Author Topic: We just ordered as fancy new camera and now I need to learn to use it  (Read 5499 times)

Offline GirlWonder

• The Runners
Sick of just using our phones--and we really enjoyed the borrowed Nikon last year for our make a wish trip.  So, we ordered a Nikon D5200 tonight.

Now I need to learn how to shoot in something other than auto mode otherwise it is going to be a big waste of money.  I am just nervous about screwing up good pic opportunities.  Maybe I will practice on things I don't care about first (aka not my kid).

Any sites/videos one would recommend on how to figure out how to learn all this stuff?

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Re: We just ordered as fancy new camera and now I need to learn to use it
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
Even in auto, you'll get very very nice pictures.

There's a lot of good pinned threads with good links/lessons in this forum.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT

Offline GirlWonder

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
You'll still get amazing pics on auto. Youtube is a wonderful resource, also. I learned a lot about my camera from there. I still haven't really learned enough to be confident enough to shoot in anything other than auto, because like you, I don't want to mess up a good pic otherwise.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »
Get this book.

Agree.  I got it because OM or LL recommended it and its a great book for natural light photography. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline GirlWonder

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
You'll still get amazing pics on auto. Youtube is a wonderful resource, also. I learned a lot about my camera from there. I still haven't really learned enough to be confident enough to shoot in anything other than auto, because like you, I don't want to mess up a good pic otherwise.

Really? Don't tell me that.  I haven't even gotten the camera yet and I have visions of being good at the exposure stuff and getting some really amazing pics.  Of course I am going to practice on things I don't care about (like scenery). When I shoot S at first it is going to be in auto. If I mess up pics of her I will be mighty upset. 

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
The very, very first thing to learn is how autofocus works on your camera, and how to get it to focus on what you want it to focus on.  READ THE FOCUS PART OF THE MANUAL.  :)

Then once you are a little comfortable, try this:   Take SOME pictures in auto, then take some in either aperture priority or shutter priority.   Those two modes allow you to fix one thing (either depth of field or shutter speed) and the camera does the rest.  That way you can compare, but you know you've got some in auto so you don't have to worry as much. 

Easy depth of field cheat:  think of a picket fence running perpendicular to you.  The lower the aperture number, the fewer pickets are in focus.  The higher the aperture number, the more pickets are in focus.

Shutter speed cheat:  the higher the number, the faster motion you can stop.  the lower the number, the blurrier the moving object.
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
The very, very first thing to learn is how autofocus works on your camera, and how to get it to focus on what you want it to focus on.  READ THE FOCUS PART OF THE MANUAL.  :)

Then once you are a little comfortable, try this:   Take SOME pictures in auto, then take some in either aperture priority or shutter priority.   Those two modes allow you to fix one thing (either depth of field or shutter speed) and the camera does the rest.  That way you can compare, but you know you've got some in auto so you don't have to worry as much. 

Easy depth of field cheat:  think of a picket fence running perpendicular to you.  The lower the aperture number, the fewer pickets are in focus.  The higher the aperture number, the more pickets are in focus.

Shutter speed cheat:  the higher the number, the faster motion you can stop.  the lower the number, the blurrier the moving object.

Agree, especially with the auto focus.  In fact, do yourself a favor and set it on center, single point focus.  Auto focus with multiple points means you're leaving it up to the camera to decide what your subject is and it will always choose the thing closest to the lens.  So if there is a shrub between you and your subject, it will focus on the shrub and your subject will most likely not be in focus.  With center single point, you put the focus box on your subject and you won't have any focus issues.

+-SUPPORT US