Author Topic: I've got upgrade itis.  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
I've got upgrade itis.
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
I've been happily plunking away with my Canon Rebel XT for a few years now, but I'm itching to upgrade.  I'm not sure if its the body or the lenses, but I'm finding that I'm missing a lot of good shots through focus issues.  I'm also envious of the advantages of the new processors and higher ISO's.  I was playing with a friend's T3 and was amazed at the quality of low light images I could take at higher ISO's.  My XT only goes to 1600 and its pretty noisy at that level.  So, toying with upgrading the body because I don't have the $ for really good glass.  Thinking about moving up to a used 50D or a T2i.  If I stick with the rebel range I can keep my current sensor ratio - so the switch would be more natural.  If I go with the 50D I get a much more robust body and more near pro features.  I thought with the release of the 70D that the 50D's would be dropping in price significantly - haven't really seen evidence of it, but if I shop around I'm sure I can get one for about the same price as a T2i.

Anyone have any thoughts / recommendations on this?
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Mrtambourineman

Re: I've got upgrade itis.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
I was poking around the interwebs and from what I gather from forum responses to other newbie photographers my focusing problem is more likely an operator error issue rather than a problem with my technology (although sometimes I wonder about my 75-300 cheap ass zoom).  I've pulled out my magic lantern user guide and am brushing up on the technical aspects of focusing to see if I can improve my results by better understaning my technology. 

I also read one of Ken Rockewell's posts where he said all anyone really needs is 6 megapixels (or was it 8?) to take great shots.  Anyhow my Camera does that so I might as well save my $ and just replace the body when the shutter eventually dies. 

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
I replaced my XS with a 60D while on vacation (the mirror motor started grinding the day before we were going to Sequoia, King's Canyon, and Yosemite.  NO WAY was I going there w/out a functioning camera).  I'm way happier, and aside of user experience improvements, I am actually seeing less noise with the newer sensor.   Well, once I turned off auto-ISO, that is....

After you re-read the manual, I'd take your camera out under controlled, well lit, boring conditions and see what happens.  If everything is fine, check in low light conditions (where AF does not work as well).  Also, if you know anyone local with better glass, see if you can borrow it and if it makes a difference in your photos.

I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
Wow, that's quite an upgrade!  I've decided to make do until the camera dies.  I'm trying to use the differnt focus settings on the camera to improve focusing on action shots (which is where I was having my issues primarily). 

Offline Bolloxd

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
DH got me an early Christmas gift, the Nikon D5200 and a 35mm lens.   :heartbeat:  It takes videos which is a big bonus for us.  I need to sell my Nikon D40 (if anyone is interested). 

I've been reading the manual, and need to re-read it, to get everything out of it that I can.  So far I love it.  I had the same focusing issue, it probably really is user error, but the new one makes user errors less of a problem. 

I knew there was a seething beast beneath the calm waters.  -Fionn

Bolloxd is the personification of still waters running deeply. -Gingerbread

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
I have been shooting with 8 mega pixels.  I think more than that is pretty much a waste unless you're printing billboard size images or cropping A LOT to get the photo you really want.

Re: focusing issues - what method are you using?  Single point or multiple point?  Also, some Canon lenses are notorious for back-focusing in certain situations.  Are you noticing a trend with lenses?

The new sensors do have much better low light response and I would love to upgrade for that feature alone, but I just can't justify it.  In my opinion, good glass is a better investment unless you primarily shoot in low light without a tripod.  Also, the sensor size is the same amongst the XT, 50D and t2i.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
I have been shooting with 8 mega pixels.  I think more than that is pretty much a waste unless you're printing billboard size images or cropping A LOT to get the photo you really want.

Re: focusing issues - what method are you using?  Single point or multiple point?  Also, some Canon lenses are notorious for back-focusing in certain situations.  Are you noticing a trend with lenses?

The new sensors do have much better low light response and I would love to upgrade for that feature alone, but I just can't justify it.  In my opinion, good glass is a better investment unless you primarily shoot in low light without a tripod.  Also, the sensor size is the same amongst the XT, 50D and t2i.

Thanks OM.  Yes, I find the focusing issue is most pronounced with my 75-300 zoom (first generation non-IS version purchased used).  The kit 18-55 is ok and my 50 1.8 seem to have less issues.  The 75-300 is a very slow focusing lense (don't think its a USM even). 

(Aside:  I thought the sensor on the 50D was the larger 1.3 sized version.   :confused:  I know the T2i is the same size as the XT.  I'm ok with the small sensor - from what I've read on some sites smaller sensors have certain advantages over full frame cameras - particularly when using cheap lenses like I do. I was thinking the T2i because its got a good reputation, its two or three generations newer than my XT and the price on the used market is very attractive). 

I tend to use multiple point focus.  Lately I've been using the action function or setting the AF to AI Servo in the hopes that the continuous tracking of that AF system would provide a higher likelyhood of in focus images.

In addition to my concerns with the AF system, the processor in my camera is now three generations old (Digic 2 vs. Digic 5) and I understand colour reporduction has improved a lot.  Sometimes I look at my images and feel that they miss out a bit on vibrancy.  As mentioned before I'd like the get the improved low light capability of the new sensors as well.  I think 8 mp is fine for me - I don't really print any larger than 8x10.  I may want to print some larger images on canvas, but I think I'll still be ok if I take a good sharp image.   

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
I think I'm still on the digic 2 as well.  Sometimes I'd like to upgrade, but my cameras are tanks and I just can't justify the expense. 

I haven't ever had good luck with multiple focusing points.  I use only one - the center one, always.  I will focus and recompose as necessary.  The single center focus point is the most accurate, and you don't have to worry about the camera out-thinking you and focusing on the closest thing in the frame instead of the thing you really wanted in focus.  The other issue I've had is that some of the lenses want to focus on the brightest thing in the frame, so if your subjects are backlit, sometimes they will also be back-focused.  I have the most problems with my 24-70 lenses (both of them), and they are notorious for that.  I send them to Canon, they adjust something, and they work great for awhile, then they back-focus again.  I bang mine around a lot though, so I think a lot of it is my fault. My 70-200, which gets banged around as much, NEVER back-focuses. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
I think I'm still on the digic 2 as well.  Sometimes I'd like to upgrade, but my cameras are tanks and I just can't justify the expense. 

I haven't ever had good luck with multiple focusing points.  I use only one - the center one, always.  I will focus and recompose as necessary.  The single center focus point is the most accurate, and you don't have to worry about the camera out-thinking you and focusing on the closest thing in the frame instead of the thing you really wanted in focus.  The other issue I've had is that some of the lenses want to focus on the brightest thing in the frame, so if your subjects are backlit, sometimes they will also be back-focused.  I have the most problems with my 24-70 lenses (both of them), and they are notorious for that.  I send them to Canon, they adjust something, and they work great for awhile, then they back-focus again.  I bang mine around a lot though, so I think a lot of it is my fault. My 70-200, which gets banged around as much, NEVER back-focuses. 

So you don't feel you have colour reporduction issues with the Digic 2? 

Good point about the multiple points. I prefer center point focusing as well. I think I had it that way initially, but switched back because I felt I was missing something.  I'll try adjusting that as well.   

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
Well, I shoot everything in RAW and can adjust my color when I process my photos, so no.  I mean, my reds are red, whites are white, blacks are black.  But I haven't seen RAW images from an updated sensor either, so I don't really know. 

+-SUPPORT US