Author Topic: Shoes! What are you running in right now?  (Read 18883 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Shoes! What are you running in right now?
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
I've long been a brooks girl. But, Picked up two pairs of Sauconnys recently. Mostly because I couldn't find last-year's models of the brooks online. So far I'm really loving both the kinvaras (wore them to track today) and the triumphs (worn yesterday on a longer run). Will be interesting to see what I find myself reaching for for my half next week.

I love brooks and am feeling a little like a cheater.

I will say the sauconny style is not as visually appealing to me. Though, I've never put much stock in that.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: Shoes! What are you running in right now?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
My daily runs are in New Balance M890s.  There have been trainers that I liked better, but I've been getting them for $40 on ebay (list $100).  I'm racing in Asics Piranha SP3.  These I absolutely love.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
Brooks Ghost
Nike Pegasus
Asics Kayano
Mizuno Wave Rider

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
brooks ghost, brooks cascadia, brooks pure grit

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
Hoka One One Bondi Bs. :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »
Brooks, Ravenna. Love them.
This space for rent.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
Currently I have a pair of Mizuno Wave 16 that give me blisters on my middle toes, even after sizing up half a size.  I am not running enough right now for that to really make a difference though.  I don't love them and probably won't buy another pair.  I may try the Brooks Ravenna next. 

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
I am devoted to Saucony.  Now I am alternating three pair of Triumph.  The old ones so they're $70 a pair, not $125.

Offline Annoying Ultrarunner Wannabe

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Pearl Izumis

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
Brooks Adrenaline, Brooks PureCadence2.  Thinking about throwing a Mizuno Inspire into the mix but not til after the marathon.   Also may throw in the Brooks Ravenna then too.  Eagerly anticipating Brooks' new shoe coming out in February, the Transcend.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Oooooh tell me about the transcend!

I am waiting for the glycerine 11's and ghost 6's to hit the clearance rack. :D

Brooks HQ is being built about 5 blocks from me- I run by it almost every day. So I think I'll continue to be a brooks devoty even if I do  :heartbeat: the saucs too!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Glycerin 11 and Ghost 6 were just released in June, so it will be awhile before you find them on sale.  Also, Brooks is very devoted to run speciality shops and intentionally keep their shoes off the bargain internet and brick & mortar retailers.   Brooks has their shit together.  Very organized and strategic.  I love them.   And they are the fun shoe company.

The Transcend will eventually replace the Trance.  The Trance is a high cushion stability shoe.  The Transcend will be similar, but they are taking out the medial post (this is usually what provides the stability) and are using some other technology and design instead.  They are saying it will be the "ultimate float experience."  :D

"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Belgian Lace

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »
Asics GT-2000.  That's it.

Caito, has Asics reworked the Nimbus?  A giant retailer had the 15's marked as stability and the 14's as neutral - but I couldn't get too upset because, well, I'm not trusting or buying anything from a place called "Dick's."  And also because they ain't my shoe.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Giant retailers suck at selling running shoes because they don't know their shit and put up dumb signs like that.  The Nimbus 15 is still a high cushion neutral shoe.  The Kayano is the Asics' high cushion stability shoe. 

The GT-2000 2 is coming very soon.  Yes, they decided to call the new version 2000 (space) 2.  Let the confusion begin!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »
I've had good luck buying the prior year models straight from brooks. That's how I got my glycerin10s. My ghost5s I paid full price for. I just bought a second pair of 5s for $70 from brooks directly. So, I'm assuming I'll be able to do that with the current ones as well. There were gly10s about a month ago and I should have just bought them, but hedged, and now they are gone. :(

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
Brooks Ravenna 4 for regular training and I just started back up with the Launch for speed.

Offline kevin871

• The Runners
    • My Running Log
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
Alternating between Brooks Pure Cadence and Pure Flow

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
Brooks Glycerin and PureConnect 2.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
For rocky trails Saucony Ride.
For roads/moderate or just rooty trails Kinvara 3
For the plush wooded trail by my house New Balance Minimus.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 07:23:06 AM »
Glycerin 11 and Ghost 6 were just released in June, so it will be awhile before you find them on sale.  Also, Brooks is very devoted to run speciality shops and intentionally keep their shoes off the bargain internet and brick & mortar retailers.   Brooks has their shit together.  Very organized and strategic.  I love them.   And they are the fun shoe company.

I definitely think that is true for their shoes.  I do find brooks running clothes at TJMaxx and Marshalls, though.  And Sierra trading post sells their shoes.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
back in Keyano 19s
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline arc918

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
After 20,000 miles in Brooks (mostly Adrenalines, with a bit of Pure Cadence at the end) in and now in Hoka Bondi B

I tried the Stinson Evo Tarmac and HATED them. I swapped them for the Bondi B and I like them ok (I'm ~ 250 mile in now). I did not instantly love them, but now that I'm used to them I run in them every day.

Offline 70.3

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
Strictly a Saucony girl ..used to get the rides but   Now wear Triumphs..
Life is not a dress rehearsal (Magic Hat #9 beer cap)

iwuzwilson

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:01 AM »
After burning through the uppers on 2 pr of Brooks Adrenaline at only 250 miles each I am trying Asics GT 2000 for late summer. Also use DS Trainer and their flat for racing. Just got a pair of DS racers for Equinox. My son works at the store here!

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »
I am slowly coming around to liking my Mizuno Wave Rider 16s now that I have over 500 miles on them and I can't find another pair of 13s anywhere on this earth. I use them for easy days.

Like Rochey, I like the Brooks Launch for tempo type sessions and for longer races.

I also just picked up a pair of the Mizuno Wave Sayanoras. They are really lightweight, almost like a racing flat. I've used them for some faster sessions. They have a little lower drop than I am used to and I feel it in my calves, though not as much lately as opposed to my first couple of runs in them.

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
Asics Gel Foundation 9 or 10 I think. Need a new pair soon but shoe prices here in Ireland are nuts. I'll wait until my move to London and then get another pair of Gel Foundations.
I have run in Foundations forever. 
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
After 20,000 miles in Brooks (mostly Adrenalines, with a bit of Pure Cadence at the end) in and now in Hoka Bondi B

I tried the Stinson Evo Tarmac and HATED them. I swapped them for the Bondi B and I like them ok (I'm ~ 250 mile in now). I did not instantly love them, but now that I'm used to them I run in them every day.
took about 50 miles on the shoes to get used to them. I love them.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
Nike Zoom Elite 6.   My legs have been doing quite well in them this summer with no foot, ankle or calf issues.  Definitely not racers as they have kind of a clunky feel to them.

I should probably snap up a couple more pairs with the next Nike clearance coupon (currently $87)

Offline simpleman

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
Altra Instinct  - zero drop wide wide wide forefoot.  Tried to get my wife to try them but she refused saying they look like clown shoes.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
Brooks GTS 12. They last, they're light and silent.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
I've only worn Asics since 1974 (back then they were called Tigers).  For distance running, I rotate Asics Gel 13 and Asics 2000.  I also have Asics Racing Flats (forget the model) for track workouts, and Asics spikes for sprinting.  Innov-8's for trail running (got a good deal from a friend).
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »
Altra Instinct  - zero drop wide wide wide forefoot.  Tried to get my wife to try them but she refused saying they look like clown shoes.
she would not say that if she saw the Hokas! LOL. DH calls them moonboots :D

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
Meri  -
My friend owns a running store and he had the Hoka rep come to the store a couple of weeks ago. She brought in a bunch of shoes and about 10 of us put on Hokas and went for a 5 mile run. I didn't really care for them. I guess if I was on a trail that might be a different - I see them on trail runners, the road not at all. Then of course she asked after what I thought. They didn't fit well for some reason. I wear a 7.5 in running shoes and those were huge so she gave me the 7s. They were still big. I keep calling them moon boots as well. One of the guys has huge feet and the shoes were just monsters. Light as anything though.

I am wearing a Brooks Glycerin on the road and I love them. For trail I'm wearing the Brooks PureGrit.  :runner:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
Hmmm. I am a road runner and the Bondi Bs are road shoes. I tried the trail ones and did not like them. I may try the new trails ones that just came out. I dunno. I am not running anything technical any time soon. Just run of the mill single track. Mine are pretty true to size, i wear a women's 11 and for long runs/races i go up to a 12 and i am in a Hoke mens 10.5

Offline ihop

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
Mizuno Wave Inspire after several years in the Wave Nirvana.  I love them.

I am thinking about trying the Asics DS trainers again.  I went through a few pairs and they did an upgrade a few years ago (4? 5?) that did not work for my foot.  I haven't tried them since.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »
Meri  -
My friend owns a running store and he had the Hoka rep come to the store a couple of weeks ago. She brought in a bunch of shoes and about 10 of us put on Hokas and went for a 5 mile run. I didn't really care for them. I guess if I was on a trail that might be a different - I see them on trail runners, the road not at all. Then of course she asked after what I thought. They didn't fit well for some reason. I wear a 7.5 in running shoes and those were huge so she gave me the 7s. They were still big. I keep calling them moon boots as well. One of the guys has huge feet and the shoes were just monsters. Light as anything though.

I am wearing a Brooks Glycerin on the road and I love them. For trail I'm wearing the Brooks PureGrit.  :runner:

DH got some a year ago, for trails.  He did not like them, either.  Only used them for a few runs.  He is going to put them up on eBay.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
Well, I think I can call this a failed experiment. The past couple of runs my shins have been hurting. That never happens to me and I haven't increased my mileage lately. Today I ended up with blisters on the balls of both of my feet. Again, that never happens. I guess I'll be ponying up the dough for a pair of Glycerin 11s. Maybe I'll keep the triumphs for those days I do 3-4 miles. Wah. I'm annoyed.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
Strictly a Saucony girl ..used to get the rides but   Now wear Triumphs..

This used to be me... but I've not been impressed with Saucony lately.   Their cushioning seems to have disappeared and the shoes don't hold up.  The mesh is getting holes quite quickly for me, and it's not like I abuse them.  I don't get it.

I just bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10's.  I couldn't believe the level of cushioning compared to the saucony's.  Now, maybe not everyone likes that much cushioning, I don't know, but I do.  I'm not fast enough to care if the shoes slow me down a bit. 

I tried the brooks because I have a pair of brooks trail shoes that are great.  I think I might be a convert, until I drop some weight at least.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
This used to be me... but I've not been impressed with Saucony lately.   Their cushioning seems to have disappeared and the shoes don't hold up.  The mesh is getting holes quite quickly for me, and it's not like I abuse them.  I don't get it.

I just bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10's.  I couldn't believe the level of cushioning compared to the saucony's.  Now, maybe not everyone likes that much cushioning, I don't know, but I do.  I'm not fast enough to care if the shoes slow me down a bit. 

I tried the brooks because I have a pair of brooks trail shoes that are great.  I think I might be a convert, until I drop some weight at least.

I agree with this. I used to be strictly Saucony and this year I bought some Brooks.  I actually lucked out and found last year's model for really cheap. normally my shoe size is gone by the time they get cheap.  saucony's have just been disappointing and it was time for a switch. My trail shoes have always been Brooks, so it wasn't a huge leap of faith for me to switch once I found a pair I liked.  Unfortunately most of the other brands do not fit my feet well, so brooks and Saucony's are pretty much the only two brands that seem to fit well (I tried on Mizunos once, but never bought them, so long term those might be ok, but have been too cheap to experiment in case I hate them.)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
asics 2000 but they rub my on my little toes...The 2170s I had before were way better. I dont know what to do though because last time I changed brands I got PF and most of the shoes out there are too wide for me.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
I dont know what to do though because last time I changed brands I got PF and most of the shoes out there are too wide for me.

I've got very narrow feet and blister very easily.  I've had a lot of success with liberal applications of bodyglide on my toes, arches, and heels and pieces of duct tape in the real problem areas.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
I've got very narrow feet and blister very easily.  I've had a lot of success with liberal applications of bodyglide on my toes, arches, and heels and pieces of duct tape in the real problem areas.

I don't get blisters I get corns. Bodyglide doesn't seem to help.

Offline mtaricani

• Turgid
  • Keep Calm And Run On
    • Old Guy Running
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Asics 2000 GT. Nice but I still miss my Asics 2170s. I heard the 2000s were running thin and that is true. I bought the same size and a bit tight on the sides. But I do like them.

lurker2003

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
Still wearing Adidas Supernova Glide.  I've tried Saucony, Brooks, Asics and NB and every single time I have tried a new shoe I've tweaked something or another.  So I haven't even tried anything new in probably 8+ years.

I totally dig change but if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Thankfully Adidas does change up the colors and styling relatively regularly.

Offline runnergirl16

• Not Dead
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
One pair of Mizuno Wave Creations, and one pair of Adidas Adistar Cushion shoes.  I alternate them, but the Adidas ones have more miles on them.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
I have Saucony Triumphs.  I tried on a bunch of different ones and narrowed it down to these and the Brooks Glycerin. 
Now I'm waiting for these to wear out so I can get the Brooks.  ;)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »
Mizuno Enigmas.  Perfect shoe for me right now.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
Brooks Adrenline for years now. I stick with what I know, but I'm intrigued by some of the new Brooks models coming out.

Offline markalan

• Not Dead
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
Saucony Hurricane
Over 70,000 young adults between 18-40 are diagnosed with some form of Cancer every year. That's 1 diagnosis in every 8 minutes. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Well, shoot.

I went into the running store last night with the intention of walking out with a pair of ghosts (check) and a pair of glycerine. Then, I tried on 9 million pairs and really liked the sauconny triumphs. Which, now, reading back to this I loved last time too-- and returned because I ended up unhappy in them. Blisters, rubbing, pain.

I can take them back and exchange them. Why oh why do I switch things up? The brooks are not my fave just walking around. But, running in them seems to fit me best!

I wanted to try the hokas but they didn't have the neutral ones in my size.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I need a new pair.  (Of course, I also need to start running again).

I will probably just go to the New Balance store.  I haven't been able to wear any other brand since high school.  Other brands either are too tight in the toe box in general, or curve before my toes do (so the shoes will be too short for JUST the 4th toe).  And since I have super narrow heels, a wide is right out.  Unfortunately, last time I bought shoes, even New Balance was down to maybe one model that was ok in the toe box because they'd changed a last or something.  I do like that they generally have decent cushioning even in their stability and motion control shoes.  I hate that the shoes are so heavy, but I need stability or motion control and I need cushioning due to some other foot issues.

I HATE buying running shoes.  It's worse than bathing suit shopping.  Occasionally, I do the running shoe store thing and after everything they recommend doesn't fit, plus a few that are marginal choices also don't fit, I go back to the New Balance store.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
Well, shoot.

I went into the running store last night with the intention of walking out with a pair of ghosts (check) and a pair of glycerine. Then, I tried on 9 million pairs and really liked the sauconny triumphs. Which, now, reading back to this I loved last time too-- and returned because I ended up unhappy in them. Blisters, rubbing, pain.

I can take them back and exchange them. Why oh why do I switch things up? The brooks are not my fave just walking around. But, running in them seems to fit me best!

I wanted to try the hokas but they didn't have the neutral ones in my size.

I bought a pair of ghosts and they are great.  I ran my last marathon (oct.) in them after having worn them on a 5-mile training run.  They are great, no blisters, good cushioning.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
Wow it's funny to look back at what I was running in just over a year ago...and especially since I was looking forward to the Brooks Transcend.  The Transcend ended up being a total flop.  They gave me a pair and I didn't like them at all...they didn't sell well either.

Now I'm running in:

HokaOneOne Clifton
Brooks Ravenna 5
New Balance 1260v3
Asics GT 2000-2

And every now and then I break out the HokaOneOne Bondi Speed 2 for recovery and the Adidas Adistar Boost for 5Ks.

A note about blisters:  Bad socks (cotton, ill-fitting) can cause blisters.   Sometimes it's the sock and not the shoe.  And sometimes the shoe is too small, not supportive enough or just fits you wrong.

Offline wonderwoman

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Salomon XR Mission 1.  They were on sale through the REI website.  I used to love Nikes and was on a New Balance kick for a long time, but these are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever had. Great for trails, roads, and treadmill. Who knew?
Flying by the seat of my pants.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

Wow it's funny to look back at what I was running in just over a year ago...and especially since I was looking forward to the Brooks Transcend.  The Transcend ended up being a total flop.  They gave me a pair and I didn't like them at all...they didn't sell well either.

Now I'm running in:

HokaOneOne Clifton
Brooks Ravenna 5
New Balance 1260v3
Asics GT 2000-2

And every now and then I break out the HokaOneOne Bondi Speed 2 for recovery and the Adidas Adistar Boost for 5Ks.

A note about blisters:  Bad socks (cotton, ill-fitting) can cause blisters.   Sometimes it's the sock and not the shoe.  And sometimes the shoe is too small, not supportive enough or just fits you wrong.

So jealous of your job perks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
I was curious to check back in to this thread too...

Still loving the Ravennas and picked up a fresh pair to prep for the Philly HM. Those are my go-to long run shoe.

I didn't end up loving the Saucony Guide 7 but I'll give those a few miles now and then for an easy run, so they're still in circulation.

Early in the fall, I got a pair of Saucony Kinvara 5's for doing faster things and I frigging love them.

Just added a pair of On Cloudsurfers - impulse buy for a steal at a race expo - and I have done one run in them so far. Interesting and I kind of dig them. They really do feel kind of fluffy, in a nice way. Anyone else running in these?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:42:50 PM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Hokas, specifically the Stimson Trail model.  If I was still pretending to be fast, I might go with a leaner shoe.  But these days, I'm just trying to spare cartilage.  Hokas are where it's at for me. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
Salomon XR Mission 1.  They were on sale through the REI website.  I used to love Nikes and was on a New Balance kick for a long time, but these are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever had. Great for trails, roads, and treadmill. Who knew?

I have these for trails. They are great. Ran a marathon in them.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
I'm knee deep in the Hoka hoopla.  I can't even run in my Mizunos anymore except for on a composite track.  On the pavement my Mizunos now feel like bricks.

+-SUPPORT US