Author Topic: Lens help  (Read 9470 times)

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Lens help
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
Any guesses as to what kind of lens was used here?

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
Lens help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
The expensive kind?
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

• has no fucks to give
Re: Lens help
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline OldBaldHippie

Lens help
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
You mentioned a lens for shooting real estate...maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Built-In-A09NII/dp/B001955P8W/ref=pd_cp_p_1

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure I could justify that price without getting a whole lot better with the camera. 

I pay pros for most of what we list so I only shoot the lower priced smaller properties where you're lucky to be able to get 5 or 6 good shots.  Really small rooms coupled with the fact that showing a 10' x 10' empty bedroom isn't very appealing.  On those I really feel less is more.

The kit lens was an 18x55mm.  I know so little at this point that I'm not sure that Tamron lens is any different in regards to wide angle shooting.  I'm thinking I need to go lower than 18???     

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »
There are some pretty good vendors of used gear.  www.keh.com and www.adorama.com usually has a pretty good inventory of Nikkor and Nikon compatible lenses.  For wider than your 18-55, how about this?

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
There are some pretty good vendors of used gear.  www.keh.com and www.adorama.com usually has a pretty good inventory of Nikkor and Nikon compatible lenses.  For wider than your 18-55, how about this?

Thanks for the links!

Do you think that lens could shoot a real small room like that pic in the OP? 

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
Found some stuff about interior shots and most are saying 12x20mm. 

I guess I'll look into that. 

Offline OldBaldHippie

Lens help
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
Do you want to take pix like this?

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Is that a Fish eye?  Probably not... at least not as a primary. 

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the links!

Do you think that lens could shoot a real small room like that pic in the OP? 
According to this guy, it would.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
According to this guy, it would.

Thanks!  I think I could justify that price....  Like I said, I'll maybe shoot 3-4 houses myself in a year... when I pay the pros, I pay $135 to $175 a throw.   

Offline OldBaldHippie

Lens help
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
Is that a Fish eye?  Probably not... at least not as a primary.

Hah...I was kidding...a realtor on Facebook posted it as a wtf?

I like that tamron 10-24 that the realtor blog suggested...you could save good money by doing this yourself...

What really helped me when I got my camera last year was to buy a good book other than the manual to learn what all of the settings mean...

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Digital-Photography-Guides/dp/1285171306/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371155337&sr=1-2&keywords=Nikon+3200

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
Judging by the odd angle of the floor, I'm guessing the photo was taken with a wide angle and then straightened in editing software.  It could also be a tilt-shift lens, but it's my understanding that with that type of lens you wouldn't get any odd angles.  Tilt-shift lenses are typcially used for architecture, but they've become a bit trendy lately.

The problem with small rooms is that you pretty much have to shoot them with wide angle, but the straight lines become angled.  You can either leave them angled or straighten them.  If you don't straighten them right, the photo will look even weirder.  The other thing about straightening them is that you lose picture information because essentially you are also cropping the photo, so if you're going to straighten them, you have to capture more room in the photo than you want so you can crop it out during straightening.

Your camera has a crop factor, probably 1.6x, so that makes your 18mm an effective 28.8mm.  That's on the high side of wide angle.  You might need to get something in the 10-12mm range for true wide angle.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »
Hah...I was kidding...a realtor on Facebook posted it as a wtf?

I like that tamron 10-24 that the realtor blog suggested...you could save good money by doing this yourself...

What really helped me when I got my camera last year was to buy a good book other than the manual to learn what all of the settings mean...

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Digital-Photography-Guides/dp/1285171306/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371155337&sr=1-2&keywords=Nikon+3200

I did get the e-book edition D3200 for Dummies.  :)  I felt that was a good place to start.   

The problem with doing it yourself on all listings is the Sellers perspective.  Hiring pros is a given here and if I did all the shots, the first phone call I'd be getting was, "I think my neighbors are getting more showings and they hired a pro... I wonder if you need to hire a pro?" 

And they'd probably be right!  I'm a true noob!   :)

Judging by the odd angle of the floor, I'm guessing the photo was taken with a wide angle and then straightened in editing software.  It could also be a tilt-shift lens, but it's my understanding that with that type of lens you wouldn't get any odd angles.  Tilt-shift lenses are typcially used for architecture, but they've become a bit trendy lately.

The problem with small rooms is that you pretty much have to shoot them with wide angle, but the straight lines become angled.  You can either leave them angled or straighten them.  If you don't straighten them right, the photo will look even weirder.  The other thing about straightening them is that you lose picture information because essentially you are also cropping the photo, so if you're going to straighten them, you have to capture more room in the photo than you want so you can crop it out during straightening.

Your camera has a crop factor, probably 1.6x, so that makes your 18mm an effective 28.8mm.  That's on the high side of wide angle.  You might need to get something in the 10-12mm range for true wide angle.

Yeah, I think the 10x20something is probably my best bet for this. 

Will that be ok for the exterior shots or will I want to change?

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
I did get the e-book edition D3200 for Dummies.  :)  I felt that was a good place to start.   

The problem with doing it yourself on all listings is the Sellers perspective.  Hiring pros is a given here and if I did all the shots, the first phone call I'd be getting was, "I think my neighbors are getting more showings and they hired a pro... I wonder if you need to hire a pro?" 

And they'd probably be right!  I'm a true noob!   :)

Yeah, I think the 10x20something is probably my best bet for this. 

Will that be ok for the exterior shots or will I want to change?

Your camera has a 1.5x crop, but the 10 - 20 something should be fine. 

Honestly, I would use the wide only when you're photographing small rooms.  To get the least amount of distortion, and a normal (what our eyes see) view, you will want to photograph as much as you can at about 35mm, for outside too.  You should use your feet to zoom in or back up instead of the lens whenever possible.  Use the wide when you need to capture a small room.  And if quantity is also important, take multiple images of a room and overlap the scene a little for a frame of reference instead of shooting at too wide of an angle for the bigger rooms.  Also, most people will shoot at their standing height, so for an interesting view, shoot from about your hip level and/or bird's eye view (stand on a chair or step stool).   

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »

And they'd probably be right! I'm a true noob!   :)

If Ashton Kutcher can manage that camera, you certainly can.  ;)

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Your camera has a 1.5x crop, but the 10 - 20 something should be fine. 

Honestly, I would use the wide only when you're photographing small rooms.  To get the least amount of distortion, and a normal (what our eyes see) view, you will want to photograph as much as you can at about 35mm, for outside too.  You should use your feet to zoom in or back up instead of the lens whenever possible.  Use the wide when you need to capture a small room.  And if quantity is also important, take multiple images of a room and overlap the scene a little for a frame of reference instead of shooting at too wide of an angle for the bigger rooms.  Also, most people will shoot at their standing height, so for an interesting view, shoot from about your hip level and/or bird's eye view (stand on a chair or step stool).   

Thanks!  Good to know!

If Ashton Kutcher can manage that camera, you certainly can.  ;)

:)

All he has to do is look good with that camera.... not going to happen here!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »
Thanks!  Good to know!

:)

All he has to do is look good with that camera.... not going to happen here!

Except Ashton Kutcher doesn't look good, with or without that camera.   :P

+-SUPPORT US