Author Topic: Experience selling gear?  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Roxy Poodle

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Experience selling gear?
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
As probably everybody around these parts knows, concert photography is my main interest. I've been shooting with a Leica D-LUX 5 for shows at venues that do not allow "professional" photography equipment (which, it appears, in this context is anything with interchangeable lenses) and a Sony NEX-7 for venues without restrictions.

However, I recently acquired an Olympus E-PL5, which I believe might work for both purposes: It's small enough that I doubt your average venue staff would realize it had an interchangeable lens, thus negating the need for the Leica; and the lenses I bought for it can shoot significantly more wide open than anything that presently exists for the NEX-7, thus making it the better option for your typical low-light gig. (I realize, of course, that I could buy an adaptor that would allow me to use different lenses with the NEX-7, but it's already not exactly the smallest, lightest thing going, so adding an adaptor to the mix isn't terribly appealing, and Olympus seems really to be excelling at building very high-performing lenses in very small packages.)

So!!! The Leica's staying because it's a fantastic throw-in-your-bag-and-take-everywhere camera, but I'm thinking about selling the NEX-7. And I have *no* idea where to begin! Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm sure I could go through a store like B&H ... imagine I'd get a lot less money, but I imagine it would also be a lot less hassle, and a lot less hassle is a pretty valuable thing in my world right now! But if it's not too complicated to sell on my own, I'd like to understand the best way to go about it. I really have no idea what I'm doing here, so ANY thoughts, recommendations, dos, and especially don'ts ... anything would be helpful! (I'm also open to being convinced that I shouldn't sell the thing! In fact, I wish somebody would convince me that keeping it is the right thing to do!!! I friggin' love that camera; just not sure I'll use it enough to make it worth keeping.)

And just because I prefer when posts on the photography forum have pictures, here's why I've fallen a little out of love with my NEX-7: This is a shot of Alice Smith at City Winery in NYC, taken with the NEX-7 with the lens wide open at 1/60 and ISO1600:

Meanwhile, here's a picture of Howie Day at the same venue, with the Olympus also with the lens wide open, but at 1/100 and ISO1250:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:16:55 PM by Roxy Poodle »

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
Re: Experience selling gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
My first choice if I were to sell any gear like that is to list on Craigslist.  You'd be able to set the price, but expect some low bidders and phishy emails.  Make sure if you do sell thsrough Craigslist that you agree to meet at an open and public place, even the lobby of a police station.  If you've never sold on places like ebay, I wouldn't suggest listing there as new sellers are often the targets of scams.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
I sold my first camera to adorama (actually traded for an upgrade). You email them what you have via their website and they tell you if they will accept it and about what they will give you. They give you a label to mail it to them so they can check it out. It was pretty easy. Otherwise I'd do Craigslist and meet somewhere very public.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Roxy Poodle

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
I sold my first camera to adorama (actually traded for an upgrade). You email them what you have via their website and they tell you if they will accept it and about what they will give you. They give you a label to mail it to them so they can check it out. It was pretty easy. Otherwise I'd do Craigslist and meet somewhere very public.

Thanks for the info about Adorama -- sounds easy enough that it's worth shooting over an email! And I'm located near both B&H and Adorama, so I wouldn't even need to get involved in mailing it in. I'd also be happy to go with store credit from either place if that would be the better deal; I'm sure I'll use it eventually!

I'm curious with Craigslist how people handle the money exchange. B&H is selling a used NEX-7 body for $900 right now. I've got a body, the kit lens, and 18-200mm zoom ($800 retail), all in perfect condition. So we're talking about a decent amount of money. Do people do PayPal exchanges beforehand? Or are people really handing over that kind of cash? I tend to think I'm leaning toward losing some money by selling back to a store just because I'm freaked out about the whole Craigslist thing!

Offline Roxy Poodle

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
Oh wow. MG's comment about Adorama sent me over to B&H's website to see if they have a similar set-up. They actually have online estimates for gear based on the condition and other accessories you have. They'd give me $1,025 for everything. For that kind of money, I'm definitely holding onto it unless I can get to the place where I feel comfortable with Craigslist. (Because right, I'm agreed with Sir Real that eBay wouldn't be the best bet for me -- I used to use eBay pretty heavily, so I do have some feedback, but it's all 7-8 years old, which I imagine is as good as being brand new!)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
Thanks for the info about Adorama -- sounds easy enough that it's worth shooting over an email! And I'm located near both B&H and Adorama, so I wouldn't even need to get involved in mailing it in. I'd also be happy to go with store credit from either place if that would be the better deal; I'm sure I'll use it eventually!

I'm curious with Craigslist how people handle the money exchange. B&H is selling a used NEX-7 body for $900 right now. I've got a body, the kit lens, and 18-200mm zoom ($800 retail), all in perfect condition. So we're talking about a decent amount of money. Do people do PayPal exchanges beforehand? Or are people really handing over that kind of cash? I tend to think I'm leaning toward losing some money by selling back to a store just because I'm freaked out about the whole Craigslist thing!
All the sales and purchases I've done through Craigslist have been cash only.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
When I bought my used body it had been listed on Craigslist, but it was a dealer who listed it.  So, I was able to go to the shop and use my credit card. 

Offline Roxy Poodle

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
Update: Even though I said I wasn't going to do it, I just sent my gear off to B&H. Thinking was two-fold:

- I did some reading into Sony's NEX system over the weekend, and I'm not convinced they're as totally committed to it as I'd want them to be before I invest any further. Since it seems like that issue could go either way, I thought I'd offload the camera while it's still got a relatively decent re-sale value.

- Turns out my B&H wishlist is about $100 more than what they projected they'd give me for my gear, so assuming the final offer comes in around that number, it'll be goodbye NEX-7, hello macro lens and some other stuff!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
Good for you!

Offline Roxy Poodle

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Good for you!

I feel good about the decision. In the perfect world, I'd have gotten another $250 for the gear, but I'll chalk that up as the cost of a quick, safe, professional, and stress-free transaction! Considering I don't think I'd ever have worked up the guts to meet a stranger off Craigslist and execute $1,300 cash transaction, it's worth the money! ... And I really want that macro lens!!! This is the one I plan to purchase: Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm f2/8 Macro Lens

+-SUPPORT US