Author Topic: Family portraits  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
Family portraits
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »
I've been asked to take group portraits during our Christmas family get together in a couple of weeks.  Group sizes will range from 2 to 30 and ages infant to 80 years old.  More than likely I'll be taking the pictures indoors unless the Indiana winter cooperates so I can take some of them outdoors.  I'd appreciate any tips on group arrangement, lighting, etc.

The equipment I have to work with.

Nikon D3100
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 50mm f/1.8g (ordered and on its way)
No external flash unit

I'm assuming I'd use the 50mm lens as long as it gets here on time.  Should I rent/buy a flash unit?  There are high ceiling in the house (I think 12-14 feet).

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
Re: Family portraits
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
I would definitely use the 50mm if you have it, otherwise stick to the 55mm end of your other lens.  Don't be tempted to go wide with the large group - step back as far as you can and squeeze people in instead.

Yes - get a flash.  If you're planning on buying one anyway and can get it now, that would be good.  If you're going to rent, maybe rent two.  You can get by with one though.  You'll want to be perched slightly higher than the group, and if you can, power up the flash to +2 or +3 (on TTL - it's Nikon so I'm not as familiar with your flash lingo) and try to bounce the flash off the wall behind you (over your shoulder).  The closer to the wall you are, the better.

With big groups it can be difficult getting everyone set up, so you'll probably want 3 tiers of people; back row standing, middle row seated, front row on the ground.  Don't worry too much about heights except for the back row - try to have the tallest in the middle and the lesser tall to the sides.  A pyramid shape for portraits is quite pleasing to the eye.  Use the same pyramid principle for the smaller groups.  Also, chairs are your friends.  You can greatly increase the overall look of portraits by staggering the heights of people.  Put an arm chair in the middle; seat someone or a couple of kidlets in the armchair, but they need to be on the edge of the seat.  Then have two people sit on the arms of the chair and the rest staggered around the sides and back and on the floor in front. 

Have fun and good luck!

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the great tips, OL.  I probably will buy an external flash, but will have to figure out a different way to bounce the flash as the room is very open with no wall behind either. 

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the great tips, OL.  I probably will buy an external flash, but will have to figure out a different way to bounce the flash as the room is very open with no wall behind either. 

You can try hanging a sheet or have some other people hold it up for you, or you can also use the ceiling, and this is where two flashes would come in handy.  You can flash from the front of your camera and remotely trigger the other to bounce off the ceiling for a wonderfully soft fill light.  If you have only one flash, try it both ways.  If you bounce off the ceiling or a sheet, you would still point the flash backwards but also up and you might have to play with the angles a bit.  If you bounce, you will really need to power up the flash because there's a lot of loss of light the more it travels.  If you flash directly at the group from the camera, use the TTL setting and it should be okay.

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
I didn't end up getting many group photos, but was able to take a few pretty good candid shots.  Here's my BIL with his grandson.  Critique welcome.

+-SUPPORT US