Author Topic: Tripod question  (Read 4925 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Tripod question
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Is it possible to get a really super light tripod to use with my point and shoot for hiking and such?  Maybe even a monopod?

My hands shake, particularly my left, and I am having more trouble taking pictures in focus.  (Which I can't always even tell until later because I don't always wear my glasses hiking).  The shake is noticeable enough that several people have commented on it in the past few months.  Finding something to rest my arm against isn't effective.

This occurred to me from the zoom thread.  I can't take zoom pictures at all because of the shake.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline AmyAmyAmy

• NTTAWWT
Re: Tripod question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
Gorillapod?

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
The short answer is yes.  There are many light weight compact tripods and camera holders on the market.  I have no experience with any of them so can't provide a suggestion. 

Another strategy for when the light is good is to go to manual and use a faster shutter speed for a particular shot (if you're not trying to be arty) and/or a higher ISO (400 perhaps?) to force the camera into a higher shutter speed when you are trying to be arty. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
The short answer is yes.  There are many light weight compact tripods and camera holders on the market.  I have no experience with any of them so can't provide a suggestion. 

Another strategy for when the light is good is to go to manual and use a faster shutter speed for a particular shot (if you're not trying to be arty) and/or a higher ISO (400 perhaps?) to force the camera into a higher shutter speed when you are trying to be arty. 

It's a small P&S, so I don't think I can change the shutter speed.  I THINK I can change the ISO, but I have no idea where in them menu that is.  I HATE the idea of carrying a tripod to use my cheap lightweight "easy" camera, but I'm getting out of focus shots because my hand shake.  Not so much if I'm not doing anything special, but if light is low or I want to zoom in on something I can't get to, it's just awful.

Offline AmyAmyAmy

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
The Gorillapod fits in my cargo pocket...

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
The Gorillapod fits in my cargo pocket...

I have one of these.  I'm not very good at figuring out where to put it when I need height.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
Tripod question
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
My hands shake too... :(

I'd look for a monopod for hiking...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:09:42 PM »
It's a small P&S, so I don't think I can change the shutter speed.  I THINK I can change the ISO, but I have no idea where in them menu that is.  I HATE the idea of carrying a tripod to use my cheap lightweight "easy" camera, but I'm getting out of focus shots because my hand shake.  Not so much if I'm not doing anything special, but if light is low or I want to zoom in on something I can't get to, it's just awful.

What brand/model of camera do you own.  I think you might be surprised at its capabilities if you spin the right dial. 
I've been doing this how long?

+-SUPPORT US