Author Topic: Pressure!  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Yogi

• Passed on to another Brane
Pressure!
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
My cousins asked me to take some photos of their eleven-month old for their Christmas photo.

I do not do portraits. I know nothing about shooting children and families. Zero. I told them this.

So... I've been reviewing some books about portraits and we're going to do it this weekend. I wanted to do it two weeks ago so they would have enough time to find a professional. But we're shooting Saturday.  Hopefully they can still find a pro if they don't like any of my shots.

I know my limits! Landscapes, wildlife, sports, monuments/statuary... that's where I put my effort and where I'm improving. Not people!!

Ack. Oh well.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Pressure!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
You can do it! Just take a zillion. They probably want something a bit better than a snapshot they could take, and they trust you. Have fun with it, and just keep shooting. And ask LL and ellen for tips!
This space for rent.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »
You can do it! Just take a zillion. They probably want something a bit better than a snapshot they could take, and they trust you. Have fun with it, and just keep shooting. And ask LL and ellen for tips!

I am definitely going to take a zillion :)

Am trying to remind myself of the basics - don't shoot down at kids, stay at eye level. Focus is on the face. Zoom in tight, get eye contact for some but I want to try to get some of her focusing on something/someone else. Nothing too matchy-matchy or studio-portraity.

I'm just nervous.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
Not sure what you've read and such, but I'll throw this out there; use a very long lens.  The longer the better, and then use an aperture of 5.6 to 8.  The very long length is flattering (for some reason the compression of space is very flattering for portraits - not sure why, it is just so! ;) ), it will also allow you to be a little further back which can make your subjects more comfortable and most of all will render a very pleasing and oof background.  For portraits, this is really important.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline Yogi

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
Not sure what you've read and such, but I'll throw this out there; use a very long lens.  The longer the better, and then use an aperture of 5.6 to 8.  The very long length is flattering (for some reason the compression of space is very flattering for portraits - not sure why, it is just so! ;) ), it will also allow you to be a little further back which can make your subjects more comfortable and most of all will render a very pleasing and oof background.  For portraits, this is really important.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks!! I have up to 200mm that opens wide so I should be able to get in really close without being on top of them, like you said. I've been looking at some professional shots online and trying to take note of what makes them "work."

Also, I told them that while I'm flattered and will obviously do my best that I won't be offended (and in fact would hope) if they decide to find a pro portrait photographer if they don't like any of my frames.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
In additon to all the other good advice I'd also be careful in setting the stage.  A simple uncluttered background for indoor or outdoor shots I've found makes the best portraits in my limited experience.  Are these indoor shots?  What sort of flash do you have? 

Edited to add:  I think you'll do great.  You have a good eye for still life composition and good exposure technique.  You just need to apply it to a person.  I'd use my 50mm with my crop sensor body for these shots if I was in your shoes. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:56:31 PM by Mrtambourineman »
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Yogi

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
In additon to all the other good advice I'd also be careful in setting the stage.  A simple uncluttered background for indoor or outdoor shots I've found makes the best portraits in my limited experience.  Are these indoor shots?  What sort of flash do you have? 

Edited to add:  I think you'll do great.  You have a good eye for still life composition and good exposure technique.  You just need to apply it to a person.  I'd use my 50mm with my crop sensor body for these shots if I was in your shoes. 

I think we're doing outside and I am concerned about backdrop. I have two parks in mind but we're going to have to stage it carefully so that there are trees in the background and not the playground, other kids, buildings, etc.

Thanks for the edit. I appreciate it. I hope I don't overthink it too much because that can lead to over-staging... at the end of the day I need to keep it simple and apply the same principles that makes other photos good. I just don't want to screw up.

I'm probably going to use a combination of my 18-55mm and my 55-200mm depending on the situation and how I feel after the test shots.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
I think we're doing outside and I am concerned about backdrop. I have two parks in mind but we're going to have to stage it carefully so that there are trees in the background and not the playground, other kids, buildings, etc.

Thanks for the edit. I appreciate it. I hope I don't overthink it too much because that can lead to over-staging... at the end of the day I need to keep it simple and apply the same principles that makes other photos good. I just don't want to screw up.

I'm probably going to use a combination of my 18-55mm and my 55-200mm depending on the situation and how I feel after the test shots.

My other lenses are an 18-55 and a 75-300.  I think the 75-300 works much better at portraits than the smaller focal length lens.  If you can't find any trees with leaves on them or a good evergreen background for the shot, I've had good luck shooting against a wall - particularly one that had some visual interest like a tile mosaic.  I assume that you will place the child on a blanket for the shots.  Again, I think that simple with careful thought given to the colour and texture are important - particularly considering what the child will be wearing.   

Offline Yogi

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
My other lenses are an 18-55 and a 75-300.  I think the 75-300 works much better at portraits than the smaller focal length lens.  If you can't find any trees with leaves on them or a good evergreen background for the shot, I've had good luck shooting against a wall - particularly one that had some visual interest like a tile mosaic.  I assume that you will place the child on a blanket for the shots.  Again, I think that simple with careful thought given to the colour and texture are important - particularly considering what the child will be wearing.   

I have a 75-300mm lens coming for Christmas :)

Good idea about the wall in the background... we could make that work. The baby will be wearing her Christmas best and I asked the parents to wear simple solid colors (no plaid!) but nothing too matchy matchy.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

Your best bet will be to find a relatively open area with lots of trees way off in the background.  This will allow light (hopefully directional!) but keep the background really soft and the further away it is the less you'll have to worry about what's in it.    Keep an eye out for trash cans and poles and if you can't get far enough away from the trees, watch for poles/trees/branches coming out of people's heads. 

Based on your lens choices, if you go under 100 mm on the lens, try to keep your min aperture at 5.6.

I agree, you'll do great!  It's nerve wracking, but pace yourself.  Don't rush yourself, and either run through your mental checklist or have it on little paper or card to remind you before you start clicking the shutter. 

Offline Yogi

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
Thanks you guys. I'm definitely NOT one of those people who picked up a camera and immediately thought I could make a fortune doing portraits. So this is all new to me. The shoot is tomorrow at 11am. If any good ones come out I'll post them but probably only for a couple days!

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
Some baby/kid photographers put things on top of their camera for the baby to look at and make them smile. I saw one that was a red scrunchie and she put those plastic eyes on it so it looked a little like Elmo.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Yogi

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
Some baby/kid photographers put things on top of their camera for the baby to look at and make them smile. I saw one that was a red scrunchie and she put those plastic eyes on it so it looked a little like Elmo.

:skep:  I am not doing that.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Luckylily

• The Runners
  • Humorless Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I just saw this--have you done the shoot yet?

The most important thing is to be relaxed and take your time. Kids can tell when their parents and the photographer are feeling stressed/rushed and they turn into the devil.

Just let them interact naturally, encourage them to play, take photos of mom and dad with the baby, tickling to make her giggle and relax.

11 months old is toddling, so a great age to get pics of her walking between the parents, holding their hands, etc.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Well, that really did not turn out the way I hoped. Oh well. I really hope my cousins find some of these to be suitable. I don't know. Here are some shots but I'll probably take them down again in a day or two. Ugh.

Edited to remove photos. Turns out they really like them! Phew.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:35:16 AM by Yogi »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »
Well, that really did not turn out the way I hoped. Oh well. I really hope my cousins find some of these to be suitable. I don't know. Here are some shots but I'll probably take them down again in a day or two. Ugh.

Edited to remove photos. Turns out they really like them! Phew.

Damn, missed the photos!   :(

Glad they liked them.  So in what way did the session not meet your expectations? 

Offline Yogi

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
Damn, missed the photos!   :(

Glad they liked them.  So in what way did the session not meet your expectations? 

Here are a few. Basically... I feel that my focus wasn't perfect, I had trouble with the creative aspect, it was really hard to engage the baby (I was a little far away and she's too young to really understand directions like "Look at her!" etc). Basically I feel these are one step above a snapshot but I would never charge anyone for them.

Also, I never really felt like I knew where the light and shadow were... I don't feel like I was able to use the light and shadow to my advantage, I was just always trying to figure out where it was and how to work with it. I never made it work for me.

The parents liked them so that's all that matters and of course we're our own worst critics!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:36:19 PM by Yogi »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Hey, thanks for posting them up again.  I think they're good shots - I particularly like the walking between the parents shot and the bench shot. 
Using a wide open aperture to get the isolation/blurry back ground makes it tough to get the focus just right. 

It looks like the light was a bit challenging - what time of the day did you take the shots?  It looks like mid day to me.  I struggled with similar lighting at Thanksgiving and ended up with some overexposed faces.  One possible strategy on a sunny day like that is to pose the group in solid shade and either use a fill flash to brighten the people up uniformly or don't use a flash and accept that the background will be a bit overexposed.   

Offline Yogi

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
Hey, thanks for posting them up again.  I think they're good shots - I particularly like the walking between the parents shot and the bench shot. 
Using a wide open aperture to get the isolation/blurry back ground makes it tough to get the focus just right. 

It looks like the light was a bit challenging - what time of the day did you take the shots?  It looks like mid day to me.  I struggled with similar lighting at Thanksgiving and ended up with some overexposed faces.  One possible strategy on a sunny day like that is to pose the group in solid shade and either use a fill flash to brighten the people up uniformly or don't use a flash and accept that the background will be a bit overexposed.   

It was basically between 11am and noon but because of the season the sun was really high. Therefore it was hard to control shadows and I couldn't really get the sun behind me completely.

Overall it was a great learning experience and I'm happy that they're happy :)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
I wish I had seen the pix.  I didn't read this thread 'til now.  :\

What's amusing to me is that we are exact opposites in terms of what we prefer to shoot.  I have to work really, really hard at landscapes and stills...but give me people, kids, families...it's where I do my best work.  Not that i can't take nice landscapes - I can - but they are much, much harder for me. 

+-SUPPORT US