Author Topic: Soup season!  (Read 12929 times)

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Soup season!
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
One of my favorite things about fall is that it's soup season. Here's a recipe for one that we really enjoy. Just had it tonight!

Red Lentil & Coconut Soup (from Vegetarian by Nicola Graimes)

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 chile, seeded and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1-inch piece fresh lemongrass, peeled and sliced
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 and 2/3 cup coconut milk
3 and 3/4 cups water
juice of 1 lime
3 scallions, chopped
scant 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onions, chile, garlic, and lemongrass and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.

2. Add the lentils, ground coriander and paprika. Pour in the coconut milk and water and stir well to mix. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the lentils are soft and tender.

3. Pour in the lime juice and add the scallions and cilantro, reserving a little of each for the garnish. Season the soup to taste, then ladle into warm bowls. Garnish twith the reserved scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Soup season!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »
I ADORE soup!!!

This weekend I made loaded potato soup. I don't really have a recipe because I made it up on the fly based on other recipes.

Basically it had lots of bacon and onion, a roux ( I like THICK) potato soup, not soupy and watery, Half& half, potatoes, bay leaf, salt and lots of pepper. Low simmer so as not to scald the milk and to make it thicken up while cooking the potatoes. It took about 45 minutes to cook all those potatoes. Then I added a giant handful of grated sharp cheddar. Garnished it in my bowl with with sour cream, more cheese, and green onions.

Not one bit healthy, but delicious as hell.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Soup season!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
Tricia, did you make the roux with something other than flour?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline debbatx

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
I want loaded potato soup SO badly now. SO. BADLY. That sounds amazing, tricia, but I'd have no idea where to start, LOL. :)

I need to start making soups on the weekend and bringing some for lunch.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
No. I used regular flour.   :(

I made a roux of a stick of butter and about 7 tbl of flour. The proportion should have been 8tbl. But since the potatoes have some thickening power, I dialed it back a bit. I let that cook a bit while I sauteed the onions and bacon in another pan.

After that I added about 6-7 cups of a mixture of milk, half and half, and vegetable stock. Let it come up to temp and let it barely almost come up to a boil. It'll thicken quite a bit. If it's too thick, you can add more liquid of your choice.

Then I added the onion mixture and about 3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut up. Low simmer until potatoes are cooked. I turned off the fire, and added about 1/2 lb grated sharp cheddar. Stir. Ladel into bowls and garnish with MORE cheese, sour cream, and green onion.

I think it would have been way better had I added a few cloves of garlic to the onion and bacon.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
Hey, Bonita, how would you feel about doing a perpetual soup thread? I love our soup threads but I have such a hard time remembering which soup was in which thread... and I end up sharing the same soups recipes a lot.  :heartbeat:

I made black bean soup on sunday. I still need to package it and freeze it but my veg needed cooking so I bought myself a few days.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
OMG, a stick of butter???  :drooling-5: Thanks!!
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
OMG, a stick of butter???  :drooling-5: Thanks!!

I was thinking the same thing...

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »
It made a hell of a lot of soup! And it was very rich, so a little serving goes a long way. OMG soo gooood.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
One of my favorite things about fall is that it's soup season. Here's a recipe for one that we really enjoy. Just had it tonight!

Red Lentil & Coconut Soup (from Vegetarian by Nicola Graimes)

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 chile, seeded and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1-inch piece fresh lemongrass, peeled and sliced
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 and 2/3 cup coconut milk
3 and 3/4 cups water
juice of 1 lime
3 scallions, chopped
scant 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onions, chile, garlic, and lemongrass and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.

2. Add the lentils, ground coriander and paprika. Pour in the coconut milk and water and stir well to mix. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the lentils are soft and tender.

3. Pour in the lime juice and add the scallions and cilantro, reserving a little of each for the garnish. Season the soup to taste, then ladle into warm bowls. Garnish twith the reserved scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.

Oh, I have to try this!

I made a dish in France sometimes that I called Coconut Green Tea lentils, where I cooked the lentils in green tea instead of water and added coconut. It tasted really good when I cooked it at home, but once I tried to serve it to other people back in the US, it just didn't turn out at all. Totally fell flat.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
I made chicken and rice soup yesterday. Very simple. I simmered the HELL out of a some chicken breast bones I had in the freezer along with onion, carrots and celery tops, salt and various dried herbs, and a couple of thighs. I had meant to take pull the meat off those once they were cooked, but I forgot about them! oops.

In another pot, I sauteed some green onion, celery and carrots, added the stock I had made. Ripped apart the thighs and added some bbq breat meat I had in the fridge. Let it simmer until the carrots were soft enough, then I added some cold rice I had in the fridge. (we almost always have rice in the fridge!) Heat it through and added chopped fresh parsley.  Boom. Done!

So comforting.

LilyLily

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
Pasta E Fagioli

About a cup of diced pancetta
2 cloves minced garlic
1 stalks of diced celery
2 diced carrots
1 small diced onion
2 TBS olive oil
3 cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
about 10 cups of chicken broth
5 sage leaves
2 stems of chopped rosemary
Smallish pasta - one box
Kosher Salt and Pepper to tasts

Saute the pancetta, veggies and garlic in the olive oil until tender.  Add the beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and herbs.  Simmer for a while....Cook pasta separately.  Once Al Dente, add to everything else.  Taste for seasoning. 

YUM!!!!!  Next time, I may add Kale.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
This thread has some of my very favorite soup recipes in it. The "very green" soup vpot(?) posted last year was new to me but will be in the rotation this year. I'll be making the tomato barley one I list nex, I think. That one was really good and very simple.

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=65334.0

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »
Debba,

Here is a potato soup from Pillsbury that looks super easy to make. I have not tried it yet, but plan on it soon. (if you can't see the recipe it means you have to sign up...that is free and I do NOT get that much spam from them.)  And the website has lots of other good recipes.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/cheesy-potato-soup-cooking-for-two/a97401b7-f9e9-48ea-9bc2-858e78f37b0c/

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
I made two soups this weekend- both turned out great!

The first is super easy tomato/barley.
Sautee 1 onion and as much garlic as you like
add 1 cup of hulled barley, 2- 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes, and 4 cups of stock
Simmer until the barley is cooked through (about 45 minutes)
Salt to taste

This was the other: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tuscan-Farro-and-Bean-Soup-235425 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
I made this on the weekend: 
I left the veggies in and also added spinach. 
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/greek-lemon-and-chicken-soup
Because PANTS

Offline ecodork

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:46 PM »
I made this on the weekend: 
I left the veggies in and also added spinach. 
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/greek-lemon-and-chicken-soup

I love Avgolemono soup! One of my cookbooks has a vegetarian version. I should make it again.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
I love Avgolemono soup! One of my cookbooks has a vegetarian version. I should make it again.

recipe please?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:55 AM »
Just made pumpkin and red pepper soup this weekend.

Next on the list is leek and potatoe....one my all time favourites. I always add some strong, blue cheese (stilton being ideal).
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
Just made pumpkin and red pepper soup this weekend.

Next on the list is leek and potatoe....one my all time favourites. I always add some strong, blue cheese (stilton being ideal).

I can manage some mild blue cheese about once every couple of years... I have a strong aversion to the blue cheese mold smell... there is no way I would be ruining leek and potato soup with it.   :P

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm thinking of making butternut squash soup to bring to Thanksgiving. Anyone have a successful recipe to share? I'd like to do a few test runs.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
I revisited the lentil soup again. This time I didn't have greens to stir in at the end, and didn't have an extra beer to throw in, but I used a bit more salt, which seems to have given it some addictive properties.

Offline ecodork

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
recipe please?

Spinach Avgolemono Soup  (from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes)

Makes: 4 cups; serves: 4 to 6

3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup white rice
3 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 eggs
2 tablespoons fresh lemon

1. in a 2-quart saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer 5 minutes longer

2. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the lemon juice. Beating constantly add 2 cups of the hot broth. Whisk the egg mixture into the remaining soup. Reheat if necessary, but do not boil.

** Be sure the soup isn't boiling when you add the eggs or else you'll end up with egg drop soup.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:56:52 PM by ecodork »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Sounds delicious, thank you!  I actually think I may have that book. :)

Offline ecodork

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Sounds delicious, thank you!  I actually think I may have that book. :)

The roasted garlic soup in that book is also quite tasty!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
I made chicken noodle soup tonight with homemade egg noodles.  Boiled the chicken with celery, carrots, onion, and fresh parsley.  After an hour, I pulled out the chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, and put the bones back in to simmer for 2 more hours.  I strained the broth, added back the chicken, and added more carrots and celery.  I brought it to a boil, let the veggies cook for about 10 minutes, and added the noodles.  It is super good.  Here's my noodle recipe:

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tb milk
1 c flour

Whisk together egg, salt, and milk.  Stir in flour.  Knead until a smooth ball forms.  Let sit for about 15 minutes, then roll out dough as thinly as possible.  Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips as thin as you can make them, and about 2 inches long.  Let dry up to two hours.  Add noodles to boiling soup, sprinkling in a few at a time so they don't lump together into one big ball.  Cook until done, how long it takes depends on how dry they are.  I think I cooked mine for 15 minutes tonight, but they weren't really very dry at all. 

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
I made chicken noodle soup tonight with homemade egg noodles.  Boiled the chicken with celery, carrots, onion, and fresh parsley.  After an hour, I pulled out the chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, and put the bones back in to simmer for 2 more hours.  I strained the broth, added back the chicken, and added more carrots and celery.  I brought it to a boil, let the veggies cook for about 10 minutes, and added the noodles.  It is super good.  Here's my noodle recipe:

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tb milk
1 c flour

Whisk together egg, salt, and milk.  Stir in flour.  Knead until a smooth ball forms.  Let sit for about 15 minutes, then roll out dough as thinly as possible.  Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips as thin as you can make them, and about 2 inches long.  Let dry up to two hours.  Add noodles to boiling soup, sprinkling in a few at a time so they don't lump together into one big ball.  Cook until done, how long it takes depends on how dry they are.  I think I cooked mine for 15 minutes tonight, but they weren't really very dry at all. 

I bet that was awesome!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
I made butternut squash soup using this recipe:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/classic-butternut-squash-soup

It was delicious! I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow. It's what's for lunch.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
It was even better the second day. Over the top delicious when I added cayenne pepper to it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
that does sound like a good addition!

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
I made a Steak and Black Bean soup last night.  I haven't used a recipe in awhile so I'll try to get it as close as possible.

1 lb london broil, cut into 3/4" cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green or red pepper, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3-4 cans of black beans, drained
2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp fresh or dried oregano
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 or 2 chopped fresh cayenne pepper

Saute onions pepper in oil, add meat and garlic.  Cook meat until browned.  Dump into crock pot along with all other ingredients, cook on low for 5-8 hours.

+-SUPPORT US