Author Topic: Old manual SLR story.  (Read 3547 times)

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
Old manual SLR story.
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
A few years ago DD1 took a college photography course.  They were required to use 35mm SLRs, either manual or auto exposure.  I dug out of the basement my 1972 Pentax Spotmatic.  After finding a modern replacement for the mercury battery (for the light meter) she was good to go.  The professor thought the camera was cool.  Fast forward to the present and DD2 is taking the same class.  The shutter just failed on that old Spotmatic.  A local camera shop said $100 to fix it.  I thought these old Pentaxes were valuable and this one has sentimental value as well.  But for the hell of it I checked out Ebay.  There were dozens of old Spotmatics listed in various conditions for anywhere from $20 - $100.  I bought one for $29.95, less the lens and free shipping.  It arrived today.  It's cosmetically in better shape than mine.  We screwed on the 50mm Pentax Super Takumar lens from the old one, put in the light meter battery and she now looks and works like new.  DD gave me a big hug.

:)

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Old manual SLR story.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
A few years ago DD1 took a college photography course.  They were required to use 35mm SLRs, either manual or auto exposure.  I dug out of the basement my 1972 Pentax Spotmatic.  After finding a modern replacement for the mercury battery (for the light meter) she was good to go.  The professor thought the camera was cool.  Fast forward to the present and DD2 is taking the same class.  The shutter just failed on that old Spotmatic.  A local camera shop said $100 to fix it.  I thought these old Pentaxes were valuable and this one has sentimental value as well.  But for the hell of it I checked out Ebay.  There were dozens of old Spotmatics listed in various conditions for anywhere from $20 - $100.  I bought one for $29.95, less the lens and free shipping.  It arrived today.  It's cosmetically in better shape than mine.  We screwed on the 50mm Pentax Super Takumar lens from the old one, put in the light meter battery and she now looks and works like new.  DD gave me a big hug.

:)

I find it so sad to see how little value those old cameras have.  I had a Pentak K1000 that I bought in university when my Olympus was stolen.  I recently gave it away to a friend for a bottle of wine because it had no real market value. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline makeda

• Passed on to another Brane
  • piggery jokery
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
Cool!

The hipsters will discover them soon...
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »
Cool!

The hipsters will discover them soon...

Yes!

I predict film will be the next new thing!  :D

+-SUPPORT US