Author Topic: Weekly Themes  (Read 38441 times)

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
Re: Weekly Themes
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »
For the week including July 4th we should do "Summer".

Another one could be "architecture"

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
Hey! Should we do fireworks?

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »
OK

Toclafane

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
Hey! Should we do fireworks?

Leggova and ferrellk might find it hard to get fireworks round July 4th, though.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
Leggova and ferrellk might find it hard to get fireworks round July 4th, though.

We won't do an **official** thread for it.  :)

Toclafane

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 09:14:36 PM »
Money
Glass
Red

Offline makeda

• Passed on to another Brane
  • piggery jokery
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
Money!!!

I think there should be a technique one in there, too.  Like bokeh (my new vocabulary word), shallow depth of field, or canted.
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
Money!!!

I think there should be a technique one in there, too.  Like bokeh (my new vocabulary word), shallow depth of field, or canted.

What's canted?

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »
shot at an angle i would think. 

Toclafane

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

Offline HeavyFeet

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »
"nice job, butt-face." -witchypoo

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
The ones at the outdoor train station were my faves.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
So what are the rules regarding commentary and the timeline? I am looking forward to some great discussion.   :)

Also, I propose a challenge on greenery/plant life, if it hasn't already been suggested. And heat. Or cold. Or maybe just extremes. Of temperature. Or just extremes of any kind!
This space for rent.

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 07:42:49 PM »
I really like the idea of a 'cold' challenge during the summer (is everyone here in the northern hemisphere?).  Esp. if we challenge folks to not use archived pics.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 06:47:12 AM »
So what are the rules regarding commentary and the timeline? I am looking forward to some great discussion.   :)

Also, I propose a challenge on greenery/plant life, if it hasn't already been suggested. And heat. Or cold. Or maybe just extremes. Of temperature. Or just extremes of any kind!

Usually we all get our reviews in within a day or so of everybody posting their pics for the theme.  I see we have already been chastised this week for being tardy!

Theme-wise, I check this thread and others for new ideas and then take some and put them in the calendar.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »
Ah, I wasn't sure if there was a certain window of time to wait, to be sure everyone who wanted to had posted before the feedback started.

I like makeda's idea for doing a cold theme in summer, and challenging people not to use archived pics.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 06:53:09 AM »
Ah, I wasn't sure if there was a certain window of time to wait, to be sure everyone who wanted to had posted before the feedback started.

I like makeda's idea for doing a cold theme in summer, and challenging people not to use archived pics.

People are supposed to use new pics, but sometimes it gets away from them, and they use archived ones.  We always let them slide.  But, the idea is to use your camera on a regular basis to improve, and you can't do that if you're rifling through your old stuff instead of trying to see the world in a new way.

We all try to get our submissions to the thread in by Mondays.  Starting critiques on Monday evenings is pretty safe.  :)

ETA by archived I mean older than the themes presented here.  We've put the themes several weeks in advance so that if the mood strikes you to do one ahead of time, you know what the themes are for each week several weeks out.  (It's early and I hope I am making sense).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:55:43 AM by ellenshana »

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 07:38:51 AM »
People are supposed to use new pics, but sometimes it gets away from them, and they use archived ones.  We always let them slide.  But, the idea is to use your camera on a regular basis to improve, and you can't do that if you're rifling through your old stuff instead of trying to see the world in a new way...

...ETA by archived I mean older than the themes presented here.  We've put the themes several weeks in advance so that if the mood strikes you to do one ahead of time, you know what the themes are for each week several weeks out.  (It's early and I hope I am making sense).

That makes sense, and jives with what I already thought about how it works with archived pics in general. For the idea of a "cold" challenge, I see that push to go with non-archived pics as a way to do more of what we did with the money thread. Exclude the obvious...no snow on the ground, icicles, frozen ponds, etc. How can we stop and think carefully about a composition & concept that says cold, when our own mind is sweating? I think it's neat to push themes that will challenge us technically, but also conceptually...push ourselves to think about the story our picture is telling and how we can deliberately create a feeling that touches particular senses, so we can feel the chill, even though that's not where we are now.
This space for rent.

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »
Exclude the obvious...no snow on the ground, icicles, frozen ponds, etc. How can we stop and think carefully about a composition & concept that says cold, when our own mind is sweating? I think it's neat to push themes that will challenge us technically, but also conceptually...push ourselves to think about the story our picture is telling and how we can deliberately create a feeling that touches particular senses, so we can feel the chill, even though that's not where we are now.

yeah, that's what I was thinking. 

+-SUPPORT US