Author Topic: Error Reports  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: Error Reports
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
I was however just able to post it using Tapatalk. That appears to be the workaround.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »
Same thing just happened posting in another thread. There are no weird symbols or anything like that. It’s just the standard same error message that is resolved by using Tapatalk
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
I attempted to post this in the am I an a$$hole thread:

You're the mom here. Mother's Day is for to do as you see fit. Scout is the a$$hole.

Got the same old message:

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator

The problem is that the error message tells us nothing about what went wrong and there are no entries in the forum's error log.

If you could send the exact failing post that you tried to webmaster@chrunners.net I will take a look at it.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Trotter

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 03:44:56 PM »
My head too!  I used to know a thing or two about web server administration, scripting, and backend database management, but my fevered brain moved on to other things and I'm way out of that loop now.  trotter seems to know a thing or two about this stuff and is apparently on summer break.  Seems like a nice pro bono opportunity.  Maybe you should read him in and see if he can figure out a more elegant solution. 
Mike, I'm not a SMF pro, but I do dev work in PHP and open-source SQL databases, so I might be able to help with the charset mismatch thing. But I totally get it if you'd rather not have a hacky dude poking around, especially when you've looked into this way more and with a more knowing eye than I have & have gotten things pretty settled with the string replaces. But my messages and email are open.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
I appreciate it Trotter.

What I am currently doing is for every known character problem I am having the code change it to a substitute that does not throw an error.

I just discovered how to do it for the thread title.  In fact, I believe that the degree symbol issue is solved.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Ergonomic Mouse

• NTTAWWT
  • Behind the Redwood Curtain
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »
Most of the posting errors seem to be due to characters that cannot be handled by the database.

My task now is to discover the actual characters and intercept them before the post is inserted into the DB.  The latest one that I found thanks to Arrojo is a type of right quotation with the decimal code of 8217.  It should now be converted to a standard single quote.

Offline Trotter

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
Mike, the common thread here is that error happens when someone tries to post something involving a UTF-8 character that doesn't overlap with the ISO-8859-1 set. And it looks like it gets resolved when you swap in a ISO-8859-1 character.

But this doesn't mean the database can't handle UTF-8. The fact that folks can bypass the troubles by using Tapatalk confirms this. So the problem's happening because the SMF encoding isn't harmonizing with the database encoding.

Check the database encoding charset. According to the site's HTML and JS files, the site is telling every user's browser to expect ISO-8859-1 characters. That's SMF's default, for old school legacy reasons. But if you're using an updated MySQL database, the charset might well be set to UTF-8 by default. If there's a mismatch, that might be the root of the problem. The system is behaving like there's some funky double encoding going on, which is messing up input escaping & causing the database to reject inserts.

If there's a charset mismatch, I would think that you can get well down the path to repairing it by converting the charset to UTF-8, which the SMF folks discuss here: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme. If the DB is already using UTF-8, you wouldn't need or want to convert it again.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
Mike, the common thread here is that error happens when someone tries to post something involving a UTF-8 character that doesn't overlap with the ISO-8859-1 set. And it looks like it gets resolved when you swap in a ISO-8859-1 character.

But this doesn't mean the database can't handle UTF-8. The fact that folks can bypass the troubles by using Tapatalk confirms this. So the problem's happening because the SMF encoding isn't harmonizing with the database encoding.

Check the database encoding charset. According to the site's HTML and JS files, the site is telling every user's browser to expect ISO-8859-1 characters. That's SMF's default, for old school legacy reasons. But if you're using an updated MySQL database, the charset might well be set to UTF-8 by default. If there's a mismatch, that might be the root of the problem. The system is behaving like there's some funky double encoding going on, which is messing up input escaping & causing the database to reject inserts.

If there's a charset mismatch, I would think that you can get well down the path to repairing it by converting the charset to UTF-8, which the SMF folks discuss here: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme. If the DB is already using UTF-8, you wouldn't need or want to convert it again.

Not happening.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »
Got the same one I screenshotted above while attempting to quote a post.  Removed the quote and it posted fine. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 09:25:47 PM »
Not an error report, but why am I getting subscribed to topics?  I'm not actively choosing this and I'm getting a bunch of notification emails for "topics I've subscribed to".
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
I can't see my sent messages.  Just get the database error screen when I try.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 10:39:40 PM »
I can't see my sent messages.  Just get the database error screen when I try.

Try it again.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 10:42:32 PM »
Try it again.

Works now, thank you!

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 10:47:31 PM »
Not an error report, but why am I getting subscribed to topics?  I'm not actively choosing this and I'm getting a bunch of notification emails for "topics I've subscribed to".
If you look at your Profile->Notifications you will see 23 pages of topics to which you are subscribed.  You can un-notify individually or a page at a time.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
Works now, thank you!

The forum Error Log had multiple entries with your name on them like this:

Database Error: Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'chrunners.pm.id_pm' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

SELECT MAX(pm.id_pm) AS id_pm, pm.id_pm_head
FROM smf_personal_messages AS pm
WHERE pm.id_member_from = 1782
AND pm.deleted_by_sender = 0
GROUP BY pm.id_pm_head
ORDER BY pm.id_pm DESC
LIMIT 0, 20

I changed this setting: sql_mode=only_full_group_by.  But why you got the error and I don't is a mystery.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
There's something quirky with the members list.  It looks like a good chunk of it was copied twice. And when you try to search for members by letter, it pulls up a different part of the list (i.e. searching for usernames beginning with K pulls up Y, Z, and then back to A).  They're all in there in one place or another though.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2021, 03:19:47 PM »
There's something quirky with the members list.  It looks like a good chunk of it was copied twice. And when you try to search for members by letter, it pulls up a different part of the list (i.e. searching for usernames beginning with K pulls up Y, Z, and then back to A).  They're all in there in one place or another though.

I am not seeing that behavior.  There are 39 pages of members and I do not see any dupes.  If I search by a single letter all members with that letter in their name are displayed.

Offline Trotter

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »
Mike, there are no error messages about this, but a bunch of posts are getting cut off. You can just look at recent posts in the vaccination thread and some others to see examples of this. I've had issues with it for over a week, and it looks like others have as well.

The common denominator is that people use a character outside the ISO-8859-1 set (and this often seems to be happening when people quote a user who posted something from Tapatalk or paste something from an outside source), and then the rest of what they wrote gets escaped, so the post only contains their text up to the character that caused the glitch.

For me, this has sometimes happened even when I just use a comma in a browser (whether Chrome or iOS Safari). But not always. This post has commas and, if you're reading it, it still worked.

So it looks like, rather than replacing the non-ISO-8859-1 character, the code is just escaping the post.

Some examples of posts where this happened today. There are a bunch of other examples as well; all have the same characteristics:

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=127337.msg3434400#msg3434400 (the character that caused the cutoff was an angled quotation mark in the quoted post, which came from Tapatalk; scroll down in the thread to see it happen when MM tries to quote the same post)

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=127337.msg3434526#msg3434526 (post cuts off when I used a comma)

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=127523.msg3434277#msg3434277 (cutoff happened when poster tried to paste an article)

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 05:55:24 PM »
I was just going to post what Trotter posted without the knowledge or insight. Just that I can't see things people are cutting and pasting (including my own once it's posted).

+-SUPPORT US