Forum > Food

Frying an egg in olive oil

(1/4) > >>

tazawa:
I have a hard time getting my eggs just right. Looking up another recipe, I stumbled on one of those click-bait headlines: fry your egg like the Portuguese do! I clicked. The advice was simply use a generous amount of olive oil brought to a high temp, but then turned down to medium, add egg to skillet, then use a spoon to pick up oil and spoon over the yolk until firm. It works great. It also improves the texture (to me, at least). Has everyone always known this and I'm just late to the show?

caribougrrl:
I have never seen that technique.

I only ever fry eggs if I am also frying bacon... but I guess what I do is kind of similar. When the bacon is done, remove from pan and turn the heat down. Add eggs. Baste with bacon grease if you are getting impatient. I only do that to cook the white though, not until the yolk is firm. I like a messy runny yolk.*

*in a fried egg... prefer less messy for a poached egg and downright custardy for a boiled egg

merigayle:
What end product are you looking for with your eggs?

Magic Microbe:
I flip my fried eggs

tazawa:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on April 14, 2021, 02:54:53 PM ---I have never seen that technique.

I only ever fry eggs if I am also frying bacon... but I guess what I do is kind of similar. When the bacon is done, remove from pan and turn the heat down. Add eggs. Baste with bacon grease if you are getting impatient. I only do that to cook the white though, not until the yolk is firm. I like a messy runny yolk.*

*in a fried egg... prefer less messy for a poached egg and downright custardy for a boiled egg

--- End quote ---
That's my mom's technique, but I rarely do bacon.

--- Quote from: merigayle on April 14, 2021, 04:29:19 PM ---What end product are you looking for with your eggs?

--- End quote ---
slightly crisp on the edges with the yolk runny. I don't mind flipping, as MM does, but I suck at it and always seem to break the yolk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version