Forum > Food

Camping Meals

<< < (2/5) > >>

caribougrrl:
frozen meals will also help keep a cooler cold... soup/chili/curry/etc. can be made ahead, frozen, then packed in the freezer for the later parts of the trip... it can thaw out and still be good for a few days if you can keep it cool... generally, the more water content, the longer it will stay frozen/partially frozen... so plan to eat curry before soup

I do the same trick with meat... anything for days 1-3 can be packed fresh, other stuff packed frozen to slowly thaw. We almost always plan for fish on day one, just because it's best super fresh and it's a bit of fun cooking fish on a fire. Whatever fish is fresh + some kind of leafy green with garlic, lemon slices and a bit of oil or butter, wrapped in aluminium foil (fold it like an envelope, and leave space for steam)... and even if you overcook it by accident it will stay moist.

diablita:
I do the same thing - pack veggie proteins and dish frozen so they thaw slowly. Also pre-made chili is great and good for several meals. Frittata is another good one. TJs has bagged veg meal kits like stir fry miso veggies with rice I just made here (glamping) last night.

oblio:
Great ideas! We are flying to CA and renting the van from there, so we cant do much prepping, but fish is always easy and I'm sure there will be a TJ's (or equivalent) somewhere for frozen meals.

I'm thinking we will have a grill at most campsites, so that is a good option for the nights we aren't too tired/do s good job of planning ahead for wood and groceries.

caribougrrl:
another camping meal favourite, maybe because we never ever eat hotdogs unless we're camping, is banh mi hot dogs... if you have vinegar and salt, you can easily quick pickle carrots and radish (thin slices or julienned) in a bowl... cilantro, sliced hot pepper, pate or mayonnaise, all on a bun with a campfire cooked hot dog... it's pretty fun, but definitely not low sodium or low calorie...

caribougrrl:
the talk of shakshuka and salsa in the tomato thread has reminded me that the last time I went camping with my parents, dad made eggs cooked in salsa... as in, he emptied a jar of salsa into a pan, brought it to a simmer, and poached eggs in the salsa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version