Author Topic: Winter Comfort Food  (Read 6978 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Winter Comfort Food
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »
So, the boyfriend loves his Instapot I got him.  I've stayed over due to weather threat and he is feeding me so well!

Tomato soup (with my suggestions to use the fire-roasted tomatoes and add some roasted red peppers) and gouda grilled cheese.

Last night he made pulled pork (with BBQ sauce because he doesnt like ketchup as the recipe called for).

Tonight, I suggested "shepherd's pie" using leftover pulled pork, instant mashed potatoes, and cheese (he suggested gouda and then broiled for a bit).  Delicious!  We really do food well together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Winter Comfort Food
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:59:28 AM »
Yeah lots of soups here! most recently lentil and veggie chili. The lentil in the IP, chili on the stove.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
That Shepard’s pie looks amazing RG!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »
we have recently been enjoying a couple of really simple, one-dish, and surprisingly delicious cabbage dishes (both from bon appetit):

winter salad with haloumi: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-winter-vegetable-salad-with-halloumi
(we go heavier on the cabbage on this one compared to the photo, which makes me realize it's actually a squash dish!)

caramelized cabbage https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/caramelized-cabbage

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:12:11 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »
Yum! I do love shepherds pie. Or anything with mashed potatoes, really.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:22:46 PM »
And I just saved both of those cabbage recipes. I always have cabbage.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
Those look great bou! I was actually coming in here to start a cabbage thread!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
My mouth is literally watering.  Love haloumi and cabbage.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
what is double-concentrated tomato paste?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
what is double-concentrated tomato paste?

I don't know, we just use tomato paste.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
I buy this - it comes in a tube like the tubes of anchovy and garlic paste.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
I might try that second cabbage thing then.  Does cabbage do to your stomach what too many brussels sprouts does?   (Just need to know how much I can eat).  Does it do ok for leftovers?\\

I finally bought an immersion/stick blender, so I will probably try to make tomato soup this weekend.  I don't see why simmering on the stove for an hour vs using an InstaPot should require a much different recipe, and I like the soup my boyfriend makes.  (There may be an InstaPot in my future.  THe boyfriend helpfully suggests that I do not need cabinet space & that I can just put it on top of the fridge when not in use).

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
I don't actually know what brussels do to your stomach b/c mine's ironclad.  Gas?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't actually know what brussels do to your stomach b/c mine's ironclad.  Gas?
Yes.  Not on the level of hummus.  But definitely not something I want to do on conference calls, lol.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 07:23:22 PM »
Does cabbage do to your stomach what too many brussels sprouts does? 

Yes, it's the fiber.  I ate an entire cabbage one time.  Should have scheduled a colonoscopy for the next day. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »
To get back to winter comfort food: Mine is plain boring split pea soup.  DH loves it, and it's easy to make in the crockpot. I am all for it.  He's always happy when I serve it.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
I actually like split pea soup.  I haven't had any in forever.

I am currently making tomato and roasted red pepper soup.  I have added a splash of bourbon and some bourbon smoked paprika.  And contemplating a pinch of cayenne.

Oven is heating for gruyere toasts.  (I only have shredded, which is too messy for grilled cheese.)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 09:19:26 PM »
same here.  love split pea soup.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 09:50:10 PM »
I'm clearly not a super taster.  In retrospect, most of the seasoning should have been doubled.  Still, it is VERY GOOD.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:50:24 PM by rocketgirl »

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 12:35:15 AM »
I made chicken noodle soup this week, but thickened it up a little so the broth was almost the consistency of gravy. Then served over mashed potatoes. It's totally carbalicious, but it really hit the spot on a snowy day.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:06 AM »
That looks delicious, RG!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »
Yes soups and stews and greens and sweet potatoes and winter squash and roasted things here. Stirfry veggies and tofu and brown rice is a big one for me. Also soup with dumplings. But I make this kind of thing year round here. It's 40 degrees & rainy in the winter and 50 degrees abd rainy the rest of the year.

This is a new addition to my comfort food rotation. It's one of those things i could eat exclusively for all the rest of my days and never be sad.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sos-pwa-nwa-and-mayi-moulen

This was last year's addition. Also amazing (it's really a nyt recipe from Alison Roman but this blog isn't behind a paywall).
https://pamelasalzman.com/spiced-chickpea-stew-with-coconut-and-turmeric/

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
re: seasoning, if it calls for a tsp I add a tbs. Unless the source is trustworthy. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 12:02:23 PM »
This one looks like it has potential but I usually have to make my own curry paste (not veg). I think it also probably needs a dose of acid.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-curry-lentil-soup

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
I made a red curry ramen soup last night with the veggies in the house (broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, onion, etc). Very warming.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »
re: seasoning, if it calls for a tsp I add a tbs. Unless the source is trustworthy. 
I also tend to mash recipes and make modifications, so... the under-salting and under-peppering was probably on me since I didn't measure.  I did measure the paprika and the oregano - and more would have been better.  (I also measured the sugar, used slightly less than called for, and less of that would have been fine - probably none would have been fine.)

I think it would have been good with some cayenne, but a pinch was all I had left in my spice jar and it didn't make an impact at all.

At least under-seasoning you can fix - I added salt, pepper, and basil at the table.  (The recipes I looked at didn't call for basil, but it's tomato soup so of course it worked).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
Oh yeah. I always salt & pepper to taste. I like my food salty!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 04:11:14 PM »
Oh yeah. I always salt & pepper to taste. I like my food salty!
Mmmm me too. I love salt. I don’t eat a lot of processed foods, so I don’t feel too guilty about salting the food I cook.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 07:41:56 PM »
Well, I bought stuff for the cabbage.  Hope to make it Tuesday or Wednesday.  I have no idea what I will do with all of it, how it needs to be stored or any of that.  I also did not know how heavy a cabbage was and I do not have plans for any 4 lbs of cabbage.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »
I made CG’s winter salad with halloumi and it was delicious! Very different. I made it per the recipe. Next time I will use more cabbage as it does shrink down a lot during the bake, and I will also slice the squash thinner so it doesn’t have to bake as long. The colors are beautiful.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »
Yes soups and stews and greens and sweet potatoes and winter squash and roasted things here. Stirfry veggies and tofu and brown rice is a big one for me. Also soup with dumplings. But I make this kind of thing year round here. It's 40 degrees & rainy in the winter and 50 degrees abd rainy the rest of the year.

This is a new addition to my comfort food rotation. It's one of those things i could eat exclusively for all the rest of my days and never be sad.

This was last year's addition. Also amazing (it's really a nyt recipe from Alison Roman but this blog isn't behind a paywall).

I just bookmarked these recipes. They look great.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »

I have never heard of the first one but all of the ingredients are very Caribbean. They sell little bundles of green onions and fresh thyme year round, and it goes into everything.  I’m looking forward to trying this recipe out.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
I have never heard of the first one but all of the ingredients are very Caribbean. They sell little bundles of green onions and fresh thyme year round, and it goes into everything.  I’m looking forward to trying this recipe out.

I had never heard of it either. But, yes, very Caribbean. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 03:50:44 PM »
I have decided next week lunch's are going to be soup lunches. What I have on deck, chicken noodle soup, creamy tomato tortellini with white beans, a lentil type soup, potato soup, and probably a minestrone. I plan on making all from scratch at some point over the weekend. The problem is i am essentially the only one who will eat soup so I have to pare the recipes down all teh time and that can be a pain (I made a ton of potato soup in the fall and froze it, it did not freeze well....the others on my list should do ok frozen.)

For other winter comfort foods, I made a lot of beef stew. I  made braised beef over noodles and pot roast. Also lasagna. Those are all comfort foods to me for some reason. (I have also really been into grilled cheese.)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
One way to go is make a pot every week or so (or two if you dont want to eat the same thing all week). That way you build up a nice variety of soup over time. Most soup freezes great. Dairy based soups might break though.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 09:05:24 PM »
Thank God I made all that tomato soup.  I have been eating off it all week.  Crazy, crazy hours at work.  Probably going at least until midnight AGAIN.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 10:49:19 PM »
Ugh. That's too much! I need to drag myself back to my desk and I'm procrastinating.

This one looks like it has potential but I usually have to make my own curry paste (not veg). I think it also probably needs a dose of acid.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-curry-lentil-soup

I made this tonight and it was so easy and yummy! I added 1/4 cup barley and a fresh chili which was a good choice.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »

I made it tonight. It was very good. I substituted brocolli for the leafy greens.  Didn't have those in the house.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 09:09:11 PM »
we have recently been enjoying a couple of really simple, one-dish, and surprisingly delicious cabbage dishes (both from bon appetit):

winter salad with haloumi: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-winter-vegetable-salad-with-halloumi

I made the second one tonight (with red cabbage).  It was more work than I expected, and I totally need a splatter guard.  Really different flavors, but tasty.

What would you have with it normally?  I had no idea what to expect, so I just had it with Conecuh sausage and buttered toast. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:41:24 PM by rocketgirl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 06:30:33 AM »
I made the second one tonight (with red cabbage).  It was more work than I expected, and I totally need a splatter guard.  Really different flavors, but tasty.

What would you have with it normally?  I had no idea what to expect, so I just had it with Conecuh sausage and buttered toast. 

we eat it with plain yogurt and crusty bread

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 01:06:31 PM »
I don't really eat plain yogurt and they only had it in giant tubs at my grocery, so I had some sour cream with it, but that's more of a condiment than a food.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »

(we go heavier on the cabbage on this one compared to the photo, which makes me realize it's actually a squash dish!)

I made the second recipe tonight. The sauce is the bomb. Yum. But the cabbage wasn’t anything special. It didn’t carmelize in the oven. I also didn’t see any benefit to frying it before putting it into the oven. Do you have any suggestions? Cook longer, higher temp? Fry longer?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »
I fried it until brown and some parts nearly burnt.  You also have to slice thinly enough.  (Mine kind of fell apart off the core though).

The flavor wasn't as pronounced as say roasted Brussels sprouts.  I cooked mine in the oven 55 minutes and still had a lot of liquid that didnt burn off.  (I used an enamel over cast iron briaser.  I don't know if that affects the cooking).

I did save the liquid separately from the leftover cabbage.  When I reheated leftovers last night, I put some of the liquid and some additional oil in the pan to reheat.  It reheated well that way.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2021, 10:53:05 AM »
I didn’t fry it enough, then. That makes sense. Next time I’ll make smaller slices too.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
Is the halloumi salad hearty enough for dinner?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
Is the halloumi salad hearty enough for dinner?
Yes, I think so.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Tapatalk

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »

I just made the Sos Pwa Nwa and Mayo Soulen. Sooooo good. You’re right, I could eat that every day. And the recipe is written so well.

Im going to put this on a weekly rotation.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »
Ugh. That's too much! I need to drag myself back to my desk and I'm procrastinating.

I made this tonight and it was so easy and yummy! I added 1/4 cup barley and a fresh chili which was a good choice.
I just made it for lunch in the instant pot and it was delicious.  I had some leftover red curry paste to use up, and it worked well, and omitted the salt because I was using regular broth cubes and water. I should have used less water since it was in the instant pot.

+-SUPPORT US