Author Topic: Foods that give you a lot of bang for the buck  (Read 5511 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Foods that give you a lot of bang for the buck
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 06:11:20 PM »
I would totally eat savory oatmeal.  (I mean, if I didn't have to make it or it came in the instant packet).
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:30 PM »
I should probably give oatmeal another chance. I do really like those oatmeal and peanut butter Girl Scout cookies, maybe I could try it with PB.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 07:48:45 PM »
When I was a kid oatmeal made me gag. But I realized it is that I don't like how my mother prepares it. She would make it really soup and then add tons of cold milk.

I like mine really thick. Like I will let it cool to room temp and solidify. Hot is ok too but it has to be thick. And no milk, for heavens sake! I love it savory or sweet.

I'm not anti carb. But sometimes carbs just add unnecessary calories. Like tortillas can be 150+ calories each and I'm just as happy with my taco fixins on a salad and end up with way more food (or less calories) that way. Just as one example. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:08 PM »
I know this awful, but I've seriously eaten garlic toast for dinner before.  Not regularly or anything, but sometimes that's just what I want.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »
We make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal every week in the instant pot and reheat during the week. Super easy and tastes great. I don’t usually eat it, but DH and the kids love it.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
We make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal every week in the instant pot and reheat during the week. Super easy and tastes great. I don’t usually eat it, but DH and the kids love it.

You know, I haven't tried it in my instant pot. I should do that. I made some overnight in the crock pot once. It was ok. But the IP would help speed up the process as well (I actually like McMann's instant Irish oats, those only take about 6 minutes.) I like the irish oats better than regular oats because of the texture. I feel like regular oatmeal has a really gross texture and is essentially flavorless. Though Irish Oats don't have much more flavor. I also prefer it thick and I only use water as well.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
I’ve developed a taste for homemade muesli. Old fashioned oats, chopped apple, raisins or craisins, chopped nuts or peanut butter, a dab of yogurt, cinnamon, and enough juice to soak up in the oatmeal. I don’t cook it. I just let it set for a half hour or so and eat it.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
Ribeye steak.  No, seriously. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
I don't know what you don't like about oatmeal, but I have found I much prefer Irish Oats over regular oats. I really don't like regular oatmeal (unless in cookie form.) I don't make mine sweet as that grosses me out. But I admit I haven't quite gone the savory route (plenty of recipes out there for savory oatmeal.) I tend to just put some almonds on top and mix in some ground flaxseed. Now, i won't say this is my favorite breakfast or anything, but it can definitely be filling.

Agreed on trying different kinds. I like the Scottish oats from Bob's Mills for breakfast. I add a bit of unsweetened carob powder, and that's it. It's been my breakfast for years now.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
You know, I haven't tried it in my instant pot. I should do that. I made some overnight in the crock pot once. It was ok. But the IP would help speed up the process as well (I actually like McMann's instant Irish oats, those only take about 6 minutes.) I like the irish oats better than regular oats because of the texture. I feel like regular oatmeal has a really gross texture and is essentially flavorless. Though Irish Oats don't have much more flavor. I also prefer it thick and I only use water as well.
Steel cut is great in the IP, i make a big batch and then reheat over the week.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
I don't know what you don't like about oatmeal, but I have found I much prefer Irish Oats over regular oats. I really don't like regular oatmeal (unless in cookie form.) I don't make mine sweet as that grosses me out. But I admit I haven't quite gone the savory route (plenty of recipes out there for savory oatmeal.) I tend to just put some almonds on top and mix in some ground flaxseed. Now, i won't say this is my favorite breakfast or anything, but it can definitely be filling.

I have recently started buying sprouted oats... and I eat them raw (with yogurt or milk). The texture is completely different than regular rolled oats... almost crispy. Today I added ground cardamom and zested orange rind. My better half had hers with turmeric, black pepper, and ginger.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
I'll look for sprouted oats. I think I would like a crunchy texture.

I inadvertently had garlic flavored oatmeal this morning. It was on accident because I have no idea how garlic flavor was added to the oats. I cannot figure it out. I added ground flax seed (not the likely culprit) and some slivered almonds. It may have been the almonds as those came from a cooking package where I did not add the almonds. But typically the almonds in those packages are just plain (and I tried one out of the bag and it tasted plain to me.) I did not add salt to the water, so it is not as though I could have added garlic on accident. anyway, it was ok with garlic. I think it would have been better if I had been expecting it.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
Another good food for bang for your buck is roasted chicken. We always have one in the fridge and it serves as fillings for tortillas, soup, alone with salt when I just need a protein bump, etc.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
Another good food for bang for your buck is roasted chicken. We always have one in the fridge and it serves as fillings for tortillas, soup, alone with salt when I just need a protein bump, etc.
We have a rotisserie spit for our air fryer. Roasted chicken is awesome in there.

+-SUPPORT US