Author Topic: Foods that give you a lot of bang for the buck  (Read 5559 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Foods that give you a lot of bang for the buck
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »
Since I’m doing the WLC, I’m trying to eat foods that keep me on plan but also leave me feeling feeling really satisfied (e.g. not starving again an hour after I eat).

Things that seem to work for me:

- something protein based with a little fat
- something with lots of volume but low calories

I made soup tonight with a leftover chicken and that was pretty good. I had two big bowls.

I’d love some inspiration from other folks in this vein.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Foods that give you a lot of bang for the buck
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:23:41 PM »
Eggs, especially egg whites.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »
Eggs,  lowfat dairy (cheese,  cottage cheese, greek yogurt). Lots of veggies along with my protein and skipping a traditional "carb". A big salad instead of a bread or tortilla for tacos or sandwiches.

If I'm craving something sweet eating something high protein (a string cheese, a hard boiled egg, plain greek yogurt) and then waiting 30 minutes. 

Soup.

Training myself to eat a reasonable portion. Like eating an apple and a lf string cheese is a 150 cal snack.

A cup of soup and a low carb tortilla with one egg and one ounce of lowfat cheese is about 300 calories. It's not a ton of food but it's very satisfying. 

Today's lunch was kale, an egg, low fat mozz & tomato sauce. 220 calories and very satisfying.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:14:37 PM »
if carbs are OK: oatmeal, plain/no added sweeteners.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:21:01 PM »
if carbs are OK: oatmeal, plain/no added sweeteners.

I’m not ANTI carb, but I find that they don’t keep me satisfied for as long, so if I’m trying to lose weight they aren’t my first go to. I do keep them in the mix, though.

I really want to like oatmeal, but unless it’s a cookie or in granola I struggle with it.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:15:10 AM »
Mini ice cream cones from TJs. 70 cal and with a little bit of red wine it feels like a huge treat. Probably not what you’re asking for :D

If it’s low sugar, a big pile of roasted veggies, especially broccoli, is good. I agree protein with some fat, so a nice piece of salmon, seared tuna with avocado, steak of some sort. I can pretty easily skip breakfast and lunch and have most of my calories at dinner, but if I’m hungry I can have a bowl of cottage cheese with salt or a fried egg on a wasa cracker and do fine.

I’m most successful when I skip the carbs and make the big parts of my plate veggies with a side of protein and fruit for dessert. And wine, which seems to act like an appetite suppressant for me.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
I’m most successful when I skip the carbs and make the big parts of my plate veggies with a side of protein and fruit for dessert. And wine, which seems to act like an appetite suppressant for me.

All of this for me, other than the wine part.   :d. It almost guarantees more snacking for me, unfortunately.

I love roasted/air fried vegetables mixed with a little bit of goat cheese.  It feels incredibly indulgent, is super easy to make and the goat cheese is excellent from a nutrition standpoint.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 09:48:18 AM »
Ooh I like the goat cheese idea.

Offline picote

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
Do you use less olive oil with air frying? That might push me to an air fryer. We eat a LOT of feasted veggies and I try to account for the oil in mfp, but given how often I refill our olive oil, I worry I underestimate.

FWIW, as much as I love it, cheese is my nemesis when trying to stick to 1200 cal. Pretty soon I’m adding a bit here and there and I end up over. I’ve been having spinach salad with just fruit, salt and red wine vinegar, as anything else pushes me over.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
I'm right there with you:  on the paleo wagon in time out right now b/c of my love of cheese and salty snacks, so clearly I can't be trusted.  Although once I do paleo for a bit I can get the cheese thing under control.

As for the air fryer, unequivocally yes.  I don't use as little oil as I thought I would (e.g., a teeny spray from a mister) but I use much less than with roasting. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »
Oatmeal has protein.  I have muesli most mornings with rolled oatmeal, chopped apple, dried fruit, a few nuts, some yogurt and fruit juice to plump it up.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »
Tuna packet. Small squirt of Mayo and relish. Salt.
Hard boiled egg
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
I always have a supply of hard boiled eggs in the fridge.  That is my go to breakfast (at about 10:30).

Soup is a staple in our house (in winter). I find it satisfying and helps with weight control.

I am not anti cheese as it helps me stay full, but I try to eat it earlier in the day and not with alcohol (as portion control becomes an issue then).
Typical lunch is a small corn tortilla with a bit of shredded cheese and some roasted chicken. By small, I mean the 6 inch ones.  The street tacos are tiny and then, I have two.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
Beans are supposed to make you feel full. Lots of fiber and protein. I make a vegetarian bean chili with walnuts and dried mushrooms that’s really filling.

Offline picote

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
I’m eating a ton of carrots as filler while I’m making dinner. I don’t know about the bang, but they’re low calorie and better than filling up on cheese.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 08:32:16 AM »
to be honest: foods that "make you feel full" don't seem to have that effect on me. It really depends on the quantity you eat.

Soups indeed make me feel "full", but that's quite different from feeling full from, say, mashed potatoes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »
I don't need to feel full. I need to feel not-hungry. For as long as possible.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »

That's an interesting distinction!

Experimenting with intermittent fasting has made me much more aware of what being hungry vs. not-hungry feels like. I feel like 95% of the time I eat because I'm bored, or because external signals tell me it's "time" to eat (someone else is eating, social cues, etc.).

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »

I don't like to feel full at all.  I think not hungry = satsified on B's original post.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
I’m not ANTI carb, but I find that they don’t keep me satisfied for as long, so if I’m trying to lose weight they aren’t my first go to. I do keep them in the mix, though.

I really want to like oatmeal, but unless it’s a cookie or in granola I struggle with it.

I don't know what you don't like about oatmeal, but I have found I much prefer Irish Oats over regular oats. I really don't like regular oatmeal (unless in cookie form.) I don't make mine sweet as that grosses me out. But I admit I haven't quite gone the savory route (plenty of recipes out there for savory oatmeal.) I tend to just put some almonds on top and mix in some ground flaxseed. Now, i won't say this is my favorite breakfast or anything, but it can definitely be filling.

+-SUPPORT US