Author Topic: Homemade yogurt  (Read 8176 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Homemade yogurt
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »
I finally got around to doing this in the instant pot and made the second batch yesterday, it was done this morning. 

The first time I used a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt i had in the fridge, using skim milk.  It worked, and was good but not great.

Yesterday I used a 1/2 cup of that yogurt and again used skim milk.  So much better for some reason!  I don't know why, but it tastes richer even with the skim milk.

I am so excited about this.  Low cost, no plastic containers, so easy to make. 

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Homemade yogurt
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »
strain it after for an even better yogurt.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
strain it after for an even better yogurt.
I actually really like this consistency.  It's thicker than store bought yogurt, but not as thick as greek. 

Dh got some whole milk for me to experiment with for the next batch.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Sue and I have been making yogurt in our instant pot for some time now.

We use whole milk and let the fermentation go for 9 and a half to 10 hours.  We find that there is so little whey that straining is unnecessary and the result is very smooth.

The starter was Stonyfield plain. It's yummy
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
Sue and I have been making yogurt in our instant pot for some time now.

We use whole milk and let the fermentation go for 9 and a half to 10 hours.  We find that there is so little whey that straining is unnecessary and the result is very smooth.

The starter was Stonyfield plain. It's yummy
I've just let it ferment overnight - so today's batch was probably 14 hours or so by the time I took it out.  There was nothing to pour off!  Maybe that's why the taste is better.

The IP recipe I'm using calls for 1 tbsp of sugar.  Do you guys put the sugar in?  I assume it's necessary for the cultures to feed on, but maybe not?

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
I have never put sugar in mine during the fermentation process, there is plenty of sugar in the milk itself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »
Oh good to know, I'm going to try it without next time.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »
Nothing but milk and starter.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
Milk is full of milk sugar (lactose).  There's no need to add extra sugar to the mix. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
No sugar here
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
 :heartbeat: the IP for making yogurt! 

I make a batch every 2 weeks.  My local market carries milk from a dairy out in the Berkshires (far west of Massholia); the cows are all Jerseys.  Jersey milk has a bit more protein per volume than Holsteins (the classic black and white dairy cow) and a higher proportion of the A2 form of beta-casein. 

I use a quart (<= I'm volume impaired ;) ) half gallon of 1% and add 100 g dry milk powder (Bob's Red Mill) to further boost protein and to thicken the yogurt.  Brown Cow Plain yogurt is my starter although I've had decent results with Stonyfield and Siggi.  Twelve to 14 hours fermentation. The end result is pretty thick.  I set aside 1/2 of the batch to eat as standard yogurt (it's very creamy), and the other half is...well, strained is an understatement. 

I line a mesh strainer with unbleached coffee filters, set it over a stainless steel bowl, put the other half of the yogurt in the lined strainer, place another filter on top of the yogurt, then let it sit for a couple of hours.  Then I place a small plate (saucer) on top of the yogurt and weigh it down with another bowl filled with water to press out even more whey.  That sits for another 4 to 6 hours, all at room temp (the lactobacilli and the acidic properties of the yogurt overwhelm any pathogens).  The end result is almost as thick as cream cheese (I usually add salt to it), can be used as a spread on English muffins, bagels, bread, etc., but with a much lower calorie content compared with cream cheese.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:27:01 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 10:23:51 PM »
Oh, interesting.  I never tried the squeezing step, just relied on gravity.  But that makes sense if you've ever made cheese.  I'll try it on the next batch for some ultra-thick yogurt.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 11:13:26 PM »
Cheese is definitely on my list

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 07:12:32 AM »
we bought a yogurt maker recently after taking a good look at what exactly we are putting in our container recycling (probably 30% of the content was plain yogurt tubs)... and I am loving the homemade yogurt

also, I've used it to make actual fermented sour cream (I cannot buy naturally soured cream here, only artificially soured) and I am super pleased about that

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Oh, interesting.  I never tried the squeezing step, just relied on gravity.  But that makes sense if you've ever made cheese.  I'll try it on the next batch for some ultra-thick yogurt.

Yep, gravity works well, and in the distant past, I'd put yogurt in cheesecloth and suspend it to make "yo-cheese."  However,  my makeshift press results in a much thicker result.   I've mixed in minced scallions and chives or flaked smoked salmon to zhush it up a bit.

Do try it!

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
I use skim and add powdered milk, and I don't strain.  I also use the blender after having added powdered milk. The whey is nutrient dense, so I want to keep it.

You can use vanilla-flavored or plain yogurt as a starter.  I never add sugar.

I used to put it in the ice cream maker for a dessert, and added mango syrup.  Haven't done that in a while. The mango syrup was in the Hispanic section of the supermarket.

DB, that farm is in my town.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
I use skim and add powdered milk, and I don't strain.  I also use the blender after having added powdered milk. The whey is nutrient dense, so I want to keep it.

You can use vanilla-flavored or plain yogurt as a starter.  I never add sugar.

I used to put it in the ice cream maker for a dessert, and added mango syrup.  Haven't done that in a while. The mango syrup was in the Hispanic section of the supermarket.

DB, that farm is in my town.

High Lawn, right?  I may be imagining things, but I do find that milk makes a better yogurt than Garelick or Hood.

I also use an immersion blender to mix in the powdered milk.  I always feel bad/guilty dumping out the whey from the 1/2 batch that is strained.  I know there are good uses for it!

#notallprogressives

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »
High Lawn, right?  I may be imagining things, but I do find that milk makes a better yogurt than Garelick or Hood.

I also use an immersion blender to mix in the powdered milk.  I always feel bad/guilty dumping out the whey from the 1/2 batch that is strained.  I know there are good uses for it!

I cook basmati rice in yogurt whey if I have it around. Also, I use it in place of buttermilk for baking and marinating sometimes.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
I cook basmati rice in yogurt whey if I have it around. Also, I use it in place of buttermilk for baking and marinating sometimes.

:!:

#notallprogressives

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
I have time off right now, I'm going to experiment with the straining and pressing.

Cgrl,  the recycling is a huge motivator for me.  Plus it's nice knowing the ingredients are... milk and only milk.

I recently rediscovered the bulk barn and am making a really good run at substantially reducing plastic.

+-SUPPORT US