Author Topic: Budget Zoom Lens Upgrade  (Read 8553 times)

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
Budget Zoom Lens Upgrade
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
I have a Canon Rebel T3 body.  I'm currently using a 75-300 zoom (first generation without IS or USM).  I am frustrated at the poor quality of shots and the number of shots I miss because of the slow focusing.  I was initially thinking about upgrading to a Canon 70-300 but then I read about Tamron's SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD.  The reviews sound pretty good.  I mean I'd love to go with something better, but I think I could swing this and it sounds like a significant upgrade from what I'm using.

Anyone have experience with this lens?  Are there others I should consider? 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
Re: Budget Zoom Lens Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Does dropping back and going 18-300 blow the budget?

I had a couple of the cheaper nikkor 70-300's that were OK. 

I've had great luck with third party lenses.  I bought a sigma 18-250 for a trip where i wanted to basically travel with one lens.  I ended up with an incredible copy of the lens and I got some great shots with it. 

Still, I don't use much of the longer end of that lens and it's the real weak spot in my lens line-up.  Every time I buy a 70-300, I sell it with in a year.  OTH, I have a few zooms under 20mm and am currently thinking about buying a sigma 8-16mm.  I mostly shoot wide angle.   

I do like trying to get a fun moon shot every now and then and the 300's on a crop frame can do pretty well with that.   
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
I've thought about going with a travel style lens, but I do a lot of sports shots of my kids and I do some wildlife as well so I'm shooting in that 200-300 range a lot and would hate to lose that extra reach.  For me the only compensation would be if I was able to get a much faster lens - like an f2.8 through the range.  My long range thoughts are to upgrade the 18-55 lens as well or maybe to buy a Canon 24mm pancake lens for fast general shooting using the manual zoom technique.  I also have a nifty fifty in my bag which is great for portraits on my crop sensor, but not much else. 

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
You can actually get more range with the 18-300's...  http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-300mm-F3-5-6-3-Macro-Cameras/dp/B00NJ9K52W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455977265&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+18-300mm+cannon

But, they are probably several hundred more. 

Well, my 18-55 appears to be crapping out so I test drove (so to speak) the sigma 18-250 today.  It gets pretty good reviews, feels so much nicer than my 75-300 too.  I'm going to download the shots I took today and take a look at it.  I'm also thinking about buying the Canon 24mm f2.8 pancake lens to replace my 18-55 as local camera guy says its not worth getting the 18-55 repaired, $ are scarce at the moment and the 24mm pancake is highly regarded (and really cheap!).  Any thoughts on that idea?  I test drove the 24mm pancake today as well. 

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:30:17 AM »
Well, my 18-55 appears to be crapping out so I test drove (so to speak) the sigma 18-250 today.  It gets pretty good reviews, feels so much nicer than my 75-300 too.  I'm going to download the shots I took today and take a look at it.  I'm also thinking about buying the Canon 24mm f2.8 pancake lens to replace my 18-55 as local camera guy says its not worth getting the 18-55 repaired, $ are scarce at the moment and the 24mm pancake is highly regarded (and really cheap!).  Any thoughts on that idea?  I test drove the 24mm pancake today as well. 

If you get a good copy of the Sigma 18-250, you'll be very pleased.  Cheap right now, too. 

I think the whole prime thing is really about what you like to shoot.  You can't go wrong with the 24, 35, or 50.  They are typically incredibly sharp. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
If you get a good copy of the Sigma 18-250, you'll be very pleased.  Cheap right now, too. 

I think the whole prime thing is really about what you like to shoot.  You can't go wrong with the 24, 35, or 50.  They are typically incredibly sharp. 

Ya, I have the 50, but its of pretty limited use to exterior portraits, etc.  The 24 f 2.8 would allow me to use it indoors and more generally around outside where the extra speed would come in handy.  I do like my superzooms.

I downloaded the images from both lenses yesterday and they all looked pretty good, although I did have problems focusing the 18-250. Although that may have been because I was shooting wet subjects during a rainstorm.  I also was unable to test it on moving subjects.  Interestingly I did download the soccer photos I took this weekend in good light conditions with my 75-300 and was very disappointed in the number of out of focus shots and blown out images I got. 

I wish I had another $500 kicking around. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Well I drank the superzoom coolaid last weekend and picked up the Sigma 18-250.  I tested it out on Tuesday night at DD2's soccer try outs.  Haven't uploaded yet, but based on a quick LCD review the photos look sharper and the colours look better.  Now I need to save up for a big ass circular polarizer. 

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I just sold (yesterday) my Sigma 18-250.  I just wasn't using it enough to justify it taking up room in my camera bag anymore.  I'm pretty sure all the pictures I posted in the "Post a picture" thread were with that lens.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:41:55 PM by Sir Real »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
I just sold (yesterday) my Sigma 18-250.  I just wasn't using it enough to justify it taking up room in my camera bag anymore.  I'm pretty sure all the pictures I posted in the "Post a picture" thread were with that lens.

I thought I recalled someone mentioning using that focal range in their photography.  Mine is going to live on my camera for the most part I think.  I'm going to sell the 75-300 and I may pick up the 24mm f2.8 later because its so darn cheap for a fast sharp prime lens.  Those two and the 50mm will round out my lens collection.   

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »
it's a great travel lens.  If I thought I'd get as good a copy of the 18-300 as I have the 18-250, I'd buy one.   

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
Well I drank the superzoom coolaid last weekend and picked up the Sigma 18-250.  I tested it out on Tuesday night at DD2's soccer try outs.  Haven't uploaded yet, but based on a quick LCD review the photos look sharper and the colours look better.  Now I need to save up for a big ass circular polarizer. 
if that needs a 62mm filter,  like the Nikon one I just sold,  I have a Hoya CPL you're welcome to. It's not a top of the line filter but it worked very well. I have no other 62mm lenses so I have no use for it. It's yours if you want it, no charge.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
if that needs a 62mm filter,  like the Nikon one I just sold,  I have a Hoya CPL you're welcome to. It's not a top of the line filter but it worked very well. I have no other 62mm lenses so I have no use for it. It's yours if you want it, no charge.

Ya, it does.  That would be cool.  I (think) I sent you a PM with my address. 

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
Well done, Sir!

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
it's a great travel lens.  If I thought I'd get as good a copy of the 18-300 as I have the 18-250, I'd buy one.   

There I go thinking again... I just bought the Tamron 16-300.

I'll most likely hold on to the 18-250, though... so inexpensive for something so sharp.  If the Tamron is even close, I'll be happy. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
There I go thinking again... I just bought the Tamron 16-300.

I'll most likely hold on to the 18-250, though... so inexpensive for something so sharp.  If the Tamron is even close, I'll be happy. 

That is a great range.  I hope you're happy with it.  I wanted something as sharp as possible within my budget and the Sigma seemed to be the one so I compromised on focal range.  I haven't had much opportunity to use it since I bought it.  :( 

+-SUPPORT US