Author Topic: Casserole Thread  (Read 2721 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Casserole Thread
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
I'll share my Syrian Artichoke and Cheese Casserole (Carchof Jiben) recipe from "Olive Trees and Honey" but in exchange I'd love some other casseroles to try.  This is one of my "go to" favorites for Passover.

Syrian Artichoke and Cheese Casserole
(paraphrased)
6 to 8 servings

20 oz thawed frozen artichoke hearts, sliced (or 8 large globe artichokes, hearts extracted)
3 tbls olive oil or unsalted butter (the oil makes it pareve but if it doesn't matter, this is really, really good with the butter)
1 lg onion finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
3 cups (12 oz) shredded Muenster or other mild firm white cheese (I love Gouda for this)
6 large eggs
1 tsp salt or 2 tsp kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
3 tbls chopped fresh parsley to garnish

Preheat the oven to 350
Grease an 8-cup casserole dish.
In a large, heavy saucepan heat the oil or butter on medium.  Add the onion (and garlic if using) and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the artichokes and saute for 5 more minutes.
Stir together the cheese, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Stir in the artichokes and onions.
Spoon the mix into the casserole dish.  Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool and allow juices to distribute for about 5 minutes before cutting.  Sprinkle parsley on before serving.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Casserole Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »
I'm going to try this one for sure when cheese is legal again.  I bet some coarsely chopped oil-cured olives would be a nice additional ingredient.  Stupid WLC  :'(

+-SUPPORT US