Author Topic: When the shoes you love are discontinued  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
When the shoes you love are discontinued
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
How many pairs do you buy to stock up?
I love the Brooks Glycerin 11.  My current pair has about 3 months left and I have another pair in the closet.
Sierra Trading Post has them at a nice discount, but I'm not sure if I should go as far as storing two pairs in advance.
I am not a high mileage runner.  A pair lasts me over 6 months.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: When the shoes you love are discontinued
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »
I'd buy at least another pair.  Depends on how hard you are to fit.  I'm erratic enough that sometimes I'll get a year out of my shoes.  But I can't always even FIND good replacement shoes. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

siamesedream

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
My first pair of running shoes were blue and gray Nike Air Pegasus. I really loved them, I think they still make them, but I switched to NB many years ago.

Sorry, I did not answer your question.

I see nothing wrong with stocking up if you're going to get a discount on them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:54:16 AM by siamesedream »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:50:38 AM »
I would get them, since you currently have 9 months' worth of shoes. (I would even buy 2 pairs if I badly wanted them.)

But I do not understand the reasoning, because you are just delaying a switch to another shoe by 6 months. It does not seem significant to me.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
I would get them, since you currently have 9 months' worth of shoes. (I would even buy 2 pairs if I badly wanted them.)

But I do not understand the reasoning, because you are just delaying a switch to another shoe by 6 months. It does not seem significant to me.

Well, yes and no.  Shoe models are always changing, so if there's not stuff out you like right now, getting more of discontinued stuff you like makes good sense.  Seriously, last time I looked at running shoes, NONE of the newer models fit right, so I bought 2 pair of the model that was being discontinued.  I need to start looking again, given that I'm down to one decent pair.  My other pair aren't even really suitable for hashing anymore.  They are worn smooth and >this< close to having a hole in the bottom.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »
Usually, when a particular model is discontinued, they are usually available at a discount somewhere.  Recently, I bought two pair of racing flats for $41 each on Amazon.com.  The shoes list for $125.  I probably won't wear the second pair for a couple of years, but the price was really good and I love the shoes.

I've been buying my training flats on eBay, usually at a 60% discount from list.  So, at that price, I have a few extra in the closet.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
Whatever Caito says.

:d

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

The reasoning is that, 1) I know I love them and 2) they are cheap.
So when I run through these I'll go back to my local running store to get fitted again and will likely pay full price for a new model.  So with another pair I'll be good until winter or spring of 2016.
STP is funny with their discounts, though.  There's always some sort of special, but sometimes it's 20 or 25% and other times it's as high as 45%.
I'm gambling for a few more days that the price will be even cheaper. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
The reasoning is that, 1) I know I love them and 2) they are cheap.
So when I run through these I'll go back to my local running store to get fitted again and will likely pay full price for a new model.  So with another pair I'll be good until winter or spring of 2016.
STP is funny with their discounts, though.  There's always some sort of special, but sometimes it's 20 or 25% and other times it's as high as 45%.
I'm gambling for a few more days that the price will be even cheaper. 

Yes, waiting is what I do with STP, too. Do you sign up for their emails?  They have special discount codes every single day in my inbox.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 08:00:10 AM »
I got another pair for $71.47 with $.99 shipping (on orders>$75, so I added another small item).  Best deal I could find out there. :)

+-SUPPORT US