Author Topic: 400 meter sprints: Any value when not peaking for a race?  (Read 6233 times)

siamesedream

400 meter sprints: Any value when not peaking for a race?
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
Is there any benefit in doing 4 to 6 x 400 meters with a long recovery when you're not in the final stages of prep for a race?

Do you think doing them might benefit your easy run training?

Just wondering if I should throw some of these into my training every 2 weeks or so, thanks in advance for your feedback.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: 400 meter sprints: Any value when not peaking for a race?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
Is there a chance your high school nemesis gonna challenge you to a race at anytime?

Otherwise as long as your body can handle the stress of speed work, and your not exhibiting any signs of overtraining, it's nice to shake it out and keep the leg speed up.  If you're prone to injury, you really have to make sure your give your body a break once in a while.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

siamesedream

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
I'm quite injury resistant, never had a real injury in 22 years of running.

:obh:

I probably just jinxed myself.

I have to add: I did break my ankle, but that had nothing to do with running...and everything to do with being drunk.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:20:13 PM by siamesedream »

Offline Mrs Slocombe

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
Is there any benefit in doing 4 to 6 x 400 meters with a long recovery when you're not in the final stages of prep for a race?

Do you think doing them might benefit your easy run training?

Just wondering if I should throw some of these into my training every 2 weeks or so, thanks in advance for your feedback.

There's always value in doing faster work throughout your training season to retain some of the speed you have attained during your racing season.
What distance do you race and how far off is that race

Are you running your 400m's at 400m pace? ("6/8x400"@400m pace is pretty tough)
If so, long recs are fair enough

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
There's always value in doing faster work throughout your training season to retain some of the speed you have attained during your racing season.
What distance do you race and how far off is that race

Are you running your 400m's at 400m pace? ("6/8x400"@400m pace is pretty tough)
If so, long recs are fair enough

I'm talking about doing them at sprint pace, faster than vo2 max pace.

They are not that hard if the rest period is adequate: 1:1, or 2:1...with the 2 representing the amount of rest..as you stated.

I don't have any trouble running them, but is there value?

I think so, but I like to bounce this stuff off of you people...I value your opinion. ;)

Offline Mrs Slocombe

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

Quote "I don't have any trouble running them, but is there value?"

Yes, of course there is value, but is running 400m's @ sub Vo2 max appropriate to the race you are training for. The session you describe is something I would think more appropriate for a 400/1500m runner  -  - you didn't say what distance you are training for.
I'm guessing here, that you would be running a 5 or 10km.
If so running 400m's @ sub Vo2 will help your speed but will do little for your speed endurance over these distances.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »
I'm quite injury resistant, never had a real injury in 22 years of running.

I can say more or less the same thing. Speedwork never gave me any injury, either.
Yes, I think there is benefit, it will break up the monotony of regular workouts and you will see an overall gain in pace on training runs. If it's going to motivate you to run, why not?

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:58 AM »
I can say more or less the same thing. Speedwork never gave me any injury, either.
Yes, I think there is benefit, it will break up the monotony of regular workouts and you will see an overall gain in pace on training runs. If it's going to motivate you to run, why not?

I agree. My thinking was: I do a lot of 100 meter sprints...and they seem to make my stride more efficient, so maybe every 10 days or so I should do a mile's worth of 400 sprints. Since they are longer they might be a little more specific to longer run efficiency.

I had a day last week when I was very fatigued and did not want to run my regular workout, I did one all out 400 meter sprint...and my legs have felt great ever since.

Keep in mind: these are not 400 meter intervals for vo2 training, these are sprints with a long recovery.

Now I'm getting redundant, sorry.

siamesedream

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:17 AM »
I had a thought about running a 1/2 marathon in Fort lodi dodi, but I chickened out.

I know this has nothing to do with the topic.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
There is a big difference between sub V02 and sprint, but as Mrs Slocomb alludes, maybe mile/1500 pace would be appropriate. Running at this effort is good for improving running economy, and the workout is also a confidence booster. 

Once in awhile is probably okay in early phases of a training cycle, if not good for you. These are often feel good workouts. The catch with the long recovery is that you might feel too good too soon and peak early. But once a month or two, probably won't have a negative effect on your goal. I prefer a more progressive approach with increasing specificity and intensity as you approach your goal events but can see the value of adding some faster work along the way.

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
Randomly, I run quarters with a full recovery  to keep some speed in my legs.  But, more importantly, I like doing them.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

The session you describe is something I would think more appropriate for a 400/1500m runner  -  - you didn't say what distance you are training for.
I'm guessing here, that you would be running a 5 or 10km.
If so running 400m's @ sub Vo2 will help your speed but will do little for your speed endurance over these distances.

Exactly.  I do 150/200/300 sprints for my workouts @85-90% max effort.  But I am training for the National Masters T&F CHampionships in the 60 and 200 (and 4 x 400m at the Millrose Games).  If you arent training for a 400/1500m race, you should do a different workout.  400's are great, but if you are training for a 5k or 10k or other slow-twitch distance, 8 x 400 @ 1 mile pace would be better for you.  Add a 400 each week until you are up to 12 x 400m (with 400 slow jog recovery in between each one).
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

siamesedream

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses, CH runners!

+-SUPPORT US