Author Topic: How easy is your easy?  (Read 7120 times)

siamesedream

How easy is your easy?
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
Describe to me what your easy run pace feels like, please.

In terms of breathing, leg sensations, perceived effort....etc.

This would give me some subjective(anecdotal) info, besides just the numbers oriented/run pace calculator stuff that I usually rely on.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

siamesedream

Re: How easy is your easy?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:10:27 PM »
Easy is less than Tempo, which is less than Racing; as far as my log goes

But I never REALLY run "easy" since I'm always challenging my last run

"Easy" now [my usual daily jog around the development pace] is about or quicker than my Race pace 2 or 3 years ago

At my age, that's fucked up; but I must be doing something right?

Did you loose some weight?

Offline Mrs Slocombe

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
Easy runs are just that EASY.
 Because its a individual thing the best way I can put it is, say, around 65% effort or at a pace you can comfortably carry out a conversation.

I don't race any more; I run naked and only every now and then wear a watch so I very much run by feel.

siamesedream

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Easy runs are just that EASY.
 Because its a individual thing the best way I can put it is, say, around 65% effort or at a pace you can comfortably carry out a conversation.

I don't race any more; I run naked and only every now and then wear a watch so I very much run by feel.

You run naked?

You mean you don't wear a watch, right?

Offline Mrs Slocombe

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:08:06 AM »
Naked not Nude.
By that I mean I've ditched the distractions.
No heart rate monitor, no GPS, no music or head phones - just a watch and that's not on every run.

siamesedream

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:25:06 AM »
Naked not Nude.
By that I mean I've ditched the distractions.
No heart rate monitor, no GPS, no music or head phones - just a watch and that's not on every run.

Oh. Thanks for the feedback, Mrs Slocombe.  :)

I never run with gadgets, no music either. I have occasionally run without a watch, and I do find this helps me from running too fast. I never experience labored breathing on my timed easy runs, but there is a definite spectrum of intensity within the easy run pace range, for me.

The upper end is probably at something like 75% effort.

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
Easy runs are just that.............easy.  In my case, "easy" pace can be anywhere between 8:15-10:30.  The pace feels smooth and easy, like you could go for a good long while, and like you could carry on a conversation.  The breathing feels easy. The body feels smooth.  Easy pace should vary for most people.  Easy pace the day after a hard race is usually slower than easy pace after a few other easy days or days off.

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
Easy runs are just that.............easy.  In my case, "easy" pace can be anywhere between 8:15-10:30.  The pace feels smooth and easy, like you could go for a good long while, and like you could carry on a conversation.  The breathing feels easy. The body feels smooth.  Easy pace should vary for most people.  Easy pace the day after a hard race is usually slower than easy pace after a few other easy days or days off.

Thanks.  Good info. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 02:37:00 AM »
Every run is easy for me.  I just go by feel and have a goal distance for every run, but I am willing to modify, either distance or intensity.  I may walk some if it is not going well or I may be running a bit faster if I feel great.  Meer run with music, but always with gps, so I have a good idea of my effort. If I know I am tired, I drive to a flat course and avoid the hills around my house.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »
Depends on the day and your objective.

Warm up, cool down, recovery day, getting miles, and long runs all incorporate easy effort. If you are breathing hard or straining then you are not running easy. Generally easy running is at about 60% - to maybe 75%- of max heart rate, or 110 to 130 beats per minute. A suggested range is about 1.5 to 30 minutes slower than 5K effort, or maybe 1 or 2 minutes slower/mile than marathon pace. My easy pace on flat terrain varies from 7:40 to 8:30 or 9 min per mile, but go to pace is right about 8:00, give or take 10 sec. 

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Very relaxed. A "jog". 10:30 - 11:00 mile pace. These are typically 3-5 mile recovery jog sorts of runs or if I am feeling under the weather but still want to knock out 6-8.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »
When your fitness increases, your average easy pace will most likely get faster as well.  That said, in general you shouldn't be obsessed with what your easy pace is.  You shouldn't be trying to "beat" last week's easy paced 6-miler.  You shouldn't be embarrassed to "only" be running 10:00 min/miles or 11:00 min/miles or whatever.  I only worry about pace during workouts and races (and parts of some long runs). 

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
Easy runs are just that.............easy.  In my case, "easy" pace can be anywhere between 8:15-10:30.  The pace feels smooth and easy, like you could go for a good long while, and like you could carry on a conversation. The breathing feels easy. The body feels smooth.  Easy pace should vary for most people.  Easy pace the day after a hard race is usually slower than easy pace after a few other easy days or days off.

This is the measure I use.  As long as I can carry on a conversation, that is easy.  The actual pace doesn't matter, because as you said, it varies depending on what came before it (rest, hard runs, etc).  Also, if I'm running alone, I test it by singing along to my ipod.  Easy enough to do without embarrassing myself because I live in the middle of a forest. :D

siamesedream

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »
Depends on the day and your objective.

Warm up, cool down, recovery day, getting miles, and long runs all incorporate easy effort. If you are breathing hard or straining then you are not running easy. Generally easy running is at about 60% - to maybe 75%- of max heart rate, or 110 to 130 beats per minute. A suggested range is about 1.5 to 30 minutes slower than 5K effort, or maybe than mara1 or 2 minutes slower/mile thon pace. My easy pace on flat terrain varies from 7:40 to 8:30 or 9 min per mile, but go to pace is right about 8:00, give or take 10 sec.

I like the idea of 1 to 2 slower than marathon. I could just use that and go off my Mcmillan times.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
Everything is hard right now.  But when I was in somewhat better shape, I'd occasionally run easy enough to try to sing a little.

(Right now, a single 14 minute mile is OMG can I stop yet!?  I can converse a little during the first half mile, but not much.)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US