Author Topic: New York marathon attire  (Read 12467 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
New York marathon attire
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
So all through training I have been planning on a tank and arm sleeves.. My tank has a giant pocket in the back for my gu and it's what I've been wearing... Now the forecast is for like in the 30's early in the day and then up to 49 and sunny and also windy... I start at 10:05... I'm wondering if I'll still be good to go with the tank and arms sleeves... Apparently we need to have out bib showing at all times but I suppose I can still start with a throwaway shirt and my number on my tank under.... I just don't want to have a long sleeve that I put my number on and the end up taking off... I don't want to be too cold and expend extra energy trying to stay warm either... Ugh 49 is such an in between temp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: New York marathon attire
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
I would wear a race number belt, so you can wear throw away tops and have your number showing.  Yeah, gonna be too cool for just a tank.  Long sleeved top would be my choice for those temps and wind.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I would wear a race number belt, so you can wear throw away tops and have your number showing.  Yeah, gonna be too cool for just a tank.  Long sleeved top would be my choice for those temps and wind.

1, I wore a race belt for the first time in my last marathon and thought it was great.  It also had some loops to put gels in.  Lightweight and efficient.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »
I would wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt. I've also taken to wearing soccer shorts for longer distances. Very comfortable and pockets deep enough to cram GU and the like into without having to safety pin them to my waistband.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
1, I wore a race belt for the first time in my last marathon and thought it was great.  It also had some loops to put gels in.  Lightweight and efficient.

I just ordered this from Amazon last night.. just nervous about using it for the first time in the race..
I would wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt. I've also taken to wearing soccer shorts for longer distances. Very comfortable and pockets deep enough to cram GU and the like into without having to safety pin them to my waistband.

I have a bog pocket in the back of my shorts that I can stuff some gu in

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
I would definitely go with the tank top and a throwaway long sleeve shirt.  That sun will come out and 49 degrees will feel like 59 degrees and you'll be sweltering by mile 10.  At least I would be.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
The thing with the number belts is that in order for them not to be super annoying, they kind of have to be tight, but you can put it down your hips a little and it shouldn't crawl up. That way it's not pressing on your tummy.

The other option is to put the number on your thigh. I do that a lot. I tend not to mind putting pins in my shorts vs shirts.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
The thing with the number belts is that in order for them not to be super annoying, they kind of have to be tight, but you can put it down your hips a little and it shouldn't crawl up. That way it's not pressing on your tummy.

The other option is to put the number on your thigh. I do that a lot. I tend not to mind putting pins in my shorts vs shirts.

Oh good idea.. I never thought about that but my shorts are kind of longer, bike type style so that would work and I wouldn't have to worry about visibility.  I'll ask at the expo if that is ok. They are really super strict it seems about the number needing to be visible at all times and they are also taking video through out the course..

I'm leaning toward tank and arm warmers with a light throw away shirt.. if that's the case I would probably put my number on my shorts if that works...

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
Race number belts don't have to be tight if all you have is a bib on it.  If your loaded with gels, phone, keys, yeah it gets heavy.  Mine goes right at belt height as long as the bib isn't too long to brush against my thighs.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
Hmm I think I'd rather pin to my shorts

Offline No Disrespect Whatsoever

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »
So all through training I have been planning on a tank and arm sleeves.. My tank has a giant pocket in the back for my gu and it's what I've been wearing... Now the forecast is for like in the 30's early in the day and then up to 49 and sunny and also windy... I start at 10:05... I'm wondering if I'll still be good to go with the tank and arms sleeves... Apparently we need to have out bib showing at all times but I suppose I can still start with a throwaway shirt and my number on my tank under.... I just don't want to have a long sleeve that I put my number on and the end up taking off... I don't want to be too cold and expend extra energy trying to stay warm either... Ugh 49 is such an in between temp

I would suggest dressing for the expected conditions rather than sticking to an idea your settled on months ago. In my experience this usually makes more sense. Now, if you're concerned that if you pin the number on a long-sleeve T-shirt you plan to toss after the start, you might throw your number away along with the shirt, I would advise the following scheme:

BOTTOM-MOST LAYER: Jogbra and arm sleeves
SECOND LAYER: Singlet, with race bib attached
UPPER-MOST LAYER: Long-sleeve T-shirt (disposable)

You should also consider wearing a cheap hat and cheap gloves you can also get rid of on the go.

Believe it or not I have seen this scheme put in play HUNDREDS of times and it works very well. Good luck.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
I always race with my number pinned to my shorts.  I usually decide which top, if any,  I am going to wear, sometimes less than 5 minutes before the start of the race.  With the number already pinned on my shorts, I don't have to worry about it. 

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »
Hmm I think I'd rather pin to my shorts

Whaaat....you don't like my bib loincloth?

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »

I would suggest dressing for the expected conditions rather than sticking to an idea your settled on months ago. In my experience this usually makes more sense. Now, if you're concerned that if you pin the number on a long-sleeve T-shirt you plan to toss after the start, you might throw your number away along with the shirt, I would advise the following scheme:

BOTTOM-MOST LAYER: Jogbra and arm sleeves
SECOND LAYER: Singlet, with race bib attached
UPPER-MOST LAYER: Long-sleeve T-shirt (disposable)

You should also consider wearing a cheap hat and cheap gloves you can also get rid of on the go.

Believe it or not I have seen this scheme put in play HUNDREDS of times and it works very well. Good luck.

Yes that was sort of going to be my  plan but they have this stupid rule bib needs to be showing at all times

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
I always pin on my thigh.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
I always pin on my thigh.

I know you're all acupuncture n stuff, but that shit is gonna hurt after about mile 10.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
I would NEVER think of wearing a tank top under those conditions.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
Whaaat....you don't like my bib loincloth?

Ha! That is always what I feel like when I wear my number on a race belt. I have one that I use for triathlons, because there it's a matter of adding the belt during a transition and that's the easiest way. But when running I've also worn it when layering is a possible issue. I find that with just a number on it, you don't have to wear it too tightly and it's better to wear it high enough so the number doesn't graze your thighs with your stride forward. I tend not to wear it when running because the Spibelt I wear for phone, chews, etc., is most comfortable to me when worn really low. (My friends joke that I am stashing stuff in my ladyparts, and they call it my vag pouch, LOL.)

But it sounds like leaning toward pinning to shorts would be good for you - that works! Trust what you feel comfortable with, if you don't want to introduce a new item, even a race belt.

I've also heard of people using a throwaway shirt that's cut-out to reveal the bib, so you can still layer it over the tank top.

I think in that weather, I'd be thinking arm sleeves in case the sun feels warm (I run hot) but a short sleeve tee instead of tank. That little extra bit of coverage does me good in chilly winds.

Good luck! Whatever you wear, you'll rock it.
This space for rent.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »

I've also heard of people using a throwaway shirt that's cut-out to reveal the bib, so you can still layer it over the tank top.

Oooooh good idea!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »

Oooooh good idea!

Ah great idea!! I think maybe I'll go with a short sleeve over my tank since my tank has a built in sports bra and then arm sleeves..

But cutting the outside layer is brilliant!

+-SUPPORT US