Author Topic: Headlight or running lamp recommendation  (Read 26891 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
I've been running outside pre-dawn and am pretty sure I need a light of some kind.  I already wear a blinky Nathan vest but some areas where I run it's hard to see the road.  This morning I ended up in a little section of trail that was pretty damn dark and I had to tiptoe/step/feel my way through it until I could see a little.

So what's out there?  I guess we just assume I'm going to look like an even bigger dork, but I'm OK with that.

Thanks!

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Petzl makes great running headlamps.  Around $30?   The light is good and you can adjust the angle.  Surprisingly not bouncy.   They are super nerdy, but in the best possible way!  I am secretly excited to need my headlamp for early runs this time of year.  :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:45:10 PM by Eco Ellen »

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Oh yeah, and they come in pretty colors now!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
I have a Petzl headlamp, but I don't use it much.  It would be great for night riding where you are going fast enough that you need quick visual feedback.  But I don't ride at night.  I run or walk and there's enough ambient light where I live that you can get away with a flashlight to illuminate the occasional dark patch.  I use the M20SX-L2 Warrior Olight,.  I'm sure you can get by with something much cheaper, but one of the nice things about the olight is that it's sturdy enough to provide some significant self defense advantages.  That bezel isn't serrated for purely decorative purposes. 

Ellen, that's a pretty bigass image.  Might be better like this.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:18:08 AM »
Thanks radial bi would never carry a big flashlight while running though!  I hate carrying anything. Sorry for the UBB fail.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
Iuse an ll bean one.. I don't think it's geared for running though... One thing I find is I have to wear a hat because it hurts my head... I want to look for some kind of clip on one...

One unexpected plus of running head lamps is.. when you lose your power, they are great for doing things around the house hands free!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  UF, let me know how you like it?  I don't need to buy anything this very second, but in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
Actually I have probably $200 in points and credit at LL Bean right now.  Will check them out, MoS.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
This one is more expensive - $95 - but it has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and I could get it for no cash out of pocket.  It has "reactive lighting" which I gather means it will change power output depending on ambient light.  Thoughts?:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80247?feat=506866-GN2&page=petzl-tikka-rxp-headlamp&attrValue_0=Black

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
I have a cheap Petzl.  It has three levels of brightness.  I have used it for running as well as camping.  Buy the cheap one, then deposit the $70 savings into a college savings account.   :)
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
Iuse an ll bean one.. I don't think it's geared for running though... One thing I find is I have to wear a hat because it hurts my head... I want to look for some kind of clip on one...

One unexpected plus of running head lamps is.. when you lose your power, they are great for doing things around the house hands free!

Mine is uncomfortable to wear for any significant period.  But you're right about using it around the house.  It comes in handy when you need both hands free in dimly lit places.  I used mine recently when I installed a TV antenna in the attic.  It was worth the headache :)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
I have a $20 Petzl one and I wear it with a hat. It hurts after a while, so thankfully I've never really worn it for long periods of time. Mine is pink from REI.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
I have a cheap Petzl.  It has three levels of brightness.  I have used it for running as well as camping.  Buy the cheap one, then deposit the $70 savings into a college savings account.   :)

I can't deposit LL Bean points in a college savings account, unfortunately.

I can buy boot socks, though.

/win

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Jeez, do they all hurt?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
I have a black diamond. I wear it with a hat.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
I don't wear one for morning runs, now.
There are enough streetlights so I can see ok, and I wear enough reflective gear that hopefully I can be seen.

When we lived in the sticks where there weren't streetlights on our road, about 10 years ago, I tried a petzl headlamp but didn't like theweight on my noggin. I'm guesing they're lighter now. I ended up carrying a big maglite flashlight instead.
Luckily there was never much traffic, usually only the newspaper delivery person.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
If you are on trails, i highly suggest a headlamp + a small hand held LED flashlight. I have Petzl headlamps, but DH has a Remington one that has a battery pack and it is easily 10000000 x's brighter than my Petzl.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
I was only on a trail by accident. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

1.  I do use mine to pick tomatoes in the dark.  And sometimes to do stuff in the garage when it is too cold to open the door for more light (just not enough light in there).  But yeah, it gives me a headache.  My neighborhood does not have all the sidewalks and streetlamps yet, so I wear it around my neck to go for a walk.  I'd rather have something on a belt than on my head for running.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US