Author Topic: What foods do you avoid like the plague?  (Read 54414 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: What foods do you avoid like the plague?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
I do not like chocolate and mint for this reason...in teh 1980s Bubble Yum came out with a chocolate mint bubble gum.  Being a kid and loving all things chocolate and mint (I loved York Peppermint patties at the time) I tried it. I chewed it maybe two or three times and the taste was so gross I literally threw up.  I seriously have not been able to eat chocolate mint anything since then. I still feel sick when I eat that combo (and yes, I am sure it is all in my head.)  In general, the only minty thing I "eat" is toothpaste.  and no Winter mint for me, it has to be peppermint. Winter mint smells like what toilet bowl cleaner probably tastes like. 

I also do not eat chinese food...essentially ever. My exception (if you count it as chinese food) is chicken fried rice. 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
I can't stand spearmint.  It is like the sickly sweet rotting carcass of peppermint.  Makes me gag. 

Also anything with wet bread or cake.  Like trifle. 

Because PANTS

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »
I can't stand spearmint.  It is like the sickly sweet rotting carcass of peppermint.  Makes me gag. 

Also anything with wet bread or cake.  Like trifle.

Ahh, you must really hate tiramisu, or bread pudding. I love wet liqueur-soaked cakes.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
Ahh, you must really hate tiramisu, or bread pudding. I love wet liqueur-soaked cakes.

Why yes,  I do  :D
Because PANTS

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Oh, and grape jelly.  I burned out on it by 10 and I just can't eat it.  I've tried.  I can't.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
oh and i have not had alcohol in over 10 years. I also avoid HFCS and food dye. Once again, i am captain no fun ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

siamesedream

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
oh and i have not had alcohol in over 10 years. I also avoid HFCS and food dye. Once again, i am captain no fun ;)

:bow2:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
I never had a problem with drinking per se, but i lived in Boston where it seems EVERYONE over indulges in alcohol consumption. When I was starting grad school i felt like there was a disconnect from the profession i was pursuing and the amount of drinking I was doing and stopped drinking. I still went to bars/clubs, but drank juice or diet coke. When I finished my board exams a couple years later, i had a couple celebratory drinks and got violently ill, then many months later i had one drink and got violently ill again. That was it. I had a mike's hard lemonade at my wedding, that is it. No alcohol since. My body definitely had its own opinions on whether it wanted me to drink it or not :D And it was making me fat.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

siamesedream

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
I never had a problem with drinking per se, but i lived in Boston where it seems EVERYONE over indulges in alcohol consumption. When I was starting grad school i felt like there was a disconnect from the profession i was pursuing and the amount of drinking I was doing and stopped drinking. I still went to bars/clubs, but drank juice or diet coke. When I finished my board exams a couple years later, i had a couple celebratory drinks and got violently ill, then many months later i had one drink and got violently ill again. That was it. I had a mike's hard lemonade at my wedding, that is it. No alcohol since. My body definitely had its own opinions on whether it wanted me to drink it or not :D And it was making me fat.

That's awesome.

Alcohol is definitely a lot of extra, and empty, calories.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
That's awesome.

Alcohol is definitely a lot of extra, and empty, calories.
I started Weight Watchers in grad school and was not gonna waste my few points a day on liquor. Boston is a rough place to be sober.

siamesedream

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »
I started Weight Watchers in grad school and was not gonna waste my few points a day on liquor. Boston is a rough place to be sober.

Soba,  ;)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
Soba,  ;)
I am not even sure that word is in their dictionary! Lol

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Not a whole lot. But lately, I do not use sriracha when it's available and everyone else is swoonng over it. too sweet.
I just discovered sriracha in tuna fish - omg that stuff is awesome.
I won't eat liver and lately I have discovered that as much as I love red meat, it does not love me back.  So I gave it up ... I hope.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »
rice. basically like eating meal worms.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »

Wow. You people have issues. ;)

Only in the America people can be picky about food. Having grown up with not having plentiful food I think helped me be a normal eater. Srsly, there's nothing that I won't try or eat barring raw animal guts or rotten food. I'm not even allergic to anything. I think picky eating is a first world problem. Am I right?
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Seriously Srsly? I think you fell off your soapbox and banged your head.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
It is not just Americans that are picky eaters I know this for sure.  I do think sometimes being spoiled for choice makes people appear pickier.  If you are hungry and there is only one thing to eat you are gonna eat it.   :D
Because PANTS

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »

Worse than meal worms.  At least with the worms you get that little squirt when they pop.  Rice is so boring. 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Now I am craving rice  >:(

I once got food poisoning and projectile vomited couscous with chickpeas out of my nose.  It was not my fave food for a bit after that but I rallied  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »

Ranch Dressing (people sneak it in stuff and it makes me vomit)
Shellfish (not picky...just don't want to die)
Soy (again not picky...I am intolerant)

+-SUPPORT US