Author Topic: I made biscuits!  (Read 9919 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
I made biscuits!
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
From scratch!! These are for the Super Bowl breakfast, and I was going to post the pic in my Super Bowl breakfast thread but I wanted them to have their own thread. :D
My first time ever making them. I'm going back downstairs in just a minute to taste one to make sure it's ok, as soon as Sophia goes back to sleep.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: I made biscuits!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
Wow... you did your Southern Girl roots proud with that! 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
Wow... you did your Southern Girl roots proud with that! 

:D I know!! I can't believe i've never tried before. I tried one with some butter and honey, felt like I was back at Chick fil A for a split second

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
:D I know!! I can't believe i've never tried before. I tried one with some butter and honey, felt like I was back at Chick fil A for a split second

You can tell from the pic they are the real deal!   :D
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
yup. they look delicious.

We have an AMAZING breakfast place here named Biscuithead.  You stand in a ridonkulous line to order the best biscuit you've ever had plus whatever else you get on it, from eggs and bacon to fried green tomatoes and goat cheese to steak.  They have a marmalade and compound butter bar that has things like habaƱero lime jam, almond jam (most delicious thing you could put in your mouth) and blueberry and ghost chili butter.

You should make more biscuits and have a biscuit & fixin's party.  OR if you have leftovers, use them for strawberry shortcake.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »
These look like my grandma's from KY.  Now you just need some sausage gravy and you will be all set.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
those look ridiculously good. Recipe?

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
Thanks y'all!! Dh said the flavor was great, just a tiny bit too thick.

Diablita after I tasted one I said to myself that they would be amazing for strawberry shortcake. And a biscuit restaraunt?? That sounds so good.

CFL they were way, way, way easier than I had anticipated. I mixed two recipes, kind of. When I made the dough, I didn't know what the consistency was supposed to be. It was pretty sticky and not dry like regular bread dough. Right then Sophia woke up. So I had to run up and nurse her back to sleep. As I was doing that I googled about the dough. I came across some site, a want to say it was chowhound. They talked about not kneading it too much, and some recipe from the food scientist that works with Alton brown, where instead of rolling the dough, she just drops ice cream scoops full into flower, lightly dusts the whole thing, then puts it in the pan no wanted the biscuits to have that rough top, not the flat rolled top, because I don't like crunchy tops. So I did that.
I used an 8-inch skillet, whatever the smallest one is. The recipe doesn't make that much dough.
When I got back down, I scooped the dough up in a 1/4 cup measuring cup, because a ice cream scooper sealed to small. I dropped it into a bowl of flour and just sprinkled some on top instead of rolling it around. I very lightly shaped the ball, just a tiny but, then just put them all in the pan.
The recip days to bake for 12 minutes . But I had to keep adding 2 minutes because they weren't done. I think I did about 22 in total. I'll probably make a little less than 1/4 cup next time since dh said they were just a smidge too thick.
Also, I added 1.5 tablespoon of baking powder as the reviews state, and they rose just fine.

http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, cubed
3/4 cup milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut butter into mixture until it begins to look like cornmeal.
Make a well with flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with small biscuit cutter.
Butter bottom of skillet and place biscuits in pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »
These look like my grandma's from KY.  Now you just need some sausage gravy and you will be all set.

Man. I'll definitely have to try this when I get home. Turkey sausage is very rare around here. They *might* have beef or chicken, but I only like turkey.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:03 AM »
I'm googling to see if leftover biscuits are supposed to be hard and I keep getting stuff about a band called leftover biscuits! Lol.

There was only 1 1/2 left and dh wrapped them in foil and put in the fridge. They are kind of hard on top. The reason I don't know this answer is because I have never had leftover biscuits!!!

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »
Those look amazing!  There' not a thing in the world I love more than a home made biscuit. I can still hear my great-granny saying when we visited her midday "Go on in there and getcha an ol' cold biscuit."  And we did, and we put her homemade butter and the honey from my great-pa's bees on it. Then we ate it quietly so we didn't disturb her "stories" on tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline redkitty

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
Yes biscuits can definitely get hard if they are leftover.  I don't know the exact science behind it, but I am convinced it because of all of the grease leaving the biscuit.  :D

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »
Those look amazing!  There' not a thing in the world I love more than a home made biscuit. I can still hear my great-granny saying when we visited her midday "Go on in there and getcha an ol' cold biscuit."  And we did, and we put her homemade butter and the honey from my great-pa's bees on it. Then we ate it quietly so we didn't disturb her "stories" on tv.

What a sweet memory.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
I want a biscuit.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
I'm googling to see if leftover biscuits are supposed to be hard and I keep getting stuff about a band called leftover biscuits! Lol.

There was only 1 1/2 left and dh wrapped them in foil and put in the fridge. They are kind of hard on top. The reason I don't know this answer is because I have never had leftover biscuits!!!
we don't refrigerate leftover biscuits (of course that's mostly theoretical - a leftover biscuit is a rare thing).  But a quick pop in the microwave should soften them up.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
I'm making coconut flour (paleo) biscuits later.  I hear that they're decent.  I'll report back later.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
How did the coconut flour biscuits turn out?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
I made biscuits!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
They're sitting uneaten in my kitchen. Blech. Sorry.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
Did you really have to wonder?  There is s reason that biscuits taste so good, it's b/c they are not filled with health food... ;)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
Did you really have to wonder?  There is s reason that biscuits taste so good, it's b/c they are not filled with health food... ;)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

:D

+-SUPPORT US