Author Topic: Invited to dinner...okay to bring this as a hostess gift?  (Read 5944 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Invited to dinner...okay to bring this as a hostess gift?
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
I am meeting up with a friend at his friends house for dinner on Thursday.  I don't want to show up empty handed - but don't want to bring wine or flowers....from the little I gather, they will likely have that all taken care of.

I have a loaf pan from Williams Sonoma for making lemon poppy seed bread that makes a pretty impression of lemons on top of the bread.  I thought to bring bread made in that.  That way, it's absolutely for them for later (more of a breakfast food)... and it least shows some thought / time, etc.

Let me know if you like that idea - and a creative way to wrap it - maybe just freezer paper and raffia?
Any other ideas?

Thanks!!
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Invited to dinner...okay to bring this as a hostess gift?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »
Sounds great and now i want that pan! :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
Thx for the reply!

BTW, It's on amazon!
--RioG

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Sure! I'm sure it will be appreciated. =)

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
I love that idea!

A friend once brought me a cupcake from a fancy bakery as a gift when I hosted a ladies' night dinner.  I thought that was awesome.  :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
Thanks, RA and caito too.
--RioG

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
as for wrapping, you can just wrap it in clear wrap with a nice ribbon/bow and maybe a nicely presented recipe for lemon loaf tied to it :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Cute! And I like the idea of the recipe attached. That way they can also know the ingredients without having to ask (in case they have allergies or something). I want that pan too!
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
I think that's a great idea! Maybe you can reiterate that it's meant for later so they won't feel obligated to open it and slice it up for everyone.. a simple, "I thought you two would enjoy this for breakfast tomorrow! I enclosed a recipe so you can make it again."

Someone gave me wine at a gathering at my house and she said, "I thought you and your husband could enjoy this together later." It was perfect, because I didn't have a wine-opener at the time (knowing this, when I saw the wine, I freaked out a little.. I didn't want to offend her by not opening it!) Then when she said that, all the pressure to open it that night had been eased. WHEW!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »
I think that's a great idea! Maybe you can reiterate that it's meant for later so they won't feel obligated to open it and slice it up for everyone.. a simple, "I thought you two would enjoy this for breakfast tomorrow! I enclosed a recipe so you can make it again."

Someone gave me wine at a gathering at my house and she said, "I thought you and your husband could enjoy this together later." It was perfect, because I didn't have a wine-opener at the time (knowing this, when I saw the wine, I freaked out a little.. I didn't want to offend her by not opening it!) Then when she said that, all the pressure to open it that night had been eased. WHEW!

1 to this - every year we go to a Christmas party at a friend's where I know they always have tons of food, but I usually bring something I made for post-party breakfast the next day, like coffee cake or scones. It's a big hit.
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
lovely idea!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
I guess I'm going to be the lone naysayer.  I'm never a happy camper when people show up to my dinner party with food they weren't asked to bring.   :grr:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
I guess I'm going to be the lone naysayer.  I'm never a happy camper when people show up to my dinner party with food they weren't asked to bring.   :grr:

she isn't expecting them to serve it, just enjoy it later... no conflict

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
I would love it!

I love the pan, I love lemons, I love cake.  And bread.

+-SUPPORT US