Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 84655 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Have I shared this recipe for chickpea crackers?

A local friend made some for me and I went googling for an approximation.  They're very, very good.  We eat them plain but I'd love them with a tapenade or white bean dip.
I made these and they are DELICIOUS!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »
aren't they???  :)  glad you liked them!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Have I shared this recipe for chickpea crackers?

A local friend made some for me and I went googling for an approximation.  They're very, very good.  We eat them plain but I'd love them with a tapenade or white bean dip.

I finally made these! I really need to buy some new silpats mine are just beat up and the crackers KIND of stuck. They did pop off but they left kind of a film.

Anyway-- my first impression was that they were kind of woody in texture but pretty tasty. But, BF loves them and they are growing on me. We've been eating taco salad all weekend and he was lamenting the lack of crispy bread items in the salad so this really hit the spot for him on that.

I like the idea of eating them with tapenade. I brought them with lunch today which is hummus and veggies and it feels a little redundant!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
yes, I agree with hummus.  tapenade next time.  or vegetarian chopped liver!  I had some last night at a dinner party and it was delicious.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:39 PM »
Veggie liver? Lol! How does that work??

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »
I know!  Usually it's a combo of hard boiled eggs, peas or green beans (or both), some walnuts, etc ground up.  It's really delicious if done well.  Here's a recipe from a poster I like but I need to get the recipe from the other night because it was exceptional:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/07/aunt-bevs-vegetarian-chopped-liver/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:55 AM »
I know!  Usually it's a combo of hard boiled eggs, peas or green beans (or both), some walnuts, etc ground up.  It's really delicious if done well.  Here's a recipe from a poster I like but I need to get the recipe from the other night because it was exceptional:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/07/aunt-bevs-vegetarian-chopped-liver/
Pinned to try!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
annual bump!

anyone trying something new this year?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »

Offline ihop

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
I have to make mac and cheese for a potluck tomorrow for DH's tennis league.

DD and I am making cookies for a cookie exchange tomorrow night.  The girls try to one up each other every year and it is all about appearances.  Sometimes I hate pinterest!

I have to make pumpkin bars, bacon breadsticks and roasted brussels sprouts for a party we are hosting on Sunday.  It should be around 50 people and every family brings something but I have also ordered lasagna and eggplant parmesan from a local restaurant because I don't.have.time.to.cook.more.than.I.am.

And next weekend, we will make the usual holiday cookies and spread them around the neighborhood.

And I haven't even thought about Christmas dinner.  I wanted our usual shrimp and grits for Christmas eve but that got voted down.  Seafood is a tradition so we need to agree on something else!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Attempting for Christmas dinner: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/03/chocolate-hazelnut-macaroon-torte/

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
Attempting for Christmas dinner: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/03/chocolate-hazelnut-macaroon-torte/

Dacquoise! I have made the America's test kitchen one several times. It is a looooong process but so worth it. Once I have made it once, I have been able to premake parts of it for ease, otherwise it is a full day activity.

I have a cookie exchange at my house this weekend, DD and I made and wrapped 189 apple cider caramels  :e) Cookies will be made tomorrow and food prepped and made Saturday night and Sunday.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
I hope not all day. My MIL will be here and anytime I spend more than 20 min in the kitchen she goes on about "sooooo much WORK"

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »
Meri, is ATK recipe GF?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2017, 05:56:52 AM »
Meri, is ATK recipe GF?

Yes! Dacquoise are meringue based. I cannot eat almonds so i did all hazelnuts. It is one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. It tastes better the next day too

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
We are forgoing the traditional goose this year on Xmas eve, to make life easier since MIL is recently out of the hospital. Instead we are having steamed lobsters.

We always bring the first course, and we usually do a cold seafood salad, but we will change that up, too and I'm going to make chowder instead. I have a good NE clam chowder recipe, but I was thinking of doing a corn chowder instead. Anyone have a good recipe for that?

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
Preparing steamed lobsters doesn't sound easier to me, but I'm not well-practiced in seafood preparation! 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Preparing steamed lobsters doesn't sound easier to me, but I'm not well-practiced in seafood preparation!

Haha yeah we are new englanders, making lobsters is as easy as making ramen noodles for us.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
My fruitcake is in the oven.  And oh my, was the batter delicious.  It is a Portuguese custom to have Bolo de Rei cake from 12/25-1/6.  Fruitcake is basically this!  When I was putting together the dried and candy fruit to steep, I took a bite and was transported back to my childhood.  My grandmother used to make fruitcake cookies that were awesome and send us a big box on a regular basis.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US