Author Topic: How do you make zucchini?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
How do you make zucchini?
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:52:30 PM »
I harvested my first zukes yesterday, and and am now preparing for the inevitable onslaught of summer squash. We always seem to wind up with more than I can eat (nobody else here really likes it that much). What are your favorite techniques for preparing zucchini and/or yellow squash?

I like to saute mine in a pan in butter, with some herbs and parmesan cheese. Tonight I mixed it up and used bacon grease instead of butter, and that was friggin' delicious, but I need more recipes. How do you make your zucchini?

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: How do you make zucchini?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
You need to get onions and tomatoes into the mix, 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:07:05 PM »
Here are things I’m going to try this year, but haven’t before.

Pan fried zucchini (pretty much sounds like what you already do.)
Make lots of soup
Shred and combine with shredded potatoes and make potato pancakes
Slice squashes and tomato and roast drizzled in olive oil
Grill them (ok I’ve done this before)
Mix into brownies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
I do grill mine. That's my other go to.

I think I have some sort of zoodling device somewhere, but that seems like a pain. I've not actually tried it, though.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:23:44 AM »
DIced and roasted and thrown into salad, sauteed, spiralized, stuffed.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:00 AM »
So many ways already mentioned: sliced lengthwise and grilled, roasted, zoodles (I do a lot of this, really love it combined with seared scallops) etc.  My favorite (and really healthy way to prepare them) is to slice them into fairly thin rounds, heat some olive oil in a saute pan (that has a lid) and cook the rounds for a few minutes over medium high heat then add lots of dried herbs and either veg broth or water (around 1/2 cup b/c my pan has sloping sides but you could do more) and put the lid on.  Let that cook for at least 20 minutes and the zucchini gets softish and really delicious and develops a broth.  Serve that over rice or cauli rice.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
i grilled some teeny ones whole yesterday, and served warm with goat cheese, basil, and some toasted bread crumbs.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
Sauteed with onions.

Sliced lengthwise and stuffed with taco meat, then baked and topped with fun stuff.

Zucchini bread.

This: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/smothered-squash-and-pinto-beans

This was pretty good as well: http://kendrastreats.com/2016/03/zucchini-pizza-casserole/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:26:49 PM by seattlegirl »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
I grill my yellow squash with a mix of butter and olive oil, salt, and garlic.  It's good with a bit of balsamic glaze drizzled on.

You can basically make a casserole that is similar to baked mac and cheese, using squash instead of pasta, and italian cheese blend instead of cheddar.  Also use onion and basil.  Really tasty.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »
Once a year I'll make ratatouille but other than that it's always sauteed, grilled, or roasted. 

I do zoodles with them about once a week. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »
i grilled some teeny ones whole yesterday, and served warm with goat cheese, basil, and some toasted bread crumbs.

That sounds yum!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »

You can basically make a casserole that is similar to baked mac and cheese, using squash instead of pasta, and italian cheese blend instead of cheddar.  Also use onion and basil.  Really tasty.

How do you keep it from being mega watery? I am intrigued by the idea, but I feel like it would wind up kind of soupy.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
Once a year I'll make ratatouille but other than that it's always sauteed, grilled, or roasted. 

I do zoodles with them about once a week.

What's your zoodle technique? If I can get past the word zoodle  ;;} maybe I'll give it a try, since I have the doohickey.

(also, you win, ratatouille is the BEST answer but it takes so damn long!)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
I have a spiralizer. And, I do like spiralized zucchini. But, I prefer to think of them a spiralized vs noodles. Zucchini noodles are terrible noodles. Spiralized zucchini is just another way to eat it. It's a giant pain in the ass to do yourself though.

Some things that havent been suggested so far.

I also like it stirfried.

I also like it sauteed in butter or olive oil with something decently sour and soft herbs. So some combination of feta, lemon, capers, olives + some combination of dill, basil, mint, tarragon, thyme, etc. Throw in some shallots & garlic. Great with couscous or pasta or farro. Or white or garbanzo beans. Great with corn. Also good on toasted bread.

Also, fried squash flowers.

I love zucchini so much.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
I use a cheap spiralizer and then saute with olive oil and garlic... Mine works well and is really easy... It works well with grilled shrimp and fish or lighter stuff, but it isn't a great overall pasta replacement.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
TW-- which spiralizer do you have?

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »
I believe it's this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Spiralizer-Counter-Mounted/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

This particular unit is private branded by quite a few sellers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:00:58 PM by The Turtle Whisperer »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »
I can see where something like that would work better than the little hand held one I have. I don't have room in my kitchen for that size of gadget though

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »
I have a similar one, TW
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
zucchini fritters - grate masses of zucchini, salt it and let it sit for a while in the bowl, drain off the liquid, transfer the grated zucchini to a cheesecloth or clean dishtowel and wring the hell out of it to remove remaining water... mix with a beaten egg, herbs, minced onion and/or garlic, maybe some grated parm if you are into that, fresh sweet corn kernels if you are into that, whatever makes you happy... form into balls or patties... now, either dredge in flour and pan fry, or lightly brush with oil and bake in a hot oven until golden brown... serve with sauce appropriate to the flavours in it (marinara, salsa, aoili, whatever...)

zucchini burgers - similar to fritters, but add ground walnuts or mushed black beans (or both) and maybe an extra egg for binding and shape them like burgers then grill or bake until cooked through

caponata (in addition to or instead of eggplant, depending on whether it's also eggplant season or not)

VERY thinly sliced and laid out on the bottom of pizza and lightly brushed with olive oil and garlic it makes a fabulous substitute for a cream sauce base

big ones can be split in half, scooped out and filled with stuff and baked

+-SUPPORT US