Poll

If you are running along the side of the street, and a car pulls up to ask you for directions, do you:

Stop and get the people sorted out and on their way.
22 (88%)
Keep running while you give them directions and they drive drive slowly alongside.
2 (8%)
Pretend they aren't there and keep running.
1 (4%)
Shout that you can't stop right now, please ask a dog walker, and pick up your pace.
0 (0%)
Stop to take the opportunity to educate them about the courtesy of allowing runners to keep running and not bothering them for directions and it's 2018 why don't you have GPS and what the F is wrong with you anyway can't you see I'm bu
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Asking runners for directions - Exciting Poll  (Read 6833 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Asking runners for directions - Exciting Poll
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
No polls in tapatalk...
I think I’m supposed to say, “I wouldn’t help a dude.” ;)
But really, when I run at normal times, I get asked fairly often for directions. I’m always happy to give the best directions I can, or direct the person to a business where they maybe can get directions. I’m never in a real hurry. Running is my me time, but I’m happy to offer what help I can.

No, there really is no correct answer... I'm just a bit surprised to find out I'm on the arsehole end of the scale on this. 

I'm also thinking that maybe my city running is part of the reason this doesn't bother me. I have done almost all of my training while having to stop and wait for traffic lights and the like. Stuff interrupts my runs all the time! If I need to be able to run a specific pace with zero interruptions, I will go to the track. Stopping to give directions just isn't going to make/break my run.

Huh.  Maybe you are on to something.  I live in a really rural area and there are really no interruptions generally... no traffic, no traffic lights... sometimes I'm out of sight of any actual houses or named roadways for long stretches.

It's also possible part of my reaction has to do with the strong part of my personality that hates asking other people for help under any circumstances.  I think it might make me irritated by people who do ask for help... irrational, but possible.  Or maybe because there are so few roads in the place I live, I am dumbfounded and irritated by anyone lost in the first place?  Hmmm.

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
People were constantly asking me for directions to the King St School.  Interestingly, it wasn't on King St, but South King St..  One person wanted directions to a red barn, she was already there.  She looked left to ask me for directions; and it was on her right.  One person asked me for directions to a summer camp in MA.  Unfortunately, he was asking me in CT, at least a 100 miles from his destination. But, when you're running in a different town or are 6-8 miles from home, it is pretty hard to give accurate directions.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:46 AM »
the most common place people ask me for directions to is the rehab facility up the hill...

occasionally tourists will stop me and ask if I know where they can see any icebergs, which are difficult to give directions to... other than just keep driving along the coast and look out into the water, if there are any, that's where they'll be...

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
I once had the people stop and they were well off the mark.   I told them they needed to go back to the highway and exit in the other direction.  They told me I was wrong.   I was running on a road called “sunset”.  They were looking for “sunrise” which was on the other (west) side of town.   So, maybe I was wrong😆

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
You should have asked them for directions since they were so knowledgeable and you were clearly lost  :sidesplit:

+-SUPPORT US