Poll

If you are running along the side of the street, and a car pulls up to ask you for directions, do you:

Stop and get the people sorted out and on their way.
22 (88%)
Keep running while you give them directions and they drive drive slowly alongside.
2 (8%)
Pretend they aren't there and keep running.
1 (4%)
Shout that you can't stop right now, please ask a dog walker, and pick up your pace.
0 (0%)
Stop to take the opportunity to educate them about the courtesy of allowing runners to keep running and not bothering them for directions and it's 2018 why don't you have GPS and what the F is wrong with you anyway can't you see I'm bu
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Asking runners for directions - Exciting Poll  (Read 6647 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Asking runners for directions - Exciting Poll
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Asking for a friend worried about how they reacted to an elderly couple trying to find something...

Offline MiniDriver

Re: Asking runners for directions - Exciting Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »
Shrug and say "I don't know" and keep going.  Because that's usually the truth: I have no idea how to direct them to where they're going. 
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
I try to help but almost never really know where I am.   I mean I know where I am but usually not well enough to tell other people where they need to go. 

This literally happened to me about 1.5 hours ago.  The person asking for directions was a woman who was probably about 70 and looking for a doctor's office.  I was in the middle of nowhere and can't imagine that there were any offices of any type there but maybe the dr runs an office out of his/her house?  This woman didn't even have an address, she just pulled over and asked me where dr Callan's office is.  Ummm, I dunno??
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
I always stop and try to help.  More than once I've realized to my horror after they've driven off that I totally screwed them up.  :-[  But I had the best intentions.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Why would you not stop and help an elderly couple, that is someone's parent FFS.

Offline escargot

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
I think it depends on the circumstances. If there's one rule I make it's there are no rules, only principles.
"That said you are a dick escargot and I do not care to engage with you." - Coyote Mas Loco

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Why would you not stop and help an elderly couple, that is someone's parent FFS.

would you answer differently if it was a middle-aged dude by himself?

my friend slowed down and said "I don't know where you want to go.  I can't stop now." then ran away... she's worried that was rude...

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
Shrug and say "I don't know" and keep going.  Because that's usually the truth: I have no idea how to direct them to where they're going.

This is me. I tried to help a lady find a hockey rink once and unintentionally sent her in the completely wrong direction, so now I'm just like, uhhhhh shrug.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
you need to add "yell 'do you people not have google maps?' add eye-roll and condescending sneer for added effect"

Offline monster2

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
would you answer differently if it was a middle-aged dude by himself?

my friend slowed down and said "I don't know where you want to go.  I can't stop now." then ran away... she's worried that was rude...

Was it an elderly man by himself?

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »
Stop, get you sorted. Chat you up and have a quick laugh between us if I am lucky.

Safety concerns aside, it's only running.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
It would depend on the situation. I'd definitely stop to help someone if it seemed legitimate. I am always a little wary of people who stop to approach me while running & they are in a car though.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:50:30 PM »
It would depend on the situation. I'd definitely stop to help someone if it seemed legitimate. I am always a little wary of people who stop to approach me while running & they are in a car though.

The worst is when you get the slow follow. And it's some weirdo, hanging out of the window to ask you questions. And you are running somewhere where you can't duck into a store or something, and you obviously can't outrun a vehicle.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
I should add the caveat that I used to work downtown, where you were constantly being bombarded by people trying to get your attention to sell you things, get you to sign things, talk to you about religion, ask for spare change, etc. So, I have finely honed my "tuning you out" skills and have, on many occasions, ignored a tourist asking for directions, because I didn't realize what was happening until too late.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
The worst is when you get the slow follow. And it's some weirdo, hanging out of the window to ask you questions. And you are running somewhere where you can't duck into a store or something, and you obviously can't outrun a vehicle.

Right. So, if someone slows down in their car to follow me, I am probably freaking out trying to decide WITHOUT MAKING EYE CONTACT whether they are dangerous. So I probably wouldn't notice it was an elderly couple.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Was it an elderly man by himself?

would it make a difference?

I am impressed and surprised by how many people would stop.  I have no problem trying to help people with directions when I am out walking the dog, or mowing my lawn, or walking to the store, whatever... but when I am out for a run, I usually have a specific plan, I am sometimes doing things like hill repeats, but regardless, I am pretty sure that between my clothes and gait that it is pretty obvious I am out for a run... which means I am busy... so please don't stop me to ask directions, it interferes with my workout... I mean, I'm no elite runner... my time on the 10 mile race in July will not be affected by stopping to give directions... but it's very possible I won't start again once I've stopped...

At any rate, I would never pull up beside a pile of people playing soccer in a park and expect them to take a break and give me directions.  Or someone on a bicycle.  For me, don't stop a runner is a basic courtesy. 

Good thing I didn't say I want people to think of me as kind in that other thread...

Offline monster2

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
It would make a slight difference if it was an elderly man alone depending on where I was.  There are plenty of variables, is it dark, am I in the middle of nowhere, do I have my phone on me, do I feel unsafe?

If it was the scenario as originally described then, yes, I would help.  Back when I did run I was actually stopped for directions a mere handful of times, it was never such an inconvenience to help someone.  The key word here is help, most people only stop a random person(s) when they are truly lost.  I would want someone to help my mother or my parents. 

Offline ZyggiStarbucks

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
 No polls in tapatalk...
I think I’m supposed to say, “I wouldn’t help a dude.” ;)
But really, when I run at normal times, I get asked fairly often for directions. I’m always happy to give the best directions I can, or direct the person to a business where they maybe can get directions. I’m never in a real hurry. Running is my me time, but I’m happy to offer what help I can.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
I've always stopped for people, but depending on the nature of the run, may have inwardly cursed them.   This day and age, I'd expect most people to have some sort of damn GPS and be able to figure it out for themselves, but on the off-chance that I'm actually running, it's highly unlikely to be any kind of serious training, so it doesn't matter.   I'm a lot less particular about stopping during runs than I used to be.  Of course I have a shitty sense of direction and would probably do them more harm than good unless it was in my immediate neighborhood anyway.   Granted I'm also a dude, which presumably means that people are less likely to be pulling over to be weird, but are genuinely lost. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »
I'm also thinking that maybe my city running is part of the reason this doesn't bother me. I have done almost all of my training while having to stop and wait for traffic lights and the like. Stuff interrupts my runs all the time! If I need to be able to run a specific pace with zero interruptions, I will go to the track. Stopping to give directions just isn't going to make/break my run.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
No polls in tapatalk...
I think I’m supposed to say, “I wouldn’t help a dude.” ;)
But really, when I run at normal times, I get asked fairly often for directions. I’m always happy to give the best directions I can, or direct the person to a business where they maybe can get directions. I’m never in a real hurry. Running is my me time, but I’m happy to offer what help I can.

No, there really is no correct answer... I'm just a bit surprised to find out I'm on the arsehole end of the scale on this. 

I'm also thinking that maybe my city running is part of the reason this doesn't bother me. I have done almost all of my training while having to stop and wait for traffic lights and the like. Stuff interrupts my runs all the time! If I need to be able to run a specific pace with zero interruptions, I will go to the track. Stopping to give directions just isn't going to make/break my run.

Huh.  Maybe you are on to something.  I live in a really rural area and there are really no interruptions generally... no traffic, no traffic lights... sometimes I'm out of sight of any actual houses or named roadways for long stretches.

It's also possible part of my reaction has to do with the strong part of my personality that hates asking other people for help under any circumstances.  I think it might make me irritated by people who do ask for help... irrational, but possible.  Or maybe because there are so few roads in the place I live, I am dumbfounded and irritated by anyone lost in the first place?  Hmmm.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
People were constantly asking me for directions to the King St School.  Interestingly, it wasn't on King St, but South King St..  One person wanted directions to a red barn, she was already there.  She looked left to ask me for directions; and it was on her right.  One person asked me for directions to a summer camp in MA.  Unfortunately, he was asking me in CT, at least a 100 miles from his destination. But, when you're running in a different town or are 6-8 miles from home, it is pretty hard to give accurate directions.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:46 AM »
the most common place people ask me for directions to is the rehab facility up the hill...

occasionally tourists will stop me and ask if I know where they can see any icebergs, which are difficult to give directions to... other than just keep driving along the coast and look out into the water, if there are any, that's where they'll be...

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
I once had the people stop and they were well off the mark.   I told them they needed to go back to the highway and exit in the other direction.  They told me I was wrong.   I was running on a road called “sunset”.  They were looking for “sunrise” which was on the other (west) side of town.   So, maybe I was wrong😆

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
You should have asked them for directions since they were so knowledgeable and you were clearly lost  :sidesplit:

+-SUPPORT US