Author Topic: GPS watch rec.?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline teetime

• The Runners
GPS watch rec.?
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
I finally had to toss my old Garmin.

I'm looking for something that tells me how far I've gone and how fast. That's it. No need to sync with anything, call anyone, or even store data. BUT, I would like something that takes less than 20 minutes to find my location (my old watch was getting ridiculous).

I see watches ranging from $50-500 on amazon so am reaching out to the CH-experts :)

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
Re: GPS watch rec.?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 610 for at least 5 years now, probably longer.  I still love it although it does more than what you are looking for.  (To be honest, I'm not even sure if they still make the 610 of if they have upgraded several times over the years.)

Do you have a smartphone?   I know some people just use the gps function of their smartphones and free apps like RunKeeper or MapMyRun etc to track their mileage.  I havn't tried any of those yet because my Garmin 610 still works great for me. 

If you really want in depth reviews of all things GPS related, check out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ .  Pretty much anything and everything you will ever care to know about gps devices are on that site. 
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
Another fan of dcrainmaker here.  What he doesn't know about these gadgets isn't worth knowing.  If I thought I needed a GPS watch, I would browse his site for info. 

Personally, I just use the native Workout app on my Apple watch.  My watch is the early version without a GPS chip.  But it synchs up with the GPS in my phone when the phone is nearby.  If you take the phone along for a few workouts, the watch calibrates itself.  It's pretty clear how that works.  As you are walking or running at various paces, the watch is getting smarter and smarter about how to evaluate variations in your stride length and about how that translates to distance covered.  After a few workouts, you can just leave the phone at home and still get near-GPS-level accuracy on how far you've traveled. 

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
This Tom Tom Spark 3 looks like a pretty decent gps watch for fairly cheap money (99.00).

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/sports/fitness-trackers/gps-fitness-watch-spark3/black-small/
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
I looked at the tom tom but went with Forerunner 25 (Garmin). Key selling point was that it comes in two sizes. I hate large bulky watches which is why I only wore my old gps for long runs. The small is light and so far great.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

+-SUPPORT US