Author Topic: Stuffed AvOcado?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
Stuffed AvOcado?
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:17:11 PM »
I had something new to me while we were on vacation over Christmas.  It was at a Mexican restaurant.  It was listed as an appetizer, but I had it as a meal.

It was an avocado halved stuffed with a shredded Mexican chicken mixture and cheese, then it was dipped in tempura coating and fried.  It was really good.  Not sure if this is a new thing, but it was new to me and sadly something I probably wouldn't/couldn't recreate at home so I will have to wait until we visit again. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:29:32 PM by Rochey »

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Stuffed Avacado?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Yes, a Panko coated version is also very popular, my fave as well. 

If you have something that can fry deep enough to submerge an avocado, it's pretty easy.  You can fill them with anything. 

Here's a good example... 

http://mexicanappetizersandmore.com/fried-avocado-stuffed-with-shrimp/

You can also take avocado slices and follow the breading example and pan fry.  They don't suck.  :)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
I shouldn't be such a scaredy cat with cooking.  I should try it! 

Thanks for that recipe. 

I think the tempura part worried me,   but this is Alabama so I should be able to fry anything.   :D 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
I have made avocado fries for DD in the past, basically dredging the avocado slices in panko and i think i baked them. It was a long time ago. It was delicious.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
avocado  ;)

(my biggest spelling pet peeve)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
avocado  ;)

(my biggest spelling pet peeve)

:D

I've seen them spelled and called "guacamole's," so this wasn't so bad. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
I shouldn't be such a scaredy cat with cooking.  I should try it! 

Thanks for that recipe. 

I think the tempura part worried me,   but this is Alabama so I should be able to fry anything.   :D 

Lol. I'm always embarrassed that I'm from the south and have never made fried chicken. I'm just not a good fryer.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline ihop

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:43:29 AM »
I don't love to fry - it can be messy!  I have though about buying a deep fryer - they seem less intimidating to me.

There was a great little Tex Mex place in Annapolis that had fried stuffed avocados.  And delicious margaritas.   :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
I don't love to fry - it can be messy!  I have though about buying a deep fryer - they seem less intimidating to me.

There was a great little Tex Mex place in Annapolis that had fried stuffed avocados.  And delicious margaritas.   :D

This place?

Offline ihop

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
Yes! 

I actually think they were better in their old location.  The little place on Bay Ridge - it was small and I think their quality was more consistent.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »
Yes, a Panko coated version is also very popular, my fave as well. 

If you have something that can fry deep enough to submerge an avocado, it's pretty easy.  You can fill them with anything. 

Here's a good example... 

http://mexicanappetizersandmore.com/fried-avocado-stuffed-with-shrimp/

You can also take avocado slices and follow the breading example and pan fry.  They don't suck.  :)

Los Cucos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
Los Cucos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how I missed this, but yes.

He really has some hit and miss locations.  It seems he lets every third cousin open one... but, we are blessed to be at his home location and he cooks and oversees this one directly. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
For all that is good and holy in this world, PLEASE FIX THE SPELLING OF THE THREAD TITLE
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
 :roll:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Stuffed AvOcado?
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Hahaha!  Thank you cozymum.  It's one of my few spelling pet peeves.  :d

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
I did not correct the thread title, someone else did  :d, but I did make the recipe TW posted not long after this thread and it was delicious.  I also saved the link to that site because other recipes on there looked good too.  So, thanks TW!!

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
I did not correct the thread title, someone else did  :d, but I did make the recipe TW posted not long after this thread and it was delicious.  I also saved the link to that site because other recipes on there looked good too.  So, thanks TW!!

:D

I agree about their recipes, definitely some good ones. 

I make a version of this a lot, but I do them as flat enchiladas... basically a casserole.  It really is easy.

http://mexicanappetizersandmore.com/chicken-enchiladas-with-ancho-chile-sauce/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:39:15 AM by The Turtle Whisperer »

+-SUPPORT US