Author Topic: Toenail Loss  (Read 6635 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Toenail Loss
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
Please tell me how to prevent.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: Toenail Loss
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
If this is due to running, either keep the nails very short or buy training shoes a half size larger.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
For me, it was a half size larger shoes and better socks.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
What features do you buy in the way of socks.

I've lost a couple of toenails before but it was while training for half marathons. This came out of no where this morning. I ran 5 miles, didn't feel any problems while I was running but when I took my shoes and socks off the toenail was purple from the middle to the bottom edge (the nail bed) and might even be a little loose. It was in the upper 20s out. I was in old shoes because I left my newer ones at work. I'll go check the size.

I've just never had this pop up from one run.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:42:56 AM »
I lost toe nails when I trained for ultras. I think the twisting and turning on the trails caused it.  I did buy shoes that were larger than my daily-wear shoes.

About nail length: Back then I kept the nails short and often had blisters, caused by the toenails.  Now I keep the big toe nail short and all the others are longer.  I haven't had any blisters since.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
It was the shoe length. The old pair I grabbed is 1/2 a size smaller than my current pair. Dang it.

The toenail is looking less purple and more pink today. Maybe I won't lose it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:49 AM »
 :fingers: :fingers:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
My experience is that it's easier if you lose it altogether, as that makes it easier for the new one to grow back.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
But I thought that would be worse. The other two I lost took a while to fall off. By the time they did there was a new nail underneath. It may have been a little thinner than the original but it was enough to protect the nail bed. What's under there if the nail just goes ahead and falls off?

BTW -- so far so good. The nail is hurting less and less.  :fingers:

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
You are probably going to lose the toenail; but it won't be for awhile.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:45 AM »
But I thought that would be worse. The other two I lost took a while to fall off. By the time they did there was a new nail underneath. It may have been a little thinner than the original but it was enough to protect the nail bed. What's under there if the nail just goes ahead and falls off?

BTW -- so far so good. The nail is hurting less and less.  :fingers:

It sounds painful, but it isn't.  I never had any problems. I suspect I wore socks and closed shoes to protect.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
Shoes are too small. Two things will cause it-- shoes too small or stubbing it on a trail.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »
I always cut my toenails short right before every long run >=14 miles.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Well two days ago the nail came off. There is a new one underneath so I guess it takes me a little over three months to grow a replacement nail. Good to know.  :)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
I lost the toenail on my second toe after my last marathon.  I know it wasn't my shoe length, so it must have been my sock rubbing weird. 

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
Did yours take three months to lose? Mine is still hanging on to the left side of the nail bed and I'm too chicken to pull it off.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Mine took longer than that.  I'm pretty certain the one that just came off (and had an almost completely formed nail growing underneath) is a casualty of the Marine Corps Marathon last fall.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
Was it your big toe?

(Just trying to figure out why your toenail grows more slowly than mine. This has been bugging me for a week so I thought I might as well ask.)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
Nope, the one to the right of it on my right foot.  My hair and nails grow unbelievably fast.  Giving this some thought, I think it took a long time before my toenail decided it was going to go and the process of falling out/being replaced hasn't taken long.  There was no actual trauma during the race and my shoes fit fine.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
You're sure it was from the marathon?

Luckily a little nail polish camouflages the discoloration and funny looking regrowth.

+-SUPPORT US