Author Topic: Spiralizer  (Read 9948 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Spiralizer
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking. The spiralizer in the first picture Meri posted is BIG! It would take up pressure real estate in a small kitchen for a device that only performs one function - to make veggies look "pretty."
Which is why i like the second one and use it 90% of the time.

I have the first one - or one like it.  It is a pain the butt to clean - there are so many little parts, seams, tight areas that food gets caught in.

But I used it again last night for zucchini noodles which were served with tomato sauce.
Which is why i like the second one, you are slightly limited in vegetables you can spiralize, but it is small, easier to clean and takes up little space.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking. The spiralizer in the first picture Meri posted is BIG! It would take up precious real estate in a small kitchen for a device that only performs one function - to make veggies look "pretty."

Mine is enormous, approximately the size of a Buick.  It's currently parked on top of the fridge, but I think it will soon be garaged in the pantry where all the gizmos go to die. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
Is there a food processor blade that does the same thing?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
Not that i know of, a kitchenaid attachment, but it is pricey i would assume.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
That's kind of what I was thinking. The spiralizer in the first picture Meri posted is BIG! It would take up precious real estate in a small kitchen for a device that only performs one function - to make veggies look "pretty."

I've been staying out of this thread because I know people LOVE their spiralized veggies. I bought one, which was a little hand held one sort of like the other one meri posted in her first post. It's not that big-- about the size of a 1-cup measuring cup. I used it twice and have not used it since. I wasn't personally a huge fan of the spiralized veggies and found that pushing the veggies through the spiralizer was a lot of work, messy, and wasted a lot of the vegetable. In the end, you get zucchini. It is the same taste and texture as regular zucchini and the being vaguely pasta shaped did not change my perception magically into pasta. I'm just as happy with sauteed half-moons of zuke with whatever sauce on top.

For me this was a novelty/gadget fail. But far be it from me to tell people they shouldn't bother with it. I'm more irritated at myself for even trying. I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be for me, and I was right. Now I have a little plastic dohickey in my kitchen I will likely NEVER use.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:27:51 AM by Run Amok »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »

If you don't require them to be curly, yes, I think so. I believe I have a food processor blade that creates julienne sticks. Or you could use a mandoline.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
I looked at the KA attachment but it seems like a lot of money and would be a PITA. I have the bottom one and it works great.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
MM have you tried it yet?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
MM have you tried it yet?

Nope. Maybe this weekend.