Author Topic: A Farewell To Carbs  (Read 25745 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: A Farewell To Carbs
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I dislike it even more as an adult, my tastebuds must have evolved to a higher plane of existence.  :P

:D  You're still a young sprout.  There's time for you yet. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
I dislike it even more as an adult, my tastebuds must have evolved to a higher plane of existence.  :P
Do you dislike brussel sprouts as well? As an adult, they have become one of my most favorite vegetables and DD even likes them, and she is picky about which veggies she likes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Do you dislike brussel sprouts as well? As an adult, they have become one of my most favorite vegetables and DD even likes them, and she is picky about which veggies she likes.

I *love* brussel sprouts, always have.

The only vegetables I truly dislike are cabbage and green peas.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
I think it's totally ok to just not like something. That is why I don't eat meat. I just don't like it.

Ditto mushrooms. I really just do not like them. No matter how amazing any particular recipe is... I just don't like them. Nothing will change that. Although I wouldn't choose to eat them, I will not gag on some of the less fleshy wild type. People are always aghast: you are a vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms? how can that be?! I have no idea where mushrooms and vegetarians got connected. It's never made any sense to me.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
I think it's totally ok to just not like something. That is why I don't eat meat. I just don't like it.

Ditto mushrooms. I really just do not like them. No matter how amazing any particular recipe is... I just don't like them. Nothing will change that. Although I wouldn't choose to eat them, I will not gag on some of the less fleshy wild type. People are always aghast: you are a vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms? how can that be?! I have no idea where mushrooms and vegetarians got connected. It's never made any sense to me.

Interesting. They can be very "meaty" so I guess if you are a vegetarian because you don't like meat, it makes perfect sense to also dislike mushrooms. But if you are a vegetarian (for ethical or whatever else reason) but miss meat, you'd want some mushrooms.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
Interesting. They can be very "meaty" so I guess if you are a vegetarian because you don't like meat, it makes perfect sense to also dislike mushrooms. But if you are a vegetarian (for ethical or whatever else reason) but miss meat, you'd want some mushrooms.

I've never understood this. They don't seam "meaty" at all to me. They seem slimy and they taste like dirt. Neither of which I associate with meat. But, I do avoid a lot of meat substitutes for this reason. If they are too meaty, I can't eat them.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »
I detest cabbage and since I don't live in northern Europe I don't hafta eat it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
I've never understood this. They don't seam "meaty" at all to me. They seem slimy and they taste like dirt. Neither of which I associate with meat. But, I do avoid a lot of meat substitutes for this reason. If they are too meaty, I can't eat them.
I do not think mushrooms are meaty, jackfruit seems closer to meat vegetable wise. Meat substitutes freak me out.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
I have always eaten tofu and like it a lot. I know a lot of people hate soy though. Seitan too. Field roast is local to me and is seitan plus spices and veggies. I worked for the founder as a teenager and I like their values. 

That's pretty much it. Field roast is vaguely sausage shaped but not meaty in taste or texture.

I never use the plethora of products out there. But it seems like they are popular.

I've seen the jackfruit stuff at the store but skipped it bc the Nutritionals don't look.that good. Am I missing something?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
No, jackfruit is popular now because it is like pulled pork and easy to get a sauce on it. I thought it was gross.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
BA, how is this going?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
BA, how is this going?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

It's going okay. I haven't really been as hardcore as I envisioned. During the week I eat pretty low carb, but the weekends are a bit more flexible. I think I lost a few pounds but nothing significant.

I get really really bored very quickly when I cut carbs out of my diet. Apparently, that's all I really like. By the end of the week I'm always like, ugh, not more protein when I'm looking for something to eat.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Here's something easy and good I made the other day -- I had a pound of sausage (seasoned ground pork, not in links) that was quite spicy. I browned it all, and then added northern white beans and sauteed bok choy. It was really good on its own, DH had some over pasta. So simple, it's not really even a recipe, but it was a good combo of stuff that I had.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Here's something easy and good I made the other day -- I had a pound of sausage (seasoned ground pork, not in links) that was quite spicy. I browned it all, and then added northern white beans and sauteed bok choy. It was really good on its own, DH had some over pasta. So simple, it's not really even a recipe, but it was a good combo of stuff that I had.

I'd do that with escarole.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Noley

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Whoever came up with cauliflower rice is absolutely brilliant!  I had it with chicken breast today and it was pure heaven.  I almost felt guilty eating it.  Almost!!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Whoever came up with cauliflower rice is absolutely brilliant!  I had it with chicken breast today and it was pure heaven.  I almost felt guilty eating it.  Almost!!!
  :heartbeat:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
I agree that it's good, but if you want to eat the calorie number of rice, you need a lot more cauliflower.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
I'm loving the roasted cauliflower Bonita posted somewhere here in the FF. I make what I think is a big batch, enough for two meals, then it never is! So yummy and better for me than layering it in cheese to give it flavor.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
I'm loving the roasted cauliflower Bonita posted somewhere here in the FF. I make what I think is a big batch, enough for two meals, then it never is! So yummy and better for me than layering it in cheese to give it flavor.
No matter how much I make there is never any left over!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
No matter how much I make there is never any left over!

Which recipe are we talking about?

+-SUPPORT US