Author Topic: Cincinnati chili recipe  (Read 9779 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: Cincinnati chili recipe
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
You don't brown the onions either. A bit of the raw onion taste comes through. Try not to think of it as "chili" when you make it or eat it. It's not really like chili or spaghetti but is something else entirely.

I always short cut the recipe by adding less water so we can eat it in an hour or so. It's better when we plan ahead and let it simmer all afternoon in the crock pot.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »
I viscerally disturbed by the idea of boiling the ground beef.  I mean, I kind of know that in any sauce the beef is technically boiled/simmered, but usually it's browned first...

believe it or not, a lot of taco meat is done that way in the SW. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
believe it or not, a lot of taco meat is done that way in the SW.

I thought about that! I've seen recipes/techniques that describe it. I've never tried it, though.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
I think that's pretty close to the recipe I remember. I asked my MIL and she was all "some cinnamon, and, you know, the other things, and you Dan use grated chocolate or brown sugar or none of that. It's just whatever you want it to be."  I know for a fact she has the recipe written on an index card and just won't give it to me. She's weird that way.

We make Cincinnati chili but we just use the Gold Star package seasoning my FIL sends us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

We make Cincinnati chili but we just use the Gold Star package seasoning my FIL sends us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He sends it to you as a peace offering :D

My paternal grandmother used to do that, or she'd give out recipes but not share her mods for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Did anyone make it yet? How did it turn out?

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
I thought about that! I've seen recipes/techniques that describe it. I've never tried it, though.

You have to really lean on the seasoning to get it to work.  That's why it's typically garlic and onions. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:18 PM »
Did anyone make it yet? How did it turn out?

I'm going to try it!  We lived in Cincinnati (near suburb) for 9 years, and there was a Skyline Chili right by our research labs.  A group of us ran together, and once a month, we go to Skyline for lunch after our run.  One of the chemists (now a patent attorney) used to say "A 5K equals a 3-way."  :)

#notallprogressives

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
Cool! You'll be able to tell us if it tastes authentic.

I'm planning to cook a batch tonight. My crock pot died so simmering all day while I'm at work is not an option. I'll be short cutting the recipe by cutting the water in half. I've done this before and it's not as good but it will do in a  pinch.

+-SUPPORT US