Author Topic: "Hands free" chicken soup recipe?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
"Hands free" chicken soup recipe?
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
What I mean is that I'd like a recipe to make chicken soup that doesn't require it to be tasted and flavor adjusted, since I can't do that.  And I'd love for it to be majorly easy, like 'set it and forget it'.  Is that doable?  If so, recipe please?

I plan to make matzo balls for Yom Kippur Break Fast for a crowd and it would be nice to serve something other than boxed chicken broth with some carrots and onions simmered in.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: "Hands free" chicken soup recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
Never heard of such a thing, interested in seeing responses.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
the only way i can think to do it is to prep 1 day ahead.

roast bone-in chicken parts and a whole bunch of veggies :  prep the chicken, add salt and pepper.  toss onions, carrots, beets, parsnips, celery, garlic with oil.  spread veggies and chix on a roasting sheet and cook.  add some beet greens, leeks, and cabbage halfway through roasting time. 

once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken. 

then scrape the whole business into a container and refrigerate overnight.  next day, dump it all into a stock pot with water, some white wine, and cover.  bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and make kneydl.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
thanks witchy.  I'll go with something easier for tomorrow and follow this for another day.  It sounds very good.

I have half a rotisserie chicken in my fridge.  I wonder if I could take off the meat and simmer the carcass tomorrow with some of the vegetables and maybe half boxed chicken broth and half water to get a good flavor?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »
thanks witchy.  I'll go with something easier for tomorrow and follow this for another day.  It sounds very good.

I have half a rotisserie chicken in my fridge.  I wonder if I could take off the meat and simmer the carcass tomorrow with some of the vegetables and maybe half boxed chicken broth and half water to get a good flavor?

I wouldn't even bother with commercial chicken broth if you have a carcass to use.  Rotisserie chicken is well-seasoned which is half the battle done for you.

+-SUPPORT US