Author Topic: So, what are YOU riding?  (Read 18523 times)

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
Re: So, what are YOU riding?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
Forgot about this thread......again. When I get home if I remember I will post pics of my stable.
2008 Cannondale Six13 feminine 3 with combo of 105, ultegra and dura ace
3 year old Rocky Mountain 29'er and a Salsa Mukluk fat bike.
Also have a Trek hybrid for tooling around town. 
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
Forgot about this thread......again. When I get home if I remember I will post pics of my stable.
2008 Cannondale Six13 feminine 3 with combo of 105, ultegra and dura ace
3 year old Rocky Mountain 29'er and a Salsa Mukluk fat bike.
Also have a Trek hybrid for tooling around town. 

❤️
On, Wisconsin

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
I haven't been riding, but I have a 2004 Trek 1200. I might ride a little this weekend.  We are thinking of a near-staycation at a cabin in our local state park.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »
Ok.  So I've bought a new bike.  Its a late 70's or early 80's Apollo.  Its replacing the Bianchi which I've concluded it too small for me.  :(  I'm sorting the Bianchi out for sale. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Oh darn, that reminds me.  I never took that pic of my Bianchi for you.  Soon. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Just bought an early 80's or late 70's Apollo bicycle to replace my Bianchi.  Its sweet.  Much more primitive groupset than the Bianchi though, but it rides like a dream and the shifting is pretty smooth even though its friction. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
I am now remembering again why I wanted to upgrade to WSD shifters/brakes.  (And didn't because it would have run 1/2 the cost of the bike new).  Now that I'm having more hand pain and grip strength issues in general, if I really get riding again (have ridden short distances twice now), I will have break down and do something.  My components aren't high enough level that shims are available for the ones I have.  The bike is otherwise a decent fit for me, so I have no great excuse to get something fancier.  (I'd have to drop 15-20 lbs off my own human frame and do some serious riding again for carbon fiber to make sense, although I've lusted in the past.)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
I am now remembering again why I wanted to upgrade to WSD shifters/brakes.  (And didn't because it would have run 1/2 the cost of the bike new).  Now that I'm having more hand pain and grip strength issues in general, if I really get riding again (have ridden short distances twice now), I will have break down and do something.  My components aren't high enough level that shims are available for the ones I have.  The bike is otherwise a decent fit for me, so I have no great excuse to get something fancier.  (I'd have to drop 15-20 lbs off my own human frame and do some serious riding again for carbon fiber to make sense, although I've lusted in the past.)
Check some of the UK online bike stores for replacement parts.  They are generally quite a bit less expensive than the US stores. Check here.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/
https://www.merlincycles.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvtS6BRC8pcKn8OXIg_wBEiQAqtpizxiQHMlJ05B4OAcsstItXxGp3ajLiqao6B9moSyPcz8aAjmo8P8HAQ
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en
www.wiggle.com
www.probikekit.com/home.dept

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
I really don't know what I am doing without my bike shop.  I can barely change a tire.  (Or could.  Right now, with my hands, I probably can't).

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »

I would seriously consider changing the bike over to SRAM.  All of the SRAM groupsets have adjustable reach on the shifters and brake levers.  I plan to get SRAM for MrsT if she keeps riding her road bike.  I wouldn't bother with spending $ on a carbon frame - I think its pretty much just hype for the recreational riding crowd.  A good Aluminium or steel bike will serve you just as well if not better.  If you are comfortable on your current ride you could probably get a full SRAM groupset for around $560 US. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
Back when I was lighter and in shape, I test rode a carbon fiber bike.  I was going uphill in the big ring!  (I never use the big ring; even in great shape I don't have the muscle for it).  It was a noticeable difference.  Unexpectedly so.  But yeah, I was strong, good lung, and as light as it was healthy for me to be at the time.   That's pretty much the conventional wisdom; don't drop small amounts of bike weight unless you've dropped sufficient human weight.  (Different than the huge difference in a bulky hybrid comfort bike and a road bike.)  I have a good road bike. I will have to get past the spending of components the exceed the value of the bike.  The bike was $800ish new.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 09:01:55 PM »
If it's a good frame that fits you, spend away on components with reckless abandon.  Just because the bike came with parts that don't meet your needs, that doesn't mean you can't selectively tweak it into the bike of your dreams. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »
It is so sad that I've done several metric centuries, a multi-day trip, and a 100 miler on this bike, and that currently I can ride about 4 flat miles.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:27 PM »
My new bike is a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 6 Disc. So far, loving it.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
Back when I was lighter and in shape, I test rode a carbon fiber bike.  I was going uphill in the big ring!  (I never use the big ring; even in great shape I don't have the muscle for it).  It was a noticeable difference.  Unexpectedly so.  But yeah, I was strong, good lung, and as light as it was healthy for me to be at the time.   That's pretty much the conventional wisdom; don't drop small amounts of bike weight unless you've dropped sufficient human weight.  (Different than the huge difference in a bulky hybrid comfort bike and a road bike.)  I have a good road bike. I will have to get past the spending of components the exceed the value of the bike.  The bike was $800ish new.

That's an interesting perspective - I've never heard it before.  We generally work on the rotational weight model - which is that the really important weight to remove is the weight that you spin like wheels, pedals, cranks, tires, etc.  But yes, the most important weight to remove from the bike is the excess weight that you carry.  You may have been able to ride that carbon bike up the hill because it was geared lower than your current bike.  Gearing is also a huge factor in performance and comfort for the general riding population.  I switched to a compact crankset on my previous bike and a slightly wider range rear cluster and it made a huge difference for me in hill climbing. 

My new bike is a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 6 Disc. So far, loving it.

Sweet.  I was thinking of looking at the Synapse before I bought my brodie.     

Offline CharleyBrown

• Not Dead
  • L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux
    • Cheeky Fit and Fifty
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
Her name is Buttercup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Nice bike! 

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
The original Enduro

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
Nice! Will you get to take it to Australia?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
Forgot about this thread, Six Tgirteen, Winter and summer Mukluk and Rocky Mountain
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

+-SUPPORT US