Author Topic: So, what are YOU riding?  (Read 18525 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
So, what are YOU riding?
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
I am celebrating eight years with my beloved Quentin, who looks like this:

I bought it for $800 back then, and I'm not sure it's worth less now. Of course, virtually every part of the bike was replaced during the Great Breakdown of 2014, and I found good deals on components and was able to upgrade a fair amount of it from 105 to Ultegra.

Steel frame has held up very well and still provides a pretty smooth ride. And it was hilarious to pass everyone during the Ironman a couple years back.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
Re: So, what are YOU riding?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
when I ride something other than my desk chair, it a Specialized Roubaix.
Crabon fibre and 105 components. It's done everything I've ever asked of it.

Not my bike:

I also have an old Gary Fisher Paragon from 2001 that doesn't get out of the garage as often as I'd like it to.
It's a great old hardtail mountain bike that's been torn down and rebuilt so many times, I think the only original part left is the frame itself. Love that stupid bike.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
I'm usually on the Surly cross check.  I have two wheelsets, one for the road and one for the trails, so it's pretty much my swiss army knife. 

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »

Ok, ok, I know it doesn't have pedals, but dammit it's fun!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
Ok, ok, I know it doesn't have pedals, but dammit it's fun!

Sweet ride, I'll trade ya :)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »

In about a month I hope to be back on this:

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
I'm usually on the Surly cross check.  I have two wheelsets, one for the road and one for the trails, so it's pretty much my swiss army knife. 

Nice.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »
when I ride something other than my desk chair, it a Specialized Roubaix.
Crabon fibre and 105 components. It's done everything I've ever asked of it.

Not my bike:

I also have an old Gary Fisher Paragon from 2001 that doesn't get out of the garage as often as I'd like it to.
It's a great old hardtail mountain bike that's been torn down and rebuilt so many times, I think the only original part left is the frame itself. Love that stupid bike.

It's so pretty... :heartbeat:

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
I ride this built up with 10 speed Ultegra for fun:

http://www.brodiebikes.com/2013/bikes/rodie_ti.php

I ride something like this, but mine is built up Monster Cross style for transportation (presently - its getting a makeover to drop bars and Tiagra soon):

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb8844971/p5pb8844971.jpg

I have an old GT Zaskar for trails, an 85 Bianchi for vintage rides, an old Rocky Mountain Hammer as a backup commuter, and a vintage Diamondback I was thinking of converting to a shopping bike. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »

Carbon fiber and SRAM Rival 10.
I also have a cheap Fuji Mountain bike for around the neighborhood or on the MUP.

How do all of you ride your bikes without pedals?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:31:07 AM by Sir Real »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 08:29:47 AM »
I ride this built up with 10 speed Ultegra for fun:

http://www.brodiebikes.com/2013/bikes/rodie_ti.php

I ride something like this, but mine is built up Monster Cross style for transportation (presently - its getting a makeover to drop bars and Tiagra soon):

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb8844971/p5pb8844971.jpg

I have an old GT Zaskar for trails, an 85 Bianchi for vintage rides, an old Rocky Mountain Hammer as a backup commuter, and a vintage Diamondback I was thinking of converting to a shopping bike.

Got a picture?

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »

My dad rode an old Bianchi until a few months before he passed away. It was a hand me down from one of my brothers. Great bike.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
Ok, I sold two bikes over the last 2 weeks so I'm down to just 5 and two frames/partial bikes.  My plan is to convert the Zaskar into a Kona Cinder Cone and the Hammer into a Bridgestone MB2. 

Got a picture?

Which one?  Or all? 

My dad rode an old Bianchi until a few months before he passed away. It was a hand me down from one of my brothers. Great bike.

Ya, there is a lot of love for Bianchi's out there.  They always seem to demand a premium - particularly the celeste green ones.  Interesting to me is that the Japanese built ones tend to go for less $, but can be quite superior machines to the lower /mid range Italian ones. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Which one?  Or all? 

All, if you like.  But I was most interested in seeing what your 1985 Bianchi looks like.  I might have it's sister in my garage. 

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
I'd like to see a pic of the new titanium bike, if you don't mind, Mr. T.   

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »

2014 Brodie Rodie

1985 Bianchi Rekord 910.

Sorry about the crummy photo of the Bianchi - I haven't taken anything better as I'm still working on the "restoration". Seller advised the Bianchi was bought in Germany (I believe by US service personnel) and imported to the US.  I purchased it from someone in Texas a few years back.  The little I've read about it this is a German market version made by Bianchi.  Apparently German's don't like celeste green so these came in white with red lettering or red with white lettering. I have since stuck red cotton bar tape on it and a new Selle Italia Turbo saddle in black colour.  I've also removed those insane 19mm tires and replaced them with 23mm Vittoria Rubinos.  The stem and bars are changed too - bars are Nitto Noodles and the stem is a 3T Mutant in red.  Don't worry - that's not permanent.  The OE stem was crap and I'm sorting out what size stem to replace it with.  Likely 100mm.   

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »

How do all of your ride your bikes without pedals?

:roll:  I'm going to ask for some for Christmas.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
Velocipede style!  Its the new hipster thing

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »
Thanks.  I'll take a picture of my celeste green '85 bianchi over the weekend and post back.  I don't ride it anymore, but man that bike had the best geometry for me.  Nothing else has ever compared. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks.  I'll take a picture of my celeste green '85 bianchi over the weekend and post back.  I don't ride it anymore, but man that bike had the best geometry for me.  Nothing else has ever compared. 

Cool.  What tubeset and groupset does it have?  Mine is made with a low end Columbus that they made for Bianchi - probably equivalent of 4130 so nothing special. 

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
Forgot about this thread......again. When I get home if I remember I will post pics of my stable.
2008 Cannondale Six13 feminine 3 with combo of 105, ultegra and dura ace
3 year old Rocky Mountain 29'er and a Salsa Mukluk fat bike.
Also have a Trek hybrid for tooling around town. 
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
Forgot about this thread......again. When I get home if I remember I will post pics of my stable.
2008 Cannondale Six13 feminine 3 with combo of 105, ultegra and dura ace
3 year old Rocky Mountain 29'er and a Salsa Mukluk fat bike.
Also have a Trek hybrid for tooling around town. 

❤️
On, Wisconsin

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
I haven't been riding, but I have a 2004 Trek 1200. I might ride a little this weekend.  We are thinking of a near-staycation at a cabin in our local state park.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »
Ok.  So I've bought a new bike.  Its a late 70's or early 80's Apollo.  Its replacing the Bianchi which I've concluded it too small for me.  :(  I'm sorting the Bianchi out for sale. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Oh darn, that reminds me.  I never took that pic of my Bianchi for you.  Soon. 

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Just bought an early 80's or late 70's Apollo bicycle to replace my Bianchi.  Its sweet.  Much more primitive groupset than the Bianchi though, but it rides like a dream and the shifting is pretty smooth even though its friction. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
I am now remembering again why I wanted to upgrade to WSD shifters/brakes.  (And didn't because it would have run 1/2 the cost of the bike new).  Now that I'm having more hand pain and grip strength issues in general, if I really get riding again (have ridden short distances twice now), I will have break down and do something.  My components aren't high enough level that shims are available for the ones I have.  The bike is otherwise a decent fit for me, so I have no great excuse to get something fancier.  (I'd have to drop 15-20 lbs off my own human frame and do some serious riding again for carbon fiber to make sense, although I've lusted in the past.)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
I am now remembering again why I wanted to upgrade to WSD shifters/brakes.  (And didn't because it would have run 1/2 the cost of the bike new).  Now that I'm having more hand pain and grip strength issues in general, if I really get riding again (have ridden short distances twice now), I will have break down and do something.  My components aren't high enough level that shims are available for the ones I have.  The bike is otherwise a decent fit for me, so I have no great excuse to get something fancier.  (I'd have to drop 15-20 lbs off my own human frame and do some serious riding again for carbon fiber to make sense, although I've lusted in the past.)
Check some of the UK online bike stores for replacement parts.  They are generally quite a bit less expensive than the US stores. Check here.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/
https://www.merlincycles.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvtS6BRC8pcKn8OXIg_wBEiQAqtpizxiQHMlJ05B4OAcsstItXxGp3ajLiqao6B9moSyPcz8aAjmo8P8HAQ
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en
www.wiggle.com
www.probikekit.com/home.dept

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
I really don't know what I am doing without my bike shop.  I can barely change a tire.  (Or could.  Right now, with my hands, I probably can't).

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »

I would seriously consider changing the bike over to SRAM.  All of the SRAM groupsets have adjustable reach on the shifters and brake levers.  I plan to get SRAM for MrsT if she keeps riding her road bike.  I wouldn't bother with spending $ on a carbon frame - I think its pretty much just hype for the recreational riding crowd.  A good Aluminium or steel bike will serve you just as well if not better.  If you are comfortable on your current ride you could probably get a full SRAM groupset for around $560 US. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
Back when I was lighter and in shape, I test rode a carbon fiber bike.  I was going uphill in the big ring!  (I never use the big ring; even in great shape I don't have the muscle for it).  It was a noticeable difference.  Unexpectedly so.  But yeah, I was strong, good lung, and as light as it was healthy for me to be at the time.   That's pretty much the conventional wisdom; don't drop small amounts of bike weight unless you've dropped sufficient human weight.  (Different than the huge difference in a bulky hybrid comfort bike and a road bike.)  I have a good road bike. I will have to get past the spending of components the exceed the value of the bike.  The bike was $800ish new.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 09:01:55 PM »
If it's a good frame that fits you, spend away on components with reckless abandon.  Just because the bike came with parts that don't meet your needs, that doesn't mean you can't selectively tweak it into the bike of your dreams. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »
It is so sad that I've done several metric centuries, a multi-day trip, and a 100 miler on this bike, and that currently I can ride about 4 flat miles.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:27 PM »
My new bike is a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 6 Disc. So far, loving it.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
Back when I was lighter and in shape, I test rode a carbon fiber bike.  I was going uphill in the big ring!  (I never use the big ring; even in great shape I don't have the muscle for it).  It was a noticeable difference.  Unexpectedly so.  But yeah, I was strong, good lung, and as light as it was healthy for me to be at the time.   That's pretty much the conventional wisdom; don't drop small amounts of bike weight unless you've dropped sufficient human weight.  (Different than the huge difference in a bulky hybrid comfort bike and a road bike.)  I have a good road bike. I will have to get past the spending of components the exceed the value of the bike.  The bike was $800ish new.

That's an interesting perspective - I've never heard it before.  We generally work on the rotational weight model - which is that the really important weight to remove is the weight that you spin like wheels, pedals, cranks, tires, etc.  But yes, the most important weight to remove from the bike is the excess weight that you carry.  You may have been able to ride that carbon bike up the hill because it was geared lower than your current bike.  Gearing is also a huge factor in performance and comfort for the general riding population.  I switched to a compact crankset on my previous bike and a slightly wider range rear cluster and it made a huge difference for me in hill climbing. 

My new bike is a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 6 Disc. So far, loving it.

Sweet.  I was thinking of looking at the Synapse before I bought my brodie.     

Offline CharleyBrown

• Not Dead
  • L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux
    • Cheeky Fit and Fifty
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
Her name is Buttercup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Nice bike! 

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
The original Enduro

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
Nice! Will you get to take it to Australia?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
Forgot about this thread, Six Tgirteen, Winter and summer Mukluk and Rocky Mountain
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »
Forgot about this thread, Six Tgirteen, Winter and summer Mukluk and Rocky Mountain

Oooh, a fat bike.  If I lived in snow country I think I'd have one of those. 

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
Oooh, a fat bike.  If I lived in snow country I think I'd have one of those. 

They are SOOO much fun, but you don't need to live in snow land. Many of my MTB buddies ride nothing else anymore.

Offline ihop

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
DD is now tall enough to ride my road bike.  She tried it for the first time on Saturday (DH switched out the clips for pedals) and she road 10 miles on Sunday with him.  They both loved it.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
MrsT and the kids were at the fondo finish line last Saturday.  While they didn't see me cross, they did see an 11 year old boy - the youngest person to ride the whole 122 km distance.  Now the kids want to do it too - particularly my son.  The girls may drop off, but I think I need to find a bike suitable for a 10/11 year old to train on. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »
MrsT and the kids were at the fondo finish line last Saturday.  While they didn't see me cross, they did see an 11 year old boy - the youngest person to ride the whole 122 km distance.  Now the kids want to do it too - particularly my son.  The girls may drop off, but I think I need to find a bike suitable for a 10/11 year old to train on. 

DD is 11.  They road again this last weekend - 18 miles I think.  And they promptly went to the bike shop for shorts, shirt, glasses, etc.  DD loves it!

Look for a used road bike that isn't much money?
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »
Here in London I have a Specialized Diverge. Great for commuting and weekend shopping and leisure rides.
In Ireland I have a Specialized Sirrus, old but a lovely bike. Did the Ring of Kerry on it this year.
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
Here in London I have a Specialized Diverge. Great for commuting and weekend shopping and leisure rides.
In Ireland I have a Specialized Sirrus, old but a lovely bike. Did the Ring of Kerry on it this year.

A steel Sirrus?  I really like those old steel specialized and Trek bikes.  I have a friend riding a mid 80's Sequoia.  Wonderful ride.  My Apollo rides much like that. 

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
Not that old, it's an aluminium frame with carbon forks. About 10 years old I guess.
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »
Not that old, it's an aluminium frame with carbon forks. About 10 years old I guess.

Heh, 10 years old qualifies for new(er) in my collection.  Before I picked up the Ti Brodie, my newest bike was my commuter which contains parts from a bike I initially bought in 2009. 

+-SUPPORT US