Author Topic: New shoes: Hooka One:One Clifton 2  (Read 12491 times)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
New shoes: Hooka One:One Clifton 2
« on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »
Hooka One:One Clifton 2 (a stunning lime green). First pair on the second series. More or less the same, some extra padding on the upper and an extra shoelace eye.

Same ride. Same fit. Always a pleasure to go for that first run in new shoes you are used to. My last two pairs of Cliftons are each pushing 500 miles and my legs are feeling it.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: New shoes: Hooka One:One Clifton 2
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
I just broke out my 2nd pair of Clifton 2s.  Love them. The only change I'd make to the next update is to add a bit of reflective detailing.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »
I just started running in a pair of hokas, and I am not very impressed.  The slow you down, I think.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
I just started running in a pair of hokas, and I am not very impressed.  The slow you down, I think.
There is a slight learning curve, imo, wearing them, but i never felt weighed down by them, they are very light. It took about 50 miles to get used to them. Sadly the newer ones still do not fit my foot right so I am still in the Skechers.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
There is a slight learning curve, imo, wearing them, but i never felt weighed down by them, they are very light. It took about 50 miles to get used to them.

I agree. Sometimes in my heavier Hokas I feel like I'm going slower, but my Garmin proves otherwise!

I PRed in the marathon last year in Hoka Cliftons.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
Somebody here mentioned a "lack of responsiveness", maybe Fionn?

I get that and would agree. It's not an issue for me (I'm all about pounding out miles - nothing "speedy" these days) but can understand where a max shoe, especially the Clifton, would get that reaction.

siamesedream

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
Down here they sell the spanish edition: Hoka Jaun Jaun.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
Glad to hear because I read do e complaints that the new Clifton's were a lot more narrow... I need to add a new pair to my rotation soon so they will be broken in by marathon time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
There is a slight learning curve, imo, wearing them, but i never felt weighed down by them, they are very light. It took about 50 miles to get used to them. Sadly the newer ones still do not fit my foot right so I am still in the Skechers.

I think the soft sole slows you down, not the weight.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
I think the soft sole slows you down, not the weight.
I did not notice a slow down, but YMMV.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »

I get that and would agree. It's not an issue for me (I'm all about pounding out miles - nothing "speedy" these days) but can understand where a max shoe, especially the Clifton, would get that reaction.
I agreed with Wu that there is a bit of a lack, but it's a moot point for me on long distance...I'm not turning on a dime, so it's all good...

I'll never go back...I switched back to Mizunos after wearing out 2 pair of Hokas, and bought a pair of Hokas within about the first 100 miles....I was WAITING to get injured in the Mizunos (my old favorites)...I could feel an almost injury after every run...plus, a torn calf which might just have been a coincidence, but the Hokas helped it heal right up....  :heartbeat:

I MIGHT used the Mizunos on 10k and under...but for training, marathons and over, Hoka, baby...

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

I agree with this "lack of responsiveness."  I am not speedy and usually wear them on shorter runs.  Sometimes I feel like I have to work harder to maintain my usual pace - like each stride takes more energy. 
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »
I agree with this "lack of responsiveness."  I am not speedy and usually wear them on shorter runs.  Sometimes I feel like I have to work harder to maintain my usual pace - like each stride takes more energy. 
I'm actually the opposite....like one step rolls into the next!

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
My stride is definitely changed in them. It caused some calf discomfort when I first started running in them earlier this year, but fine now.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
I did have to move on to the Bondi though...due to my strike, I can erase the bottom of a Clifton in 150 miles...and I don't mean "wear the tread down"....I mean I mean just about see my foot through it...but, they are light!!!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
I'm on my third pair of Hokas (and I wear them ALL the way out, so that's a lot of miles).  I'm sticking with them. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:34 PM »
I'm considering a pair but am uncertain.  I've been running and hiking fairly well in Saucony Hurricanes, but am always willing to try something new.  I do a lot of trail running though and appreciate a shoe that's low to the ground.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
I'm considering a pair but am uncertain.  I've been running and hiking fairly well in Saucony Hurricanes, but am always willing to try something new.  I do a lot of trail running though and appreciate a shoe that's low to the ground.

DH kept tripping with them on trails because the sole is so thick.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
DH kept tripping with them on trails because the sole is so thick.
Aren't they a popular shoe with ultra runners though?  Maybe it's a personal thing. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »

I did have to move on to the Bondi though...due to my strike, I can erase the bottom of a Clifton in 150 miles...and I don't mean "wear the tread down"....I mean I mean just about see my foot through it...but, they are light!!!

I have this problem too the tread on one side of my heel comes off.. I showed it to my running store friend.. Maybe I need to consider the bondi.. Is it a neutral shoe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
Pretty much all of the Hoka models are neutral (meaning they do not have a medial post, which is how traditional shoes generally provide arch support) except for the Constant.

However, it seems that because of the wide midsole and excessive cushioning, "neutral" Hoka models seem to provide plenty of support for many overpronators.

When the Clifton first came out, I was certain it would be too neutral for me since I usually use a light-moderate stability shoe. But a video gait analysis showed very good alignment in the Clifton, plus I logged more miles than I ever had before without injury. Several of my former coworkers notice similar things.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »
I wear their trail shoes.  They do put you higher off the ground with all that loft, and that theoretically cranks up the leverage in an ankle roll situation, making it more likely that you would suffer damage if you make a misstep.  But in practice, I find that after you get used to running on top of all that cushion, the shoes  tend to do fine on uneven surfaces.  Obstacles that would throw you off balance in shoes with a harder ride are just enveloped and neutralized.  I like 'em. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
I wear their trail shoes.  They do put you higher off the ground with all that loft, and that theoretically cranks up the leverage in an ankle roll situation, making it more likely that you would suffer damage if you make a misstep.  But in practice, I find that after you get used to running on top of all that cushion, the shoes  tend to do fine on uneven surfaces.  Obstacles that would throw you off balance in shoes with a harder ride are just enveloped and neutralized.  I like 'em.
I'm not just talking an exposed roots uneven and tons of trail camber, I'm talking rocky trails where I stride from the top of one rock to another.  It's why I don't run in the harder soled trail runners, I like to feel like my forefoot is wrapping around the rock a bit.

I have my doubts is all.

I have no idea who this guy is, it seems he's in hokas, but this is my goal run next year.  The first trail he runs up, the Valley Way, there's a sign, is one I ran down a week or so ago.
https://youtu.be/ISbLVrvkN0I
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:20:48 PM by CheryG »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
I have no idea who this guy is, it seems he's in hokas

He seems like the real deal.  Doesn't mean Hokas will work for you, but probably worth a try. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
He seems like the real deal.  Doesn't mean Hokas will work for you, but probably worth a try.
He's Sage Canaday, I googled.  Five hours for a Presi traverse, the day after racing the auto road, is quite impressive.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »
He's Sage Canaday, I googled.  Five hours for a Presi traverse, the day after racing the auto road, is quite impressive.

Yep, but Sage is sponsored by Hoka, so you have to consider the possibility that he's just selling his soul and that the Hokas are actually a terrible choice.  That's where people like me and others here who have no commercial interest in the question come in handy.  Buy a pair and see what you think. 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
Sage Canaday is a legit trail/ultra champion.

Yes he's sponsored by Hoka and like most runners of his caliber, could run in Keds and kick major ass. But Hoka started gaining popularity among the trail/ultra crowd out west because the cushion is so protective on your feet on those rocky, technical downhills. I understand the concern about being a bit higher up though, but many trail/ultra people are loving the Hokas.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 08:19:39 AM »
I'll check to see if the 30 day guarantee is available through retailers and not just Hoka online.  I'd love to give them a try to see what all the fuss is about.  I'll never know until I do!

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
I'll check to see if the 30 day guarantee is available through retailers and not just Hoka online.  I'd love to give them a try to see what all the fuss is about.  I'll never know until I do!
They're not magic or anything, but they've saved me a ton of pebble bruises and allowed my PF AND torn calf to heal in record time while maintaining mileage (when EVERYTHING else said rest for 6 weeks)...

For a dude like me who'll run a lot more marathons but never win one, I don't know what more I could expect from a shoe...and, I typically can find last year's model for less than half of the current models, so price isn't prohibitive, even to a jobroni like me...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
I never had an issue with them on trails.

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
I'm terrified to try a new shoe but I'm interested in everyone's review. 
I need a stability shoe and now have severe plantar fascitiis (I recall Fionn claiming that Hokas cured his PF) and possibly nerve damage (MRI to follow). 
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »
I wear Earth negative heel shoes outside of running. My heel sits lower than the forefoot and this keeps the achilles stretched and really helps tremendously in preventing PF for me. And massage.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
I wear Earth negative heel shoes outside of running. My heel sits lower than the forefoot and this keeps the achilles stretched and really helps tremendously in preventing PF for me. And massage.
That's cool...I have to work on my calves a lot...I never want to hear a muscle pop again...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 06:17:13 AM »
If I do not wear them to work, I get PF pain. I love them. They prob are not the cure for everyone, but for me it worked.

+-SUPPORT US