Author Topic: Going to dinner at client's house, need wine help.  (Read 3400 times)

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
Going to dinner at client's house, need wine help.
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
So we have these new clients. Lovely people, and the wife and I really clicked talking books. They have invited us to dinner and she's cooking. So what do I bring? Don't know yet what she is making. Seems that wine would be a good plan.

Normally I would be pretty safe with Spanish wine, but I live in the boonies, and don't have time to search out a decent wine store. Maybe Ingles will have something?

Also we are normally hermits who sit at home and don't talk to people, but I really like her! So I want to impress my new friend.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Going to dinner at client's house, need wine help.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »
So we have these new clients. Lovely people, and the wife and I really clicked talking books. They have invited us to dinner and she's cooking. So what do I bring? Don't know yet what she is making. Seems that wine would be a good plan.

Normally I would be pretty safe with Spanish wine, but I live in the boonies, and don't have time to search out a decent wine store. Maybe Ingles will have something?

Also we are normally hermits who sit at home and don't talk to people, but I really like her! So I want to impress my new friend.

Okay, first, bring two bottles not just one.  There are four of you, and even if you don't get into the second bottle, they'll appreciate your generosity.  Second, you really need to know what she's making and it's not impolite to ask.  Tell her you will be bringing the wine and ask her if a red or a white will be best.  That will let her know she doesn't have to worry about supplying the wine and will give you the information you need to make a good choice.  If it's a red wine occasion, buy a nice cabernet sauvignon.  If a white would be better, get something crisp and clean.  A sauvignon blanc or an unoaked chardonnay would be perfect.  If there's any doubt, a nice pinot noir would be a good call.  It's the white wine of red wines, or the red wind of whites depending on where you are coming from.  When I say "nice" just think > $20/bottle and you'll generally be fine. 

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
Thank you, Radial!!  :smiliewine:

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »
Wish I would've seen this! How was the dinner? It's really nice when you click with someone.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
The dinner didn't work out because of timing, so we went over the next day for lunch. It was a nice time. She made a really awesome chili and we talked about books. She has read a similar assortment of weird books that I have, so we have a lot to talk about!

+-SUPPORT US