Forum > Forum Status and Maintenance

Stability Issues

(1/5) > >>

GeekMaster:
We seem to be experiencing more stability issues as time goes by.

I'm wondering if the messages table should be pruned.  That's the table that contains all of the posts and there are over 666,900 of them.

I would like to cut that number by 50% if possible.

I propose to remove threads that have had no replies for 90 days.

Give me a list of threads that you think should NOT be removed.  I have not yet decided when to do this so you have some time to think about it.

Thanks,
Mike

one strange sentence:
"Is this an issue of bandwidth or the level of service at which your database exists?" he asked, dimly aware of certain considerations but not really knowing a fucking thing about databases. "What I'm getting at is, if even fifty people were to pony up even five or ten bucks apiece, would that et you operate at a higher level?

"That said, I wouldn't have a problem with pruning topics older than X number of days," he added. "If I find myself desperate to unearth all of my old offensive remarks and such I can use the WayBack Machine."

longpig:

--- Quote from: Third-Person Panache on September 01, 2010, 11:38:13 AM ---"What I'm getting at is, if even fifty people were to pony up even five or ten bucks apiece, would that et you operate at a higher level?

--- End quote ---
I'd be up for that.

This could be a fun trawl through classic threads. :d
I think we should keep this one http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=37544.0

Belgian Lace:
Prune after 90 days.

Otherwise, we'll all turn into a bunch of imaginary hoarders.

Let them go.

GeekMaster:

--- Quote ---Is this an issue of bandwidth or the level of service at which your database exists?

--- End quote ---

"Yes", the GeekMeister replied, "those are always factors to consider."

"But", the High Priest of Geekdom continued, "It is more likely that the causes lie in our stars or, rather, elsewhere. Given that optimizing tables or restarting the MYSQL daemon often fixes the immediate problems I would say that the major issues are within the database."

"So", His Most Holy of Holy and Grand TechnoBabbleGivers proclaimed, "there will be blood of the database variety."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version