Author Topic: Perpetual Healthy Eating and Fitness Rant & Rave thread  (Read 1579127 times)

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
Perpetual Healthy Eating and Fitness Rant & Rave thread
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
Good morning!  After the spectacular success of the WLC (thanks again, Ellen), let's keep the ball rolling.  Some of us (me) still need to lose a few or a few dozen.  Some want support for maintenance.  Some want rocking abs, a saucy ass or perfect arms.  Chime in here with your gripes, brags, whines, goals, and strategies.

I weighed in this morning EXACTLY where I wanted to be yesterday for the end of the WLC.  Sigh.   At least I'm starting February strong.

I was so tempted yesterday by all the talk of ramen and cookies in the CH.  I couldn't get my mind off snacking.  I'm glad I drank water instead!

Last night I dragged out some of my old spring clothes, ones I haven't been able to wear in 10 years.
I brought out my favorite pink spring skirt. Slipped it on. It zipped without complaint. Sure, it didn't hang quite right, and I need to lose a few more before it looks as good as it used to.

IT'S A SIZE 5/6!!!!!

I am giddy. None of my day-to-day clothes are anywhere near a 5/6.

Ab challenge:  What are you doing to get rocking abs?

I'm continuing to work Convict Conditioning, which is a system of bodyweight exercises designed to take you from fresh meat to ruling the yard.   The corny macho shit is silly, but the exercise program is excellent.  I've moved out of phase 1 into phase 2, moving from standing pushups and pullups to waist-level pushups and pullups.  I feel it in my arms but also in my back and abs. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:07:55 AM by MiniDriver »
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual Healthy Eating and Fitness Rant & Rave thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
Rowed a mile, did 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats and rowed another mile the other day. My elbows hate me today. It hurts to straighten them out.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
Ugh. Yesterday was my first diet fail, which I suppose isn't so bad considering today is day 1, week 7.

Anyway, dd's school had a screening of that finding kind movie I posted y'day. It was at 6:30 and we rushed there right from tennis, that started at 4:30. I had a small snack before leaving home, but by 9:30, I was starving. I decided to just go through the drive through at taco time. I figured I could get dd something and id just heat up soup. Didn't quite workout that way so I was 2-300 cals over yesterday.

Problem is- I already have two meals out on the calendar this week. Planned splurges are good, unplanned... Notsomuch

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
Morning!  I'm down 2 lbs today from yesterday.  Motivation, I guess.  4 treadmill miles this am.  I've decided to be strict with myself for two weeks.  No snacks, no cheating.  No wine  :skeered:   since  Monday I've eaten a yogurt for breakfast, salad for lunch and a healthy dinner.  Tonight is curried chickpeas with quinoa, something i finally tried and really like.  Ive avoided situps/pushups but they will be making a comeback shortly.  Thanks for starting this thread, I definitely want to keep checking in!

Offline Yogi

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
I have posted before about people at work struggling with fitness and generally being weird about food (the vegan who eats shrimp, for example). Well everyone is back on the fad diet bandwagon doing cleanses and fasts and I can't take it. I cannot listen to them encourage each other with misinformation. And they don't want to hear anything I have to say because they see what I eat (and what I don't eat), know that I run, and don't want to do any of that.

:argh:

Offline crazypants

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
Yogi, that sucks.  I had a coworker try to convince me that master cleanse was the BEST THING EVER.

I'm honestly a little nervous about not having the WLC. I know if I stay the course I'll be fine, and that nothing really changed.  But somehow something seems missing.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »
*yawn*

I'm awake, so I guess that's a start, at least?

I had a friend who did the cleanse thing once while we were working together. Despite the fact that, by the end, she was shaky, tired, and weak, she still insisted it was a good thing. I don't get it.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Yogi

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
*yawn*

I had a friend who did the cleanse thing once while we were working together. Despite the fact that, by the end, she was shaky, tired, and weak, she still insisted it was a good thing. I don't get it.

1. They are already complaining about headaches and low energy. It sucks.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Re: Re: Perpetual Healthy Eating and Fitness Rant & Rave thread
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
*yawn*

And diarrhea.  But it's *healthy* diarrhean. WTF.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
Yogi-- DH is on a juicing kick right now  :eyeroll: but otherwise he would not eat fruit and veggies, so i guess it is good.

I am stuck and annoyed and frustrated as usual. I have been really sick and not eating for about a week, or barely eating, and am only down a pound. sigh. i would be a crappy anorexic. All i can hope to gain from this week of illness (starting to feel a bit better today and can swallow better) is my stomach shrinking, haha!

as far as abs, i do my measly ab exercises post run a few times a week. I am applying for Badwater again (this week!!!) and if I do not get in I may allocate my $$ saved for that towards Crossfit or something similar. I feel mushy and weak. I have been doing some hand weights, but i need more.

On the food side, I have been doing really well overall.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
I didn't play the WLC, but just started the instinct diet last week. (see thread in Food)   I've lost 5 lbs!   And the best thing is that I'm not starving on a daily basis.  I actually feel more even-keeled than usual.

I do have a planned splurge during the Super Bowl, but it's not going to be a crazy binge-fest or anything. 

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

as far as abs, i do my measly ab exercises post run a few times a week. I am applying for Badwater again (this week!!!) and if I do not get in I may allocate my $$ saved for that towards Crossfit or something similar. I feel mushy and weak. I have been doing some hand weights, but i need more. 

Crossfit is free!  You don't have to join a specific gym for it, although you can.

-Tom Wolfe

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
WLC was a great experience for me!

My goal right now is to maintain or even lose a few more. I have a half on the 19th that I would like to do well in, and I have a backup in April if the first one disappoints. I also got 15 visits to a local gym through Groupon... the only problem is that it's a drive, and I'm not into that. But I want to take some real yoga classes, and maybe some spin classes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Crossfit is free!  You don't have to join a specific gym for it, although you can.
i think i need some motivation and guidance to start at least.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
i think i need some motivation and guidance to start at least.

Come visit, I'll get you going.

-Tom Wolfe

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
Come visit, I'll get you going.
are you anywhere near me? i would totally be open to that. i am trying to find someone to split the training costs with me right now.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
I had my Biggest Loser weigh in this morning and stayed the same.. which I guess is ok since I was down 3 each of the two weeks prior.. so 6 lbs in 3 weeks is not bad.  I have been logging my food, but probably on the high end...

I really want to have a good week this week..there are going to be all kinds of temptations at work because it's "spirit" week and apparently the only way they know how to show spirit is with food... ughh..

20 minutes of elliptical this morning before my hour training session with my group.  We did strength alternated with running laps and I was dripping.. We mostly concentrated on abs and lower body today.  We are some kind of cardio challenge on Friday. 

Offline debbatx

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
Oh, for the abs question - I have a 5-minute abs workout app on my phone that I use on occasion. Also, yoga and workouts with my trainer.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
I had my Biggest Loser weigh in this morning and stayed the same.. which I guess is ok since I was down 3 each of the two weeks prior.. so 6 lbs in 3 weeks is not bad.  I have been logging my food, but probably on the high end...

If you're still doing the i-diet, this happened to me about this time also. I lost about 5lbs in 10 days and then I was stuck for the next 5 days- gained and then losth the same 1lb... finally at the end of week 2 I started to lose again. I have emailed with the i-diet folks a few times and apparently this is very common as your fat loss catches up with the water you shed initially.

+-SUPPORT US