Forum > General Fitness

Kettlebell

(1/3) > >>

Lintu:
Anyone do kettlebell exercises?  Is it intuitive enough to do at home with DVDs as opposed to signing up for a paid class at the gym?  The articles I read are pretty compelling with regard to calorie burn per minute and how it's a full body exercise.

Yogi:
You can do them at home with a DVD. Just really watch the form of the instructor. The basic swing really comes from the legs... you aren't lifting the kettlebell the way you would lift a freeweight, from stillness, using your shoulders, and then dropping it back down to stillness. It's a swing that starts with bending the legs the legs. You might be able to find some good vs. bad kettlebell technique comparisons on Youtube (if I remember correctly Jillian Michaels was slammed for posting a video using terrible technique).

Kettlebells are great, though. I love them. Ten Turkish Getups and you'll feel it!!

Lintu:
I'm a little scared it'll kick my ass :D  I have no idea what weight to start with!  Any pointers for figuring that out if I don't have them on hand to try?

Richard21142:

--- Quote from: Lintu on February 04, 2013, 02:42:46 PM ---I'm a little scared it'll kick my ass :D  I have no idea what weight to start with!  Any pointers for figuring that out if I don't have them on hand to try?

--- End quote ---

Go somewhere where they sell them and pick some up.  If they don't have kettle bells, you could pick up some dumbells to get a feel for your optimum weight.

Yogi:

--- Quote from: Lintu on February 04, 2013, 02:42:46 PM ---I'm a little scared it'll kick my ass :D  I have no idea what weight to start with!  Any pointers for figuring that out if I don't have them on hand to try?

--- End quote ---

Many gyms have them on hand now. But like Richard said, you could go to a fitness supply store or probably even Target and give them a shot. You want to go heavy since a lot of the technique comes from the legs. You can go heavier on the actual kettlebell.... probably 15-18lbs to start but you'll go heavier relatively quickly.

If you order a kettlebell online it will most likely come with a DVD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version