Author Topic: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!  (Read 31141 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
Mini- let me know how those turn out. I have had 99% success with her recipes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Mini- let me know how those turn out. I have had 99% success with her recipes.

It was a fail for me.  The cabbage was tough, and didn't roll well.  There was way too much of everything - why are there always tons of leftovers of stuff that doesn't go over well?  The stuffing was bland and needed more oomph.  The sauce was good, but not a good sauce-to-roll ratio.  I ended up with about a quart of leftover filling, 5 cabbage rolls that didn't fit into my pan (10 barely fit into a lasagna pan) and no leftover sauce. 

I found I needed to bake at 350 for an hour and half for the rolls to be fully heated in the middle, the sauce to be bubbling, and the cabbage was still tough.

Not a repeater, though I'll be eating the leftovers for weeks in penance.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »
I threw together a farro, beet, butternut squash and cucumber salad this weekend.

Cut the squash into small cubes and roasted with olive oil, salt and an Italian herb blend.  Boiled, peeled and chopped up the beets and tossed with the squash, cooked farro and cucumber. salt and pepper to taste.  My non-vegan addition: feta cheese.

Very tasty. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
It was a fail for me. 

Ugh. I'm so sorry you've had so many duds.  :( This is one of the reasons I generally avoid blogs. The food is often mediocre at best. If you're feeling your resolve waiver, I'd stick to published cook books and magazines for a while. Not that you won't run into the ocassional dud... but I seem to have better luck with tested recipes myself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
It was a fail for me.  The cabbage was tough, and didn't roll well.  There was way too much of everything - why are there always tons of leftovers of stuff that doesn't go over well?  The stuffing was bland and needed more oomph.  The sauce was good, but not a good sauce-to-roll ratio.  I ended up with about a quart of leftover filling, 5 cabbage rolls that didn't fit into my pan (10 barely fit into a lasagna pan) and no leftover sauce. 

I found I needed to bake at 350 for an hour and half for the rolls to be fully heated in the middle, the sauce to be bubbling, and the cabbage was still tough.

:( i forget, was the cabbage blanched first? Most recipes I have seen blanch the cabbage leaves.

My very first recipe from her blog was an utter fail, but i eventually tried again and almost all of them were smashing successes. theppk.com which people hail her blog and her cookbooks, i have had really mixed success with her recipes.

I like blog recipes because i read through the comments (but nothing irks me more than non helpful comments like, oh it looks good, just effing tell me if you made it and how it was!) and look at alterations and substitutions people make. I find with a lot of recipes i have to adjust the seasoning and usually add A LOT more seasonings than the recipes called for.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
theppk.com which people hail her blog and her cookbooks, i have had really mixed success with her recipes.

I like blog recipes because i read through the comments (but nothing irks me more than non helpful comments like, oh it looks good, just effing tell me if you made it and how it was!) and look at alterations and substitutions people make. I find with a lot of recipes i have to adjust the seasoning and usually add A LOT more seasonings than the recipes called for.

I agree with both of these things. I am not a fan of the ppk. I have tried several of the recipes and they aren't for me. Also, if you're concerned about weight management- they definitely do not skimp on fat!

I also add way more seasoning than a recipe calls for.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
I agree with both of these things. I am not a fan of the ppk. I have tried several of the recipes and they aren't for me. Also, if you're concerned about weight management- they definitely do not skimp on fat!

I also add way more seasoning than a recipe calls for.
and i got her low fat cookbook and thought it was LAME-O!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »

don't make cabbage rolls in rolls.  layer the cabbage and filling like a lasagna.  it cuts down on time and effort, and the results are more thoroughly cooked.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

I hate wasting food, but I always give myself permission to throw out leftovers that I really don't like. I feel like this policy allows me to experiment with new recipes without fretting about the consequences.

ETA: I usually try to eat at least one "leftover portion" of each new recipe because they do sometimes get better with time and/or reheating. If I still dislike it after that, I don't force myself to eat the rest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:26:19 PM by Clementine »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
I hate wasting food, but I always give myself permission to throw out leftovers that I really don't like. I feel like this policy allows me to experiment with new recipes without fretting about the consequences.

ETA: I usually try to eat at least one "leftover portion" of each new recipe because they do sometimes get better with time and/or reheating. If I still dislike it after that, I don't force myself to eat the rest.

I would agree on this, but I must say that it does not ahppen often.  If you like to eat all the ingredients separately, it's not likley that a recipe will turn out bad.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
I threw together a farro, beet, butternut squash and cucumber salad this weekend.

Cut the squash into small cubes and roasted with olive oil, salt and an Italian herb blend.  Boiled, peeled and chopped up the beets and tossed with the squash, cooked farro and cucumber. salt and pepper to taste.  My non-vegan addition: feta cheese.

Very tasty. :)

That sounds delicious!  I love beets.

#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
I made happy hebivore hippie loaf for dinner, with spme alterations, super yummy! Mine fell apart but i omitted flour and forgot to mash beans :D i kept adding seasonings to taste before puting in oven

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
Made Creamy Cashew veggie pot pie yesterday, very tasty.  I think without the creamy cashew sauce it wouldn't be as tasty.  I used bisquick instead of making the biscuit dough, because I am notoriously bad at biscuits.

Also made Sunshine Muffins this weekend.  Use oj instead of egg  and left out the sugar and they were wonderful. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
Pinning the muffins! You can also use flax meal instead of egg, 1 tbs mixed with 3 tbs warm water = 1 egg in baking.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Bump because this is a great thread.

+-SUPPORT US