Author Topic: Base Build Up: From Jogger to Runner  (Read 25549 times)

iwuzwilson

Re: Base Build Up: From Jogger to Runner
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
You get out of it what you put into it.  I don't know if there is any other sport that this holds more true for.  If you're starting from scratch and going up to 20-30 minutes a few times a week, then naturally you'll have a big improvement curve at first.  You'll likely plateau a bit sooner than others who delve further into the training plans, but you'll at least be able to do the distance in respectable fashion.  From there you need to decide what the improvement is worth for you.  Lots of people are perfectly content with the few days a week plan and they're not exactly going to be world beaters, but thats fine and it works for them.  Running for an hour plus can seem daunting to many.  You could vomit and stuff. 

I don't think that's the sort of person Wilson had in mind when he was drawing this schedule up anyhow.  Intimidating I could see, but is it really that complicated to follow a daily schedule that's been laid out for you? 

When all else fails, just listen to Bowerman: "Take a primitive organism, say a freshman. Make it lift, or jump or run. Let it rest. What happens? A little miracle. It gets a little better. It gets a little stronger or faster or more enduring. That’s all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You’d think any damn fool could do it. But you don’t. You work too hard and rest too little and get hurt.”

This is more or less the point. You choose your own level and how long it takes to get to a given level. It's as simple as that.

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »
I feel stupid.  I didn't notice these, Wilson.  I'm printing them out.  I need structure and goals.  Thanks for this.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
taz, yes it starts with the goals you set!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
If someone wants to enter fun runs and not be in perfect race condition, then they aren't really the target market for Wilson's advice, right?

People race for all different reasons - you can race all kinds of distances because you just plain enjoy it or as part of your goal-setting - not the same things as being dismissed as just entering "fun runs." I sign up for races because having a target for increasing mileage or a reason to keep up with running is good for me, because it's fun to get out and see the other people I know who run, and because mr. cgraz and I enjoy doing them together - not because I want to work toward being in perfect condition, and not always to achieve a specific time or try for a PR.

I doubt I have ever been or will ever be in perfect race condition, but I would still like to increase and improve my running. I don't see Wilson's advice as targeted exclusively toward competitive runners, but I definitely was a little intimidated by it upon first read, and figured I could take a few ideas from it and apply them at my own level in a way that makes sense to me.
This space for rent.

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
I'm not intimidated, but need to work on consistency and self-discipline to do strides as suggested.  The local 1/2 marathon got taken over by rock n roll series and is crazy expensive, but I may still do it in March.  Or may opt for 1/2 in Illinois for late April.  I'll get there.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 07:14:02 PM »
5.25 in unexpectedly warm conditions.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
5.25 in unexpectedly warm conditions.

I think this most certainly qualifies you as a runner, and not a jogger. ;)

thanks for taking the time to put these up, Wilson.  I have just now read this one, and love it.  I think this kind of stuff is exactly what this forum needed to get more participation. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »
Thanks again for creating this resource for us Wilson. Now that I'm allowed to increase my mileage again, I'm going to try following the intermediate plan. :)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »
Can you update the schedules in the first post? The links no longer work. I want to build up my base. Thanks!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »
I'll stick to running, thank you.

+-SUPPORT US