Author Topic: Thanksgiving!  (Read 25676 times)

Offline mango

• The Runners
Re: Thanksgiving!
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
I once made a full thanksgiving dinner for just myself.

Nice.
What did you make?

One of these years, I might try that for me and myself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I once made a full thanksgiving dinner for just myself.

1.  several times.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
Nice.
What did you make?

One of these years, I might try that for me and myself.

I used cornish game hen instead of turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
Gravy
cranberry sauce
green beans
rolls
and pie

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Two years ago I roasted a turkey for myself.  I always go to dinner at a relative's house, so I only get a little bit of leftovers.  I wanted my own turkey leftovers!  So I picked up the smallest bird I could find, roasted it, and then put half of the meat in the freezer to use later. 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
my brother is hosting this year; i've been asked to provide a side featuring mushrooms, and to procure the bevvies.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »
Are the yeast flakes there for flavor or something else?
for flavor. They have a nutty/cheezy taste.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
for flavor. They have a nutty/cheezy taste.

Interesting, thanks!

I guess one who isn't following a veggie lifestyle could sub Parmesan or something similar? 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
The year Reid was born, my niece was only 6 weeks old, and I couldn't travel to my parents', so they did a traveling Thanksgiving. They cooked everything at their house the night before, then drove up that morning for lunch with me and DH, left us some leftovers (not NEARLY enough for someone who was 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant), and then took the rest to Houston for dinner with my sister, BIL, and the baby. My dad had the cooler totally ready to go - our servings were on one side, and my sister's were on the other. It was pretty damn awesome. On Friday and Saturday, they helped my sister and BIL move to their new house, and then headed back to SA on Saturday afternoon - just in time to get the call that we were at the hospital. DH called again after Reid was born, and mom said that they were literally a mile from a cutoff that allowed them to get to Austin MUCH faster, rather than going all the way to SA and then up to Austin. It worked out beautifully.

"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »

• has no fucks to give
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
Interesting, thanks!

I guess one who isn't following a veggie lifestyle could sub Parmesan or something similar?
maybe, but maybe not w this recipe. It is a unique taste. Our natural food store sells it in bulk so you can buy a little or a lot to try. We put it on popcorn :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
too bad you don't live closer to come to the vegan restaurant :D Already drooling. They had a mashed potato platter shaped like a turkey with tofu skin and eyes made out of olives and a carrot beak, i was about to take a pic but then a guy came and scooped the head off :D

Oooh, that does sound fun! Not sure what my veggie option will be this year, but two years ago we smoked some tofu for me, which was tasty.

What about dressing and sweet potatoes and pie??

Even when I ate meat I wasn't a big fan of stuffing.

Pie is good. I definitely like pie. Especially if there is whipped cream involved!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »
we usually have several veggie sides - roasted veggies, gbc, stuffing, cranberries, maybe salad, I even make gravy. The only nonveg thing is usually the turkey.  :D

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 04:52:12 AM »
Ok, how about this instead? Bonita introduced it to me a few tg's ago. Amazing! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-and-Creamed-Spinach-Gratin-236374

This looks fantastic http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cauliflower-and-Broccoli-Flan-with-Spinach-Bechamel-232078

:)

I'm just kidding... The first one you posted is probably good...  I have heart disease so all the ones with butter and cream and cheeze whiz  :nono:, etc are persona non grata at su casa. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
we usually have several veggie sides - roasted veggies, gbc, stuffing, cranberries, maybe salad, I even make gravy. The only nonveg thing is usually the turkey.  :D

yup yup

and I make double the amount of apricot-cranberry sauce.  because it always tastes so good with all the roasted veggies, I alone can eat a huge amount.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
saw on Pinterest that Trader Joes is selling a vegan thanksgiving feast thing (like a tofurkey), since i know there is a TJs near you Ecodork.

+-SUPPORT US