Author Topic: I made a good dinner tonite!  (Read 3311 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
I made a good dinner tonite!
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
I don't just "whip something up". There are a handful of things I can do from memory, but I look at a lot of recipes. I was going to do a whole chicken in the crockpot, but every time I cook in my crockpot I'm disappointed. So I came home from work early and just decided to roast the chicken in the oven.
I cooked it the way this site suggested, high heat then decrease.
http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-best-blasted-rapid-roast-whole-chicken-221743
I used the same seasonings on the recipe but added dried rosemary. The chicken was so pretty and crispy. I was going to do the chicken and some mashed potatoes and asparagus, but the dish I roasted the chicken in was so big so I decided to cut up some carrots, onions, and baby red potatoes and roast them with the chicken. Everything turned out good and it was very easy. DH loved it, Adam wouldn't touch it.
I'll definitely use the cooking method from now on I think. I've never down that and the chicken was pretty moist.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: I made a good dinner tonite!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
Nice going!  I am a little squeamish about doing a whole chicken.

I made a good dinner tonight, too!   Arugula and tomato salad, baked acorn squash, and this turkey meatloaf:  It came together quickly because I sauteed the veg the night before.  Super yum!

2 T vegetable oil
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 small leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced, washed and dried
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c shredded fontina cheese (I used gouda)
1 slice day-old bread, cubed
1 egg (I used 1 and a half)
1 T chopped fresh sage (I used dried thyme instead because I think my sage plant wants to die.)
1 1/2 lb ground turkey, 93% lean. (I only had 1 and 1/4 lb)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Working in batches, cook mushrooms, stirring once or twice, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large mixing bowl.

Return skillet to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add to bowl with mushrooms and let cool.

Add fontina, bread, egg, and sage to bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Mix in turkey, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. On a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, use your hands to form turkey mixture into a 10-inch loaf. Bake until cooked through, about 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
That looks like something DH would like. I'll have to try it!

And I hate cleaning whole chickens. It takes me longer to clean the chicken, then clean the dishes and sink (I spray bleach obsessively after handling raw chicken) than it does for me to cook the meal.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
Sounds good, MG!

SG - your salad and squash sound delicious.  I'm not a big fan of ground turykey though.

I made a whole chicken in the crockpot - it is super simple, just some poulty seasoning and lemon yogurt - but the meat falls off the bone and is very tasty.  We had sauteed spinach and a salad with a lot of fruit in it and a champagne pear vinaigrette.  It was really yummy and I'm full to bursting right now.   :-[

+-SUPPORT US